Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Goblin? Critique is wanted

Name:  jeipegg .jpg
Views: 366
Size:  110.4 KB

Messed around with something, and decided to work more on it. Not sure where I am going with this one, but I think I will throw some armor on him once I get the pose and the anatomy right.

So do you guys have any words of wisdom before i continue working on this?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The torso seems to face a different direction than the hips and shoulders, which seem roughly in line. The torso looks like it is curving to the right, peeling off of the left facing body. Perhaps the abdominals could be tilted further away from the perspective of the viewer (turning them outwards, to the left). Of course I could be completely off on my perception here, so someone else could confirm or refute my observations.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to enkithrice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is a waste of time to work on all the details with the muscles and everything before you get the pose and anatomy right. You can't define the shape of the body with details. See if you can figure out how the basic shapes of a body is put together. Even if you are drawing a goblin you can still find a good reference of a normal human being and then simply shorten the limbs to your liking. Apart from the technical aspects I think that you should think a little about what kind of goblin you are painting. Right now he is standing around and looking very bland. See if you can give him some character and purpuose.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frida Bergholtz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I recommend getting a copy of "Figure Drawing" by Loomis, and practicing structural drawing with a pencil. You don't, at this time, have enough skill to tackle either human figure, or digital painting.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with you as a matter of fact i downloaded all the Loomis books in pdf files and perspective made easy yesterday, the thing I dont know how to structure the learning proces, what to do first and how the practice on the given information. I will make a post regarding my issue today.

Still want to somewhat finish the Goblin first though

Last edited by v3gar; December 31st, 2012 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  ca goblin .jpg
Views: 167
Size:  121.0 KB

Tried to give him more character and purpose

Last edited by v3gar; December 31st, 2012 at 05:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by v3gar View Post
    I agree with you as a matter of fact i downloaded all the Loomis books in pdf files and perspective made easy yesterday, the thing I dont know how to structure the learning proces, what to do first and how the practice on the given information. I will make a post regarding my issue today.

Don't waste your time on the goblin. It's not going to work unless you know how to build the structure, anatomy and lighting - and pfutzing with the goblin is going to keep you off learning to build structure, anatomy and lighting. Unless you use the goblin for all those things... but it will take longer and you'll find you have redrawn everything a hundred times by the time it's fixed. It is more efficient to make many exploratory sketches and then paint once, than repaint a flawed picture.

As for structuring the learning process - start with simple things and then proceed to build on what you have learned. egin with simple shapes ike boxes, books, tables...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by v3gar View Post

Don't waste your time on the goblin. It's not going to work unless you know how to build the structure, anatomy and lighting - and pfutzing with the goblin is going to keep you off learning to build structure, anatomy and lighting. Unless you use the goblin for all those things... but it will take longer and you'll find you have redrawn everything a hundred times by the time it's fixed. It is more efficient to make many exploratory sketches and then paint once, than repaint a flawed picture.

As for structuring the learning process - start with simple things and then proceed to build on what you have learned. egin with simple shapes ike boxes, books, tables...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.