Sketchbook: Lingering towards the deep.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Lingering towards the deep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lingering towards the deep.

I'm 15 years old and a sophomore in high school. I've been lurking on ConceptArt for years, but only mustered up the courage to create a sketchbook right now. I have no intentions of doing art as a career (I really want to be a physicist) but art has been my passion ever since I was little. I created this sketchbook to create some sense of accountability for myself - I haven't seriously done art in several months and I feel pretty bad about it. So...please please please help me. Advice, critique, anything. I know about Loomis and Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (and own the latter) but I can never seem to make it through an art book without giving up halfway. How does one stay motivated?
    I just love art, and I want to become better, like everybody else on here. Thanks for looking through my sketchbook!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by araethusa; March 10th, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more sketches. The first one was an sketch (from photo ref) from a while ago, the second one was some sketches from last night (plus Strong Female Character).

Name:  Protester.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  28.2 KB
    Name:  1.1.13 studies.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  40.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A WIP of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean in Les Miserables (which I'm going to see in 2 days!). The ref is here.
    ...And now I notice that I royally messed up the perspective of the eyes. Ugh.
    Name:  Valjean WIP.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  49.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finished the portrait. I'm still not satisfied.
    Name:  Valjean002.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  449.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started an beginner's oil painting course on Wednesday. I've never used oil paints before, but they're a lot less intimidating than I thought!
    I'm not completely happy with the painting of the pear, because I don't feel that I pushed the values far enough (especially on the right side of the pear), but the paint dried before I could go in and fix it.
    Name:  Pear painting without tape, 1.17.13.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  306.9 KB
    Name:  Resized sphere painting, 1.16.13.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  323.0 KB

Last edited by araethusa; January 20th, 2013 at 12:44 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to araethusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats on a great start for a sketchbook Araethusa, In terms of advice.....I would just say keep rocking. I think you have a great approach and understanding for a young age. For someone who has no intentions of having an art career, I am definitely impressed. So Keep drawing and always have fun in the process!

If you have a moment, Help me improve with critiques. thank you Sketchbook

Awesome Sketchbooks
    nim Mechanical Man King Kostas

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TNiznet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well! Welcome to CA ( Rookie myself but doesnt matter =P )

It's nice to see you finnally had the courage to put some things from yourself on this site,
    They are looking good, and maybe if u add some more contrast to the Hugh Jackman drawing it will be a little better ( just a suggestion though )

But anyway dont be afraid to post things on here!

See my latest Sketchbook work!
    Feel Free to comment!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really precise drawings for a 15 year old who doesn't persuade an art career !
    "How does one stay motivated? "
    Well by constantly looking at other people's art and drawing a lot. Because when you draw a lot you will start seeing progress in whatever you're doing (because the neurons in your brain getting more strengthened synapses and blah blah... ) you constantly re-motivate yourself, because you see that whatever your doing benefits you.
    You can also motivate yourself by watching movies, listening to music, inspirational speaches by artists, listening to interviews with artists or just successful people. There are countless of ways to get motivated, if you work hard on self-control you can get to a point where you don't really need a reason to get motivated for a certain thing, the thing that will motivate you will be your own thoughts(Not that it's not them that motivate you when you're getting inspiration from other things but you get it (i hope)).
    I have a theory i don't know whether someone else had it before me or whether it's already a fact but i think that when you constantly motivate yourself for certain things that affects the neurons, because it's an activity and neurons are affected by activities that your body performs. But i am not very well educated in the field of biology so do not consider the things that i've told you as facts. Consider them as my theory of how a part of the universe works.
    Maybe you'll find inspiration from my post ... who knows ! (Though i highly doubt that lol)
    Anyways i am really amazed by your work and i will visit your sketchbook very often.
    I recommend you read Gottfried Bammes' book of the human anatomy. And yes it's better to read it because by reading about something you gain more knowledge of it and therefore you can visualise it more properly rather than trying to recreate an image that you have redrawn a lot of times.
    A concept artist(i think it was Feng Zhu) once said that there are 2 ways of learning how to draw
    The one is to draw a certain thing over and over again and you will eventually get good at drawing it
    and the other way is to understand the rules about drawing that way you will be able to draw things properly no mather whether you've drawn them or not.
    A books that i've found helpful are:
    Gottfried Bammes – Anatomy of Human & Animal Body
    Burne Hogarth - Drawing Dynamic Hands
    Burne Hogarth - Drawing the Human head
    Eadweard Muybridge - The Human Figure In Motion
    Christopher Hart has some good books for drawing comic characters aswell as Stan Lee but hence that they're very stylised !
    Oh and i almost forgot Sun Tzu - The Art of War - the most important book .

