Art: A Year later...(ALL CRIT APPRECIATED).
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Year later...(ALL CRIT APPRECIATED).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry A Year later...(ALL CRIT APPRECIATED).

Hey I am 15. Looking at the sketchbook threads compared to Entertainment&Concept Art thread, this section seems to be more appropriate for crits and improvements.

Last edited by HaoningW; January 4th, 2014 at 08:12 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhm you are very good for your age, don't stop working!

Anyway take a look at my tutorial in my sign down here, it will show you how to prepare your lines for painting which is something that you seems to need A LOT and in a very short time i will publish a tutorial on how to approach painting from where the first tutorial ends (i've already made the video, i'm just writing the article right now so it's a question of hours, maybe one day). If you have questions on how to improve just ask... i'd rather prefer if you ask the questions instead of telling you what to do because in this way you will think about where you need to improve the most (and that's a good habit to have for being an artist).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks...My life kind revolved around art due the the boredom and not having the access to technology until I was like...12. lol.
    I will try and improve upon my line work and if you have time can you tell me how to paint my values correctly in this picture?Name:  Concept Spaceship practice 2.jpg
Views: 4256
Size:  148.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rather than learn about how to do it for this picture why don't you try to understand how values works? Anyway the guide about colors is coming tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You said your life revolves around art. So does mine and your some good advice here. As for the ship the colors look flat and the guy in the armor...... I don't know what it is but I think he wouldn't move very well in it.

I'm the guy that does his job! You must be the other guy!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...73#post2633373 <- longest link to a sketchbook ever.
    http://thesketchersden.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to the painful world of concept art.

I'll leave the others to give you advice about your art, but you should expect the usual stuff 'practice your fundamentals, do lineart before painting' etc

For me, its more important you realize as early as possible that concept art is not about 'art'. It's not about falling in love with your painting and pitching it to people as your 'emotions on canvas' and stuff like that. That's another ballgame. Concept art is about creating something that people will buy, pay money to see, and so on and so forth. I recommend you look up Feng Zhu's tutorials on youtube, he explains it much better than I do.

Cheers.

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to the painful world of concept art.

I'll leave the others to give you advice about your art, but you should expect the usual stuff 'practice your fundamentals, do lineart before painting' etc

For me, its more important you realize as early as possible that concept art is not about 'art'. It's not about falling in love with your painting and pitching it to people as your 'emotions on canvas' and stuff like that. That's another ballgame. Concept art is about creating something that people will buy, pay money to see, and so on and so forth. I recommend you look up Feng Zhu's tutorials on youtube, he explains it much better than I do.

Cheers.

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh Feng? I have like 25-30 of those videos downloaded on my pc, I only started that ship painting after episode 41. The problem is I can't find enough resources for me to practice on fundamentals or I cant get access to them. I will try and refer back to feng's videos more and learn the fundamentals but it after a couple of episodes he does say his not gonna teach about it because it's something he want's to reserve for his stud and it would take too long. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Jetfighter.jpg
Views: 4094
Size:  77.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vak is totally right about concept art. The problem about fundamentals is that you have to stop doing this stuff and practice them all the time, that's why the vast majority can't learn them properly... it's BORING if you don't understand them entirely at least. The other problem is that we can't follow you every day until you learn them, so it's up to you.

But i can tell you that everything you draw is subject to the same rules of perspective and proportions and can be simplified in simple 3D shapes (like cubes, cylinders, cones, pyramids ecc). Once you know everything about perspective and those simple shapes then drawing a 3d object like those airplanes in any camera angle is not a big deal.

For the rest, the tutorials i've made should be enough to learn how to deal with photoshop, your lines and your colors!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the tutorials are great but I think I maybe 5 steps ahead of the new videos and already understood the basics of photoshop.
    can you made more videos focusing on fundamentals?(not saying the previous videos aren't).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the tutorials are great but I think I maybe 5 steps ahead of the new videos and already understood the basics of photoshop.
    can you made more videos focusing on fundamentals?(not saying the previous videos aren't).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know... i don't think you are so ahead like you think because your lines are a mess and your colors are all muddy and smudged and there's no lights and shadows management and those are exactly the things i'm talking about in those videos so...

Anyway maybe i can do something about fundamentals in the future but the holidays are gone and in the next months i'll be overloaded with work so i don't know when i would have the time : \ in the mean time try to improve the stuff i told you, those are REALLY important, presentation often is more important than design (unfortunately) because the first impact on visual is a major selling factor in this kind of job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    trust me, fundamentals are as boring as important.... really they are painfully boring but after 4 months of forcing myself to learn them i myself can see a milebig improvement even if i thought back then that they would not help me. you have some cool stuff here, i'd call them good, if you want them to be great then do the fundamentals, not for days, months if not years is the right timespan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blueknightfox - we'll all influenced by art right?
    Vak - I watch alot of feng videos and I understand how important the fundamentals are.
    hitsu-san - I was going to reply back but concept art.org was blocked due to malware...I know I am actually behind :/ but I am indeed starting to work on all my mistakes.
    Nowio - yeah I know it's important and I started study perspectives .

everyone - thank you for the support.

