Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Spartan Camp #250- 50 gestures + Optional "Lying Figure Study"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Spartan Camp #250- 50 gestures + Optional "Lying Figure Study"

Spartan Camp #250- 50 gestures + Optional "Lying Figure Study"

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 13th of January.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Lying Figure Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

Background
    This year, we're starting off with a straightforward study! Often, the gestures we draw (whether from imagination or reference) will be standing in one way or another. This week we'll add some variation by going with a figure that is lying down. This can prove to be a challenge as the weight distribution is completely different. Foreshortening is very likely to occur in your reference, and you may need to put some extra attention to perspective.

Exercise
    Simply perform a study of a figure that is lying down. You can take it as far as you want, from a gesture to a fully rendered study.

Reference
    A couple of suggestions;
    Gesture drawing tools like Pixelovely and Lovecastle.org tend to have some suitable poses.
    Characterdesigns.com Has a couple of really good galleries as well. Out of the first 10 galleries, at least 2,3,4 and 9 have poses that can be used.

Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #249

Flashback
    e-nat
    Animare
    Olooriel
    Klaustrophil
    Jesus Masochist

Last edited by Anthis; January 2nd, 2013 at 05:52 PM.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dear spartans,
    Happy new year!

Couple of things-

- Perhaps I missed something, but I could not access this place for the last few days. Hence the delayed post and the extended deadline.
    - I am still not quite certain but I believe lying to be the correct spelling. As in, he/she is lying down. I thought it was laying at first. Correct me if I'm wrong . The subject for this weeks optional study is not supposed to be telling lies.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dear spartans,
    Happy new year!

Couple of things-

- Perhaps I missed something, but I could not access this place for the last few days. Hence the delayed post and the extended deadline.
    - I am still not quite certain but I believe lying to be the correct spelling. As in, he/she is lying down. I thought it was laying at first. Correct me if I'm wrong . The subject for this weeks optional study is not supposed to be telling lies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy New Year!

30 sec
    Name:  30 sec.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  191.8 KB
    90 sec
    Name:  90 sec.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  139.1 KB

60 sec optional study from quickposes. Tried to work a bit with line flow

Name:  60 sec.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  166.5 KB

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to - nat - For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spartaaaaaaa...happy new year.

Big shot out to SenshiStock: http://senshistock.deviantart.com/

Amazing stock photos and very good for studies.

photostudies:

Attached Images Attached Images                

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Klaustrophil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay new week.
    Here's what I did yesterday.
    1st 30min class of various times ranging from 30sec to 11mins.
    2nd is some 30second poses.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Animare For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's hoping CA doesn't have malware
    10 mins

Name:  gestures 10mins.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  182.5 KB

imagination
    Name:  imagination poses.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  135.8 KB

Last edited by - nat -; January 4th, 2013 at 01:36 AM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to - nat - For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy Newyear amigos! I couldn't acces the site for a while, but it's good to see everybody kept up posting! Nice work as always. Thanks for that link Klaustrophil!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Don't kill me...

I had made a New Year Resolution on getting serious about what I want to do and accomplish. These are all around 2-15 minute poses. What I find most hard to accomplish is getting the full figure in that said amount of time. Do you guys have any suggestions or advice?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eskeleto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some 1 minute posemaniac sketches, though not yet 50...
    Name:  iste_figuredrawing2.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  281.1 KB

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olooriel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskeleto View Post
    I had made a New Year Resolution on getting serious about what I want to do and accomplish. These are all around 2-15 minute poses. What I find most hard to accomplish is getting the full figure in that said amount of time. Do you guys have any suggestions or advice?
    Yeah, my advice is the following: "it's going to get worse before it gets better". Everytime I have improved in my drawing studies, I have allowed myself to take a step back. Allow me to do bad drawings. I used to think 1 min was not enough to draw a figure, these days I have time to add in detail. When you do these quick studies, don't focus on getting accurate. Just try to get everything down on the page. I usually "map" the figure out, by drawing suggestions of important forms (hips, feet, shoulder, head, hands).Once you find a way to draw the entire body in the targeted time, you can then work on improving the actual drawing, getting accurate proportions etc..I'll try to give more detailed advice when I get some more time, or maybe the experienced guys here can tell you a bit more.

I included a cool drawing below. Look at that first sketch that grabs the pose, it captures the pose, it suggests anatomy. Avoid doing silhouettes, but draw from within the body:

Name:  268543_485102721527999_378133176_n.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  78.1 KB

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Eskeleto, the only thing I'd add is to draw consistently every day, could be 15 minutes could be an hour or more. Just set yourself practical goals and don't be discouraged. Try to have fun with what you study. If it's a pain then your subconscious will resist it (draw with pens, markers, pencils, digital, whatever media that captures your fancy). As for everything else, I wholeheartedly agree with Hamorhage.

