Passage
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Passage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Passage

Working on that painting at the moment. Wanted to know what you guys think of it?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks amazing if a bit empty. I'm guessing you'll fill out the front with more compositional elements, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm. To be honest, it is difficult to see whether it is a painting or a photo-manipulation. Awesome rendering if you really painted it, but especially the left rock looks like it's just been thrown in there from an unrelated photo. It look like it's got a different light source than the rest of the photo, considering how shaded the other cliff is, and the absence of shading on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. Yeah I'm going to add more foreground elements as soon I know what camera move I want to create...if any.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure what you mean with painted or photo-manipulated but photos where important elements. The elements have been color corrected to fit together. Often with flat contrast and the shading is done on separate layers for more control. The mountain on the left has also been used in other parts of the picture. Thanks for pointing out the lack of lighting here. I don't like the left mountain yet and probably ignored it too much. Let's see what happens if I add some shading here as we'll.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought so, but you stated that it was a painting, so I was a bit unsure about what you meant by it. I honestly think you should paint over the entire thing if you really want it to be a painting - this is a photo-manipulation, and not a painting at all. That is clear just by looking at it. Very little of it seem to really be original, as in painted by you, and color-correcting something is not enough to change that fact.

It isn't a bad photo-manip at all, but it is also not a painting. You will have to work on it much, much longer if that is what you wish to achieve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh bloody hell with these double posts... *grumbles*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah got ya. I should've mentioned that this is a digital matte painting not a digital painting. That's why I mentioned the camera move earlier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's obviously a matte painting, so I don't see a point in this discussion.
    Technically it's pretty well done, everything has the same light color and direction. Other than that, it seems pretty boring. Everything is seperated in horizonal lines and distance. 1/3 grass, 1/3 of rock and castle, 1/3 of mount and sky. I would add some elements to the foreground, at least give those little stones on the right of the path more weight. There is nothing interesting on the left side of the picture, and the main problem for me is, that the path ultimately leads us to the left instead of leading to the castle. Consider adding something that guides the view back to the center of interest. This can be birds or a guy on the lower left looking up to the castle, or whatever comes to your mind. And right now, it gives the impression of an old, abandoned place. I guess this was on purpose since a lot speaks for it (no gate, no flags, no people, a wide, lonely space). If not, you might want to add some clues on existing civilisation. In both cases, I still think that at least some birds could help to add more dynamic.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The problem with photo mashing when you can't paint is it creates all kinds of obvious problems like perspective and scale problems. The fore ground is too big in relation to the middle ground. The buildings and cliffs all have scale and perspective problems. If your not going to paint them at least put them in perspective. Also cloning the same pieces and having them right next to each other doesn't help either. Not really a matte painting just photo collage.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The basic concept and landscape is great! Totally enchanting. Although I find that the mountains in the foreground on the left seem far too large, close, and in focus for where they actually should be in the painting, and it's a little confusing to look at.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "all kinds of obvious problems like perspective and scale problems. The foreground is too big in relation to the middle ground."

this. looks good tho

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "all kinds of obvious problems like perspective and scale problems. The foreground is too big in relation to the middle ground."

this. looks good tho

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
    Working on that painting at the moment. Wanted to know what you guys think of it?

i find the rendering beautiful but the right side feels awesome(like the feeling when u get the light touches ur face in the light
    but the left needs kinda work left kinda feels like somethings lacking to it like something should be their
    like a color of some sort violet? try violet gives it more a mystery feel other than feeling plain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all your helpful feedback and sorry for my late reply. I just moved country but will continue my work on that picture soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I posted the finished picture in the finished section. Thanks again for your feedback.

Passage camera projection

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.