I've worked hard and the shape is actually starting to read Name:  jet_stream_mech.jpg
Views: 3956
Size:  53.0 KBName:  landscape_practice_redrawn.jpg
Views: 3973
Size:  262.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's the worksheet I didName:  perspective_sheet2.jpg
Views: 3966
Size:  175.2 KBName:  pespective_sheet1.jpg
Views: 3972
Size:  341.0 KBName:  anatomy_practice.jpg
Views: 3950
Size:  213.0 KBName:  material_lighting_practice.jpg
Views: 3986
Size:  171.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    best piece of art I've done yetName:  space_shuttle.jpg
Views: 3993
Size:  301.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More!

Metal is much more reflective anyway, can i suggest you to work on a 50%B grey background?

Anyway you have messy lines because you are not confident with your freehand technique or because you don't know the right shape of the thing you are drawing. Same thing happens with painting. The best way to get rid of this stuff is to make practice with lines and to make practice with painting on shapes (Nowio can tell you that XD). In the mean time if you make a mess with lines you can use the technique that i explain in my tut01 to make your drawing more presentable! And not only that, if you actually start to polish your drawings you will learn the right shape of them so every next time you are going to draw them you will be more confident about those shapes and your lines will be better. Try to believe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually I do have a pretty polished linework, but when I paint over them it tend to get a little messy :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude that's not a pretty polished linework, you are doing lines over and over and it looks like a mess. I'm starting to think that you are denying that you need a lot of training, and i know it's scary to admit such a thing but as soon as you drop that attitude you'll start improving a lot trust me.

Please not that i'm not telling you that you're good or bad and i'm not talking about what you are drawing at all, i just want you to know how to get better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for the attitude :C
    I tried some improvement on lines.Name:  bot 1.jpg
Views: 3816
Size:  118.5 KBName:  bot 2.jpg
Views: 3804
Size:  120.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    perspective 3Name:  perspective_sheet3.jpg
Views: 3722
Size:  162.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man for you age you really good, i mainly draw, characters, kind of like artwork you'de see on bands like suicide silence and A day to remember merchandise. But on topic ive read all the reposts on this forum and you are learning and getting better, what i usually do is, get real materials, so home wares, dirt, sand, rocks, metal etc. I only 19 and i wish i was as good as you at digital drawing. Keep it up man and i know it might be hard to take advice or criticism sometimes but in the end its worth it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn the line improvement drawing was Good and then you've come back to the old habits for the perspective drawing? Keep polishing those lines! No matter what you're drawing, even with pen on paper, try to have clear lines and think about what line you are going to do before doing it. The "drop 200 lines so eventually one of them could be the right one" is extremely amateurish and keeps screaming out loud that you don't care about what you are doing, even if you do. Keep polishing man, in a month or so of practice doing it you won't need to think about it anymore i promise, it will become natural and automatic and in the ed you won't need to polish lines anymore cause you will be able to draw the right line from the beginning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! I love your ships & cars. I'd like to see you design commercial vehicles!

- / blog / art / photos / -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dpttart: thanks the way I learn is: 1) do some random paintings 2) get a professional painting similar to your artwork 3) find out whats missing(fundamentals) 4) search up video tutorials or behind the scene video on a same type of painting e.g landscapes, characters,etc feng zhu's youtube video would be a good place to start. 5) analyse all the parts that you've made mistakes on and follow the video tutorial. Of course fundamentals are important too.
    Hitsu_san: refining takes a while but I'll definitely try improving but the reason I went to perspective was because I felt like there's a need for like a final assignment for myself after figuring out the perspectives.
    Cherri: thankyou, will do that when I have some spare time.

guys I am actually working on a project with a studio (volunteering work) and I'll try and ask if I can post some of the concepts here. (the ISO and I have to agree on it) so at the mean time I think I can answer feedback but probably wont be updating as much :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What you are doing is the best thing you can do - practice, everyday.

If you would like to make a career out of it there are five fundamentals you can focus on that will give you a real head start:

Anatomy
    Perspective
    Value (light)
    Colour
    Composition

Each of these can be mastered through study work. Life drawings and still lifes, exercises etc. If you enjoy drawing vehicles, and if it's something you might want to focus on in your career I recommend you study real vehicles as well, painting and drawing from photographs. Not only will it help you with some of the fundamentals (perspective, Value, Colour) but it will also ingrain those realistic details into your head. You will know what a bulkhead, landing gear, hand railings, cockpits, equipment SHOULD look like innately when you go to make up your own designs for real life products.

Once you are more comfortable with those fundamentals you can move on to more advanced things like brush economy (telling as much as you can with as little brush strokes as possible), polishing, hot-spotting and other neat techniques. With the exercises you are doing, you are setting yourself up to be way ahead of the pack in the future. It's important to walk before you try to run. Many artists in your position try to paint like those who are already established, or try to emulate the certain styles without actually understanding the fundamentals that go into them, finding out later on that it was those things that made those images they loved look so good, and not the techniques the artist was using to give it their own style.

So keep at it. If you do these things every single day, even if it's just for 15 minutes you WILL see a difference very quickly.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hazzard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hazzard: thanks, working on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, the start to anatomyName:  anatomy_sheet1.jpg
Views: 3427
Size:  301.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make certain that you are always using photographs or models to study from when you do anatomy studies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 269