@ Hamorhage, Thank you so much for the tips! I made that quick tutorial my desktop background

5 mins

Today
    Name:  gestures 5 mins.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  396.5 KB

(done on Jan 5th)
    Name:  cat gestures.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  176.3 KB

24. The Following User Says Thank You to - nat - For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,
    Finally posting some art myself. Was a bit sick this week, but I joined the first life drawing session in Dublin anyway.

Btw: e-nat, that's some really nice work, but pls use a different brush. Maybe you should use a harder brush with some texture.
    The drawings and tonal treatment however are ace! ...and just warning you, I will have to copy that!

20-30 mins

Name:  session1_f.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  209.5 KBName:  session1_g.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  139.9 KB

1 min poses

Name:  session1_collect.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  112.7 KB

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! New to this Spartan thing, but I just came across this thread, I hope it's okay for me to join in.

I gave myself a challenge a few days ago to do a Draw 100 Project. I've drawn so far over 100, 1 minute female gestures, and over 100, 1 minute male gestures, and I hope it's okay if I share them with you here!

Name:  6jan1min resized.png
Views: 455
Size:  493.8 KB
    Name:  7Jan 1min Female 31-69 resized.png
Views: 281
Size:  244.2 KB
    Name:  8jan 1min female 70-104 resized.png
Views: 370
Size:  362.9 KB

Name:  9jan 1-36 resized.png
Views: 223
Size:  293.5 KB
    Name:  10jan 37-69 resized.png
Views: 290
Size:  260.7 KB

For some reason my third male 1 minute gesture drawing session would not resize correctly. But it's completed.

My next step is to do 100 of each male and female, 5 minute gestures.

I used lovecastle.org for my reference.

Last edited by AdrienneRose; January 12th, 2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added reference source.
    -AdrienneRose-

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdrienneRose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskeleto View Post
    I say that they are pretty good.

However, I do not think that gestures drawings have to be just the outline. You can add mass and all that with scribbles and meaningful lines.
    What I learned in some art classes, is kind of shown in my above post. We kind of scribbled the basics, and then outlined if we had time.

I could be wrong, but, maybe it will help you get all the information down before focusing on the details? Though, sometimes for me, and my 1 minute gestures, it's hard to get all of it down too!

ALSO. It's nice to warm up with FAST (30 sec) gestures, and move up to longer ones.

Last edited by AdrienneRose; January 12th, 2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Adding also:
    -AdrienneRose-

30. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrienneRose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update- comments follow!

Gestures and studies.
    Top to bottom;

Posemaniacs.com, 30sec I think?. Pencil
    Posemaniacs.com, not sure how long, Pen
    Varied poses from Gracefulnudes(NSFW I guess, but a good resource!), and a gesture drawing tool (I think Pixelovely).
    Last scan is from imagination.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some thoughts and critique!

e-nat - Looking good! I like the specialized leg studies. I find the ankle area particularly tough, I'd say you're doing pretty good there. Also, I think CA is safe. Perhaps it's the waves of spammers that sometimes flood the place?

Klaustrophil - Cheers for the link. I like the studies too, especially where you outline the shadow areas, or use the consctuction lines. As if it's a 3d model. You should watch the proportions though! Just quickly look back and forth between the drawing and your reference and you'll notice. Might be a good idea to start off with a few light lines, just to outline rough proportions.

Animare - Seems you got quite a few posemaniacs poses with crazy viewpoints, haha. I don't think it's a problem if you don't quite finish them as long as you do a good job on the overall gesture. I think the ones where you don't treat the head as a ball but actually draw those shapes, are the better ones.

Eskeleto - Good to hear, and good luck! Hamorhage gave you some great advise, I'll try to add a bit. Especially those quick gestures are just to get the overall shape down. The movement and mood of the figure, the tension and action. You've gotten quite a bit of detail in but that's not actually required for quick gestures. You tend to see anatomical details and such on the longer studies. Not that these "rules" are very rigid, many different studies can serve different purposes. I like your gestures, you might want to add a couple from imagination to "test" yourself and put what you've learned to practise.

Olooriel - Looking good! Don't skip feet unless you can't help it, or they may become a problem later on. You don't have to detail them completely, but some indication will suffice. That will at least 'ground' the pose. Doing good on the foreshortening and crazy viewpoints! Good stuff.

