Five days in NY. What to do?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Five days in NY. What to do?

Hey guys. I'm a long time lurker from Stockholm.

On my 30th birthday a few weeks ago i got this trip to NY. I figured this forum must be a good place to ask the question in the topic.

MoMA and Guggenheim is mandatory. My GF wants to see the statue of liberty but i'm kind of allergic to the tourist stuff.

What would you do? Where to eat? Where to drink?

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, Metropolitan Museum is a must. If you can book a ticket, see a show in the theatre district. Walk in Central Park, see the little zoo, the poet alley, find Balto. Browse the Strand used book store. Drop by the Native American culture museum. Viisitt the Dahesh gallery for some French Academy stuff - from laughably pompous to quietly masterful. Dig into a Chinese-catering supermarket in Chinatown. Visit Brooklyn Zoo. Just walk across South Manhattan, from Soho to Tribeca to Little Italy.

There are so many museums in Manhattan alone that they sell a special city map dedicated to those.

As for food and drink... New York has all the authentic cuisines of the world. Make your pick. I'm partial to Yoro no Take on Fulton Street, for instance - I hope they are still in business.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, Metropolitan Museum is a must. If you can book a ticket, see a show in the theatre district. Walk in Central Park, see the little zoo, the poet alley, find Balto. Browse the Strand used book store. Drop by the Native American culture museum. Viisitt the Dahesh gallery for some French Academy stuff - from laughably pompous to quietly masterful. Dig into a Chinese-catering supermarket in Chinatown. Visit Brooklyn Zoo. Just walk across South Manhattan, from Soho to Tribeca to Little Italy.

There are so many museums in Manhattan alone that they sell a special city map dedicated to those.

As for food and drink... New York has all the authentic cuisines of the world. Make your pick. I'm partial to Yoro no Take on Fulton Street, for instance - I hope they are still in business.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When are you going? Look for good gallery shows in advance to save the time of going to galleries and blowing chunks.

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can NOT recommend the MET enough. I got to spend one afternoon in NYC, once in my life, spent half of it in the MET, and wish I had spent more. It is incredible.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Another vote for the Metropolitan Museum, here! And be warned, the place is huge, overwhelming, and exhausting - you'll want to set aside at least a day to do the Met, maybe make two trips.

Other good museums: the Frick is a must if you want some of the best old master paintings in the U.S. in a delightful setting. Also the Morgan Library might be worth a stop, depending what's on exhibit (they have many good exhibits,) ditto the Neue Galerie, again depending on what's showing. And it might be fun to stop at the Society of Illustrators to see what they're showing. Also the Museum of Natural History is pretty awesome... You can skip the overpriced movies and extras and just wander around the main galleries, that's where all the really cool stuff is anyway. (DINOSAURS!)

The Dahesh no longer has a physical museum, unfortunately.

If you go to the Strand and wander upstairs into the art book section, you might need to get your purchases shipped home because you'll have too much to fit in your luggage. Trust me on this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont forget the Frick a great ans small museum (get the audio guide), go down to NY central Art supplies or Dick Blick, get drunk in LES (my old hood!), Walk over the Williamsburg/Brooklyn Bridge, china town if its raining to get that Blade Runner feel, galleries on a thursday in Chelsea, usually go round drinking free wine and ripping the "artwork" to pieces, check out Arcadia and gallery Henoch for good art. Society of illustrators figure drawing sessions (check website)

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always been partial to Utrecht for art supplies, myself... And they have a big new store now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, lots of good stuff here. Thanks!

I saw that Metropolitan has an exhibition right now on photomanipulation before photoshop, sounds interesting.
    I just finished a course at Stockholm University in art history and i'm kind of sick of old art at the moment, i want to see contemporary stuff. Any galleries you recommend?

Also, where do we go to shop second hand stuff? Clothes mainly.

We've been checking out brooklyn a lot, seems like our kind of place. Really excited to go there!
    The plane is leaving on this next monday!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your best bet might be to spend a day prowling around Williamsburg, there's a ton of contemporary galleries AND used/vintage clothing places all over Williamsburg. Chelsea is pretty good for both as well, plus you can take a stroll on the High Line which is pretty cool all by itself. (I'd recommend some of the flea markets for clothing, but they only happen during the Summer.)

For more modern art museums, check and see if the Whitney Museum is showing anything you'd be interested in, some of their past exhibits have been really good. Also the Brooklyn Museum, they've been doing a lot of big contemporary art shows lately.

Oh, and Animazing gallery in SOHO is always fun if you're in that area. (There aren't many galleries left in SOHO, though... It's all restaurants and posh clothing now.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Animazing has the best artist in the world showing there. It's now called AFA NYC. Around the corner from AFA is a really amazing gallery called Arcadia. Great group of artists there.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.