The Entombment (moved from FF)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Entombment (moved from FF)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Entombment (moved from FF)

Name:  cedricchambers-theentombment-2012-oiloilpastelacryliconcanvas-36x48.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  469.5 KB

An appropriated mixed media large scale figurative oil painting. I used acrylic, oil pastel, and oil paint. Tell me what you think.

Here's my website.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wroeththo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mind explaining the intent of the piece? Intriguing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Axec View Post
    Mind explaining the intent of the piece? Intriguing...
    I was attempting to make a surrealist piece that was somewhat sacreligious. Originally I used Darwin, Christ, and the world trade centers. Darwin was too obvious. I do not like star wars, I am only attempting to communicate with my peers through symbols they understand. Metaphorically speaking, Darth Vader is the culmination of cold-war communist iconography, and messianic saviour. Christ is a messianic saviour, 9/11 is a result of religion. Its more of an approach to understanding that good and evil are one and the same; no act of evil is commited without the act rationality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Darth Vader as a symbol of cold-war communist iconography is one of the biggest stretches I have ever seen in an artwork, but that's just me.

It certainly is thought provoking though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally you used Darwin and Christ? And then you decided that Darth Vader somehow conveyed your intended message better? I just do not see that Vader is the "culmination of cold-war communist iconography" and how you tie all of this together. Jesus' hands look like gloves and Vader's hands look tiny.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All that said, you really ought to work on your painting technique. Dosome exercises painting still lifes, paying especial attention to representing lighting and texture accurately.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Somewhere in heaven, Michelangelo is shaking his head and crying, "mama mia, that deltoid!"

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll add that Jesus seems to be awake - at least his head and feet are held at angles that suggest muscle control. Consider these images:
    http://joe-morkos.deviantart.com/favourites/47985463

Your shadows (e.g. under the body on Vader's robe) seem to be random or even missing.

Also, and this may be just where you are in the process, but your rendering of different areas is really inconsistent. So we see real detail on vader's mask, blurry folds on his robe, and razor sharp edges on the pile of bones. The level of detail in the distant building is sharper than the wall on the left and the ground at their feet.

Hope that is helpful

D'Arcy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll add that Jesus seems to be awake - at least his head and feet are held at angles that suggest muscle control. Consider these images:
    http://joe-morkos.deviantart.com/favourites/47985463

Your shadows (e.g. under the body on Vader's robe) seem to be random or even missing.

Also, and this may be just where you are in the process, but your rendering of different areas is really inconsistent. So we see real detail on vader's mask, blurry folds on his robe, and razor sharp edges on the pile of bones. The level of detail in the distant building is sharper than the wall on the left and the ground at their feet.

Hope that is helpful

D'Arcy

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    We will never forget Darth Vaders heroic efforts rescuing victims of the 911 attacks

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I did not even notice the inconsistency of my rendering, though it is obvious. Though Darth Vader interpretations may vary, I do not agree that it is a stretch to say he is a culmination of cold-war iconography. You really don't see an absolutist totalitarian military leader as an idealized western perspective of cold-war/communist icons. I don't even like starwars. Darwin's involvement was momentary, underpainting stage, it does not convey the same message. Darth Vader conveys a better message, a less obvious one. I'm not trying to intentionally convey anything in particular, my opinion is that artwork is subjective, especially when I am intending to make a "surrealist piece". The biggest criticism I get from this piece would be that no one understands it; it's intended to make you think.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have some interesting ideas for sure. Unfortunately your understanding and handling of painting fundamentals detracts a great deal from your works. You seem to be caught between an unintentional, very primitive/naive handling and representational realism. Viewers tend to be subconsciously aware of this dichotomy and it makes for a somewhat uncomfortable feeling.

I would recommend you push things one way or another - toward a more expressive and less realistic statement or toward a more realisitic handling of the subject. Either way you should be more grounded in basic fundamentals so you can consciously break the rules and push boundaries, or handle your work with more realism.

Last edited by JeffX99; January 4th, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.