Jump from traditional media to digital painting
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Jump from traditional media to digital painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jump from traditional media to digital painting

Hello,

At first i would like to apologize if i'am posting my question at wrong section on the forum.

I am drawing for around 5 years now with traditional media and i have brought a graphic tablet (something cheap for a start - bamboo pen) because i would like to learn digital painting, however i have absolutely no idea about basics - where should i place my tablet on the table,should it be in front of me (like a peace of paper in tm) or a little to the right ? What's the most common way of holding a pen ? (i am asking because my hand hurt after around 10mins if i try my traditional drawing grip).

Overall using a tablet feels a bit weird for me, for example i can draw a pretty much straight line or a "perfect" circle freehand on a paper without focusing too much on it,but in photoshop i can't do anything like that.I know i may need more practice but i would love to hear some tips on switching from traditional to digital media.

Thanks !

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I use a traditional drawing grip for my pencil and it works fine. I sit my tablet in front of the keyboard or monitor or balance it in my lap. As for circles squares and straight lines, you don't need to in Photoshop it does it for you. Get used to using the features in Photoshop to quicken your work flow.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 4