Hamorhage - Good advice and nice image. I like especially the back view on that life drawing. It's interesting how up close the rendering looks somewhat messy but the overall picture is really strong with good forms. I can even see the reflected lights in there.

AdrienneRose - Welcome! Sure you can join in. That's a massive batch of gestures. Maybe you studied Loomis before? Your gestures look a bit like his. Either way, judging from these you should certainly do some longer gestures as well. Or a mixture, perhaps with some figures from imagination. Then you can learn different things from different studies and sort of piece that together. Maybe I went on a tangent now. Either way, nice studies, love to see more from you!

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthis View Post
    Here's some thoughts and critique!

AdrienneRose - Welcome! Sure you can join in. That's a massive batch of gestures. Maybe you studied Loomis before? Your gestures look a bit like his. Either way, judging from these you should certainly do some longer gestures as well. Or a mixture, perhaps with some figures from imagination. Then you can learn different things from different studies and sort of piece that together. Maybe I went on a tangent now. Either way, nice studies, love to see more from you!
    THanks man! Yeah, that's what I plan on doing, my next Draw 100 Project goal is 5 minute gestures, to really focus on proportion and a tiny bit of detail. And hopefully getting some stuff drilled into my brain so I can do some from memory. I think after my 5 minute gestures, I may work on individual body parts... but I am not sure. Got a little while to decide.

I've been reading through Loomis' Figure Drawing for all it's Worth while doing all these gestures. I think it's helping! Thanks for the encouragement and crit!

Last edited by AdrienneRose; January 13th, 2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: typo
    -AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't really draw them for this challenge but they are done in the time limit anyways.
    Got faster en slower drawn ones And both from memory and ref.

One thing I Know for sure. I need to practice a lot at my figure drawing if see the ones in here.

Last edited by Staal Sander; January 13th, 2013 at 07:53 AM.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Staal Sander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all,

Love the work on this thread god job all involved. This year is all about me pushing myself to the next level and this seemed like a great place to start.

The gestures were mainly done from around the internet such as lovecastle and pixellovely the last picture was done from character designs.

C&C more then welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all,

Happy newish year to you, Love the work on this thread and really wanted to get a bit more involved in the community this thread seemed like a perfect place to start.

Being the new year it's all about pushing myself artisticly to the next level, but going back to basics first.

These gestures were done from numerous life drawing sites (lovecastle, pixellovely) the last image was done from character designs.com

C&C more than welcome and looking forward to being more involved in the community.

Pete

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funktioncurve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Anthis!

I did some imagination poses.

The horses, I tried first to draw one from imagination but quickly realised which parts I couldn't remember, so then I did a study of it, trying to seperate muscles and remember each one. Then the third is another attempt at drawing it with no reference.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Animare For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright! Animare, your knowledge of horse anatomy scares me! Those are great imaginary drawings!
    Sander: Welcome aboard, thise pages really got me inspired. Love the energy and drive!
    Anthis: Amazing as always, though I have to say your renders are less good than your linework (in my opinion), some areas are outstanding, but the hands for example are not on the same level. That's not to say that they are not impressive, it's probably because you lose interest when it comes to rendering hands since you've already captured the main body and pose. Your imagination drawings blow me away each time though, those are solid renderings that a lot of people can't even get when copying a model

Alright, here's todays efforts. I did my posemaniacs (60 secs) in flash..I never ever draw in flash, but I want to finally force myself to use flash for frame by frame animation, so better get used to the brush. I then did some poses from imagination, I really tried to think of a story for each pose, so it ended up being these little thumbnail style sketches:

Name:  poses1.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  99.3 KB
    Name:  compilation_sunday_sketches.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  459.1 KB

Last edited by Hamorhage; January 13th, 2013 at 05:54 PM.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much for the critique Anthis. I did not intend to skip the feet, 1 minute is just the shortest time I've ever done these in, I start with the head and then don't get to the feet... and I've tried starting with the feet, but that just doesn't work out. Here's today's remaining ones to make the 50 full, but again most feet are missing

Name:  posemaniacs_pt2.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  134.0 KB

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olooriel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys so much for the responses!

I tried to do longer studies with all of these. They were all 5 minutes which helped alot in getting the entire figure down. Also the advice you guys gave me too, trying to draw the action and the form instead of the silhouette.

I have some sketches in my actual sketch book that I have done while at work and while people were ordering coffee. Its much more harder in person than on a picture seeing as people move. Who knew?!?! Some time tomorrow I will take pictures of them and post them up but for my first week here, doing this, I think I got more than 50!

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Eskeleto For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1