Sketchbook: Saul Riveras Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Saul Riveras Sketchbook

Ok so it's been awhile since I even drew in my sketchbook so I came here to start and make it a dedicated project. I made the big mistake of going straight to the tablet and not formally taking the time to learn the fundamentals of drawing, or as andrew loomis calls it "the 5 p's". I have all of loomis's books because I see people always suggests it, as he explains it very well. I have been drawing all my life (just for fun) and my drawings were good as a child amongst my peers, but as I aged, I knew I was terrible at art. I am 18 years old, and about 9 monthes ago I decided I wanted to be a illustrator and graphic designer.

My work lacks all of the "5 p's". I really just cant grasp the concept of perspective. I started to try loomis's "Figure drawing and all it's worth" and practice and took notes. I know this isn't going to come easy, but I believe me, I feel like this is all I have in life and not interested in anything else. Willing to work hard 24/7, 7 days a week. Im not attending school. I'm sorry if I am giving my life story, just want to give a background on why im coming here. For now, I'm putting my tablet back in the closet and going to pencil and paper. I hope by started this sketchbook, I can show any improvements and get some serious constructive criticsm.

Any tips or references on how I should start or studies I should engage in?

Thanks for your time.

EDIT* Sorry about the image sizes..

Last edited by saulstixx; December 28th, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, go for Loomis. You got the right book to start. Along with this study try finding a life model class. Loomis is excellent but it is not enough, you should draw from life as well. If you can't afford a model, go for still lifes (dishes, apples, all kinds of fruits and objects). Draw everything you can. I think you are on the right track. Your first two pages are good, keep practicing and post more. I wish you the best.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cojac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick attempt of perspective. I basically decided to drop all the knowledge I had of drawing and decided to start learning the basics. I feel this will help me become versatile instead of being forced to have my work heavy stylized. I've read that anything can be formed inside the basic shapes or something like that. Such as boxes, so this is an attempt..

Is this good or bad that I am doing this? I'm going to start drawing things from still life this way. Is this a good study? I know I am a newbie, everyone elses sketchbooks looks like work of art lol.. But I really want to learn, I'm not good, but I'm passionate. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cojac View Post
    Hi, go for Loomis. You got the right book to start. Along with this study try finding a life model class. Loomis is excellent but it is not enough, you should draw from life as well. If you can't afford a model, go for still lifes (dishes, apples, all kinds of fruits and objects). Draw everything you can. I think you are on the right track. Your first two pages are good, keep practicing and post more. I wish you the best.
    Thank you! Yes, I'm going to draw from still all the time. I heard thats one of the best ways. Thank you for taking your time out to post your advice, I will keep working!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Saul.
    I think these are excellent studies. I'm with you - trying to 'go back to my basics' in an attempt to just get the old pencil moving again. Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saul,

I think that your studies are great, this is the same stuff I am working on myself. Figure drawing classes are good, I have to agree, but honestly my opinion is to ensure you have a solid understanding of fundamentals first in order to get more out of the figure drawing classes. I took 2 of them before learning and really understanding things such as perspective and value and I honestly feel like I wasted $200. I am now going back to learn those things properly and then I feel I will get more out of the classes. Your way may be different than mine of course. I will keep an eye on this for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saul,

I think that your studies are great, this is the same stuff I am working on myself. Figure drawing classes are good, I have to agree, but honestly my opinion is to ensure you have a solid understanding of fundamentals first in order to get more out of the figure drawing classes. I took 2 of them before learning and really understanding things such as perspective and value and I honestly feel like I wasted $200. I am now going back to learn those things properly and then I feel I will get more out of the classes. Your way may be different than mine of course. I will keep an eye on this for sure.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Palespyder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by angieb. View Post
    Hi, Saul.
    I think these are excellent studies. I'm with you - trying to 'go back to my basics' in an attempt to just get the old pencil moving again. Looking forward to seeing what you do!
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still at it.. did some quick sketches of my guns laying on the floor, trying to get the perspective right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More perspective study.. I feel as if I can put any object in perspective by using these boxes. Any advice???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have the object handy, and in real life try to measure like this: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...asuring-How-To

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anatomy or underlying skeleton study.. All these are from the mind. Starting studies like this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work so far You`are not the only one that has issues with the concept of perspective. It`s really hard. I suppose we just have to try harder

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.