Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    I've just been looking through your sketchbook and you can see improvement which is great one thing I have noticed is that in quite a lot of your drawings you use 'scratchy' lines, or draw several lines where only one is really needed. I realise these are mostly in your quicker drawings, but I think it'd really help you if you tried to use fewer lines, or just quickly consider where you'll put the line down before you do it, and reist drawing more into it, I think it's line economy or something. Saying that, I really love your lines in those 5 minute poses poses from your last update, you should try applying that to your quicker sketches. Keep up the hard work
    Yes, I know there are sketchy lines, sometimes it takes a while to get back "into" drawing if one has taken a very long long long unintentional hiatus. lol. However, I ask, what is your definition of a "gesture drawing"?
    In my experience, they are many things. To me, lines (too many or too few) do not necessarily matter because they are not "finished" pieces, merely "warm ups" or studies, also because from what I can gather from my recent readings upon gestures is that you're trying to capture the motion and "essence" of the figure, not necessarily the figure itself.
    However, from seeing other people's gestures on this site, there are many definitions and types. But maybe they are not traditional gestures? I see a lot of contour lines when people say they're doing "gestures". I do this too, but on my longer studies (5mins+).

I am still trying to get down "gesture" drawing, and trying to draw the motion and activity of the figure. It's seemingly difficult for me. Haha! Also, trying to figure out the proper placement and posture for drawing on a digital tablet for optimum arm movement. Any suggestions on this?

Thank you so much for stopping by! And leaving some ideas! I will implementing your idea and see if it works out for me!
    -AdrienneRose-

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Great discipline and studies showing through! Keep it up, I can see progress
    Feedback wise, the thing that jumps out at me that is falling way behind is the line quality on your analog sketches. Make it a challenge to draw with as few lines as humanly possible, and never accept scribbly jaggedy lines!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JordyLakiere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyLakiere View Post
    Great discipline and studies showing through! Keep it up, I can see progress
    Feedback wise, the thing that jumps out at me that is falling way behind is the line quality on your analog sketches. Make it a challenge to draw with as few lines as humanly possible, and never accept scribbly jaggedy lines!
    Thanks for stopping by JordyLakiere! Sketchiness is something I am working out... lol. I'm trying to work out the kinks, anyway. haha. I wont be working in "analog" often, because I want to really develop my digi abilities, but whenever I pull out my physical sketchbook/pencil/pen, I will definitely keep that in mind!! (along with my digital works).

Thanks!
    -AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Worked a lot over the last couple of days.

Andrew Loomis Mannkin practice. It was going really well... Until I had to come up with my "own" poses. I suck at poses so much. Practice practice practice, I suppose!

Name:  18janPG40 Mannkin details 900.png
Views: 1263
Size:  367.3 KB
    Name:  19JAN mannkin pg 41 900.png
Views: 1259
Size:  500.9 KB

This morning's gestures and 5 minute drawings.
    Used QuickPoses.com for the 30 second gestures and LoveCastle.org for the 5 min poses.

Name:  19Jan 30 sec 900.png
Views: 1257
Size:  170.3 KB
    Name:  19JAN 5 min 900.png
Views: 1242
Size:  209.5 KB

Last shoulder study for Spartan Camp. Reference.

Name:  19Jan Shoulder 900.png
Views: 1246
Size:  473.2 KB

--------------------

Goals:
    Read art books
    Project Draw 100

Progress:
    Project Draw 100
    1 minute female gestures - [done] completed: 104/100
    1 minute male gestures - [done] completed: 104/100
    5 minute female - [in progress] completed: 42/100
    5 minute male - completed: 0/100
    10 minute female - completed: 0/100
    10 minute male - completed: 0/100

