Question about getting better.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Question about getting better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question about getting better.

Okay so Im beginning to draw again, So I've been reading the posts and lurking around on how to improve faster and better. And I have found that a lot of you guys say to draw from life. So I really want to get good, I get that I would have to draw ALOT from life. So my question is do I ever need to draw from my imagination to get better? Or can I just keep drawing from life and ignore the whole imagination part until Im satisfied with my drawing skills. Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All work and no fun makes Jack a very dull boy.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Draw whatever you want, actually. Drawing from life is good because life does not lie like photos, nor does it err like your memory or fall into hollow symbolism like your imagination. But you can and should use photos and memory and imagination, too.

The important part is being aware of what you are doing. Whatever you draw can be done either by mindless rote or by conscious decision. The former leads you nowhere; you need to focus on the latter to have any real progress.

In other words, never let your drawing be automatic. Always THINK what you are doing and why.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...f-creating-art

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    3 draw from life...

dont just draw from your head...you need to put stuff in your head. draw the figure...draw people on the train or at the mall or airport....get a model or do self portraits.

you need a balance of short term capturing gesture ability and long term undertsanding of light and forms and anatomy.

do long poses....three to twelve hours...over days if you can. if you cant get a model you can get a plaster cast (see mindcandymans thread for a nice cast drawing example). You can also do self portraits. You need time to just draw...to see...and to learn to quickly understand what you see.

do short term stuff....two minute..three minute...one minute....you need to be able to quick sketch....note taking of your environment...what you put out is only as good as what you put in.

truth is found in nature. look...remember...understand.

spend just as much time working from imagination. if you are out of balance it will be obvious in your works. Those who do work from life a lot will see right through your mistakes unless you understand what you are making. learn to understand what you see...and how to put that down on the paper.

work just on drawing at first...save painting for when you have mastered value.

this is just some brainstorming...we will clean this up nice later.

J

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! Thank you all so much ! Helped a lot, I will definitely take into consideration what you all said ;]

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.