I propable wrote tons of nonsense and made over 100 grammatical mistakes but that's mostly because i don't know the language very well, i am very tired(it's 02:10 AM here i had 10 hours of art class today and tomorrow i'll have aswell), i am not educated in the fields of science. But i hope you'll consider only the few right thing's that i have wrote in this, i think it's getting really long, message.
    Oh one more advice.. keep away from deviantart for a while, untill your standart of art grows bigger and you start to differentiate wrong drawings from right ones.
    Da Vinci has also some great studies that you can take a look of...
    Okay okay. Byes i hope you find my post helpful .. i really do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @TNiznet: Thank you! I actually did want to go to art school for a while, but realized that it wasn't something I wanted to make a career out of. That doesn't mean that I don't love art, though.

@Deceptive: Thanks for the input. I've always struggled with widening my range of values in pencil drawings. My older drawings are really gray and flat and smudged, and I've been working on getting out of that.

@ivan4oto: Wow, I really appreciate how you spent the time to write out such a long and extensive response. I do look at a lot of inspirational stuff (including some other people's sketchbooks on CA), but I agree that motivation should also stem from your own thoughts. I've never heard of Bammes or Muybridge before, but I have heard of Hogarth. Christopher Hart..isn't he the one who's slightly infamous for his rather poor "how to draw manga" books?
    Haha, unfortunately I've been on deviantART for several years now already. But I only use it to track artists I like, and understand the many flaws of its community and general vibe. Thanks for looking out for me, though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started working out of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain again. Here's one of the exercises, where you copy this sketch of Madame X:
    Name:  Mme X study 1-20-13.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  40.4 KB
    After sleeping on it, I notice all the inaccuracies in my study, especially with the eye and nose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I fixed the Mme X study a bit, but it still doesn't look entirely like the ref.
    Name:  FIXED Mme X study 1-21-13.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  25.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely work! You're so very controlled and precise. I'm excited to see more, especially if you have any sketches. One problem I have been having is that I want everything I draw to be perfect and precise, but I've been learning that sketches are equally important to maintain that certain spark that only you can bring to your own work. Otherwise, it just gets to look too technical and mechanical, and just stiff.

I'm loving the Madame X. I have a special bond with that painting because people say I look like her

~ Sketchbook | Digital Portfolio| Facebook | DeviantArt Gallery | Email ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Eikoae: Thanks! I haven't been sketching as much as I'd like because of how busy it's been lately, but I have a nagging feeling of "you should sketch more/do more gestures/do more quick studies/drawings from life/etc". I started out doing everything from imagination (and yes, manga-stylized), and I guess I've been working on observation and finished stuff a bit more. It's probably time to get back to doodling and drawing the backs of people's heads in class, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketches from last night. Doodles, knees, notes on a video about Loomis' method of head construction, Posemaniacs studies (which can be extremely misleading about human anatomy...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't updated in a while (life's gotten in the way), but have a few paintings and sketchy silliness to show for it!
    Name:  Sketches 1-30-13 pt 1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  37.4 KBName:  Sketches 1-30-13 pt 2.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  37.3 KBName:  Sketches 1-31-13.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  60.9 KBName:  Sketches 2-5-13.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  63.4 KBName:  Sketches 2-7-13.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  61.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I'm 15 too! You're a lot better than me though. So far, I don't really know much so I can't really say much. But from everyone that's posting on my sketchbook, everyone is telling me to draw from life. A LOT. About the Hugh Jackman image, you need to darken the shadows on the tip of the nose. You darkened the side of his face quite dark but the same shadow is casted on the nose where it's not dark enough. The right side of his face has a slight square-ish curve indicating his jaw, yours is a bit too round. The chin looks like it needs to be a bit more square too.
    I could kind of tell that you're a bit intimidated by going in real dark for the shadows because I am too, but after a while I told myself that if I'm going to practice and practice and practive, im gonna have a kajillion portraits and screwing up one once in a while shouldnt really matter. It's all for a good cause anyways. So good luck! I'm off to practice now. (:
    edit: came back to read this and laughed. I still don't go dark in the shadows XP

Oh! I forgot to say I really liked the drawings # 2-5 and the other portrait at the end of your very first post. I think they're well done, especially the one where you had a little snippet of a note that said you drew it from imagination. I love her hair and expression, it's got a spark to it.

Last edited by luchianguyen; February 7th, 2013 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @luchianguyen: Thanks, but don't get too involved in comparisons! Art is art, whether it's made by someone who's fifteen or by someone who's fifty. Age is irrelevant, really.
    I do make efforts to draw from life, to the extent that my from-imagination muscle is not as developed as it could be. I think I need to work on understanding anatomy and construction so that I can draw from both life and from imagination.
    Your critique of the Hugh Jackman drawing is spot-on. I could have been better about capturing the nuances that characterize his likeness.
    Anyways, thank you, and good luck on your own endeavors!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketches from the past few days. I know, I should doodle more. And a portrait of a friend for her birthday!
    Name:  Sketches 2-17-13.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  50.2 KBName:  Sketches 2-15-13.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  53.4 KBName:  Sketches 2-16-13.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  36.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the hiatus! Life's been really. Busy.
    A pathetically small number of sketches from the past weeks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Recent paintings.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.