Reading
    Figure Drawing for all it's Worth - Andrew Loomis -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.41
    Drawing on the Artist Within - Betty Edwards -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.14
    The Natural Way to Draw - Nicolaides -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.9
    Drawing People - Colin Caket
    Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain - Betty Edwards
    Drawing for Dummies - Brenda Hoddinott [opened] -- Flipped through every single page, and it didn't call to me at all. I will be returning this book now.
    Last edited by AdrienneRose; January 20th, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
    -AdrienneRose-

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrienneRose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i love to see you are still working in your stuffs, i read what you said about being a visual person and i thought of bringin a few links to explain or atleast try haha to explain to you what i think you could work on:

okay so first, when i talk about construction and landmarks this all comes in any anatomy book, i recommend michael hamptons because thats where i learned it and also glenn vilppu books, actually hampton has a page where eh posts freebies from his book Draw that! AAAAAAALL of it if you can: www.figuredrawing.info

also theres Kevin chen demos of his figure drawing class this are soooo helpful bacuse the way he draws them lets you kind of see how he constructed the pose and the figure: http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/

theres also the fact that you dont have a method for sketching yet, try looking at the unplugged playlist from ctrl paint: http://www.ctrlpaint.com/tag/unplugged/
    matt kohr is a great speaker and a great editor so everything its really simple and easy to understand!

and last but not least this tutoral written by an excluse sketchbook memeber i cant remember his name right now haha, but this is the most insightful tuttorial on digital or tradtiional drawing, just read it all, but of course start with things that you can understand (this are in the lower tier of the tutorial since he talks alot about light, hues, values, and painting stuff that if you dont know the meaning you wont get what he is talking about
    anyways here it is: http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

and to practice theres always either of this sites:

http://lovecastle.org/draw/ <in this one you have several boxes you can do only figures or only faces, theres even photos of sports, but the quality is so so sometimes.

http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/ <<this one only has figures or animals, but all of their photos are high quality (theres even a "class" option where the timer exponentially grows so you can do longer drawings as you progress in the class)

hope this all helps you in the short and long run theres alot more information out there if you really want to improve i encourage you to look for more info yourself and to dive into the monster that is drawing Good luck!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lionheartGFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    OoOooOooO Thanks for that LionheartGFX!! I appreciate you coming back and reading through stuff and catching that I totally need visual examples!! I have all those links opened in tabs now and will book mark them and go through them all!! I so super very much appreciate your help! You're awesome!

I glazed over a couple really quick and they look like great help! Thanks again!!

I've put the Michael Hampton book on request from my library!

PS. Those last two sites I use all the time for gestures! Love them!!
    Last edited by AdrienneRose; January 19th, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
    -AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    So I tried reading Drawing on the Artist Within by Betty Edwards, and I am not sure how it's going for me. I got hung up on the "preinstruction" drawings... and feel like I HAVE to do them... But I kind of know that I don't HAVE to...

So below, I tried to draw my hand this morning. And it just wasn't working out, and then my arm fell asleep... So I had to stop. Bad day for hand drawing apparently.

Name:  20 JAN Hand 900 .png
Views: 1281
Size:  142.5 KB

THEN. I was thinking about redesigning my blog, and wanted Koodge (muh dog) to be a part of it. So I wanted to try painting him. Here is the original photo, and my first progress shot.

Name:  originally.png
Views: 1234
Size:  233.8 KB
    Name:  Koodge progress 1.png
Views: 1223
Size:  334.0 KB

Sadly, I haven't done anything else today. It was a weird grumpy morning for me. lol. I guess I can have those kinds of days sometimes.
    -AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Great work with the anatomy and for drawing in photoshop for alot of your studies. It can be pretty hard to get the same kind of line quality in photoshop compared to drawing on paper. For me anyways lol Nice update with the painting as well. Keep Going!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great work! And I know that feel of struggling with poses from mind xD Never know what to do with arms and legs or how to place them, like what do people usually do with their arms and legs anyway.....
    Also, that dog ♥ Keep it up!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayveesto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zidartha View Post
    Great work! And I know that feel of struggling with poses from mind xD Never know what to do with arms and legs or how to place them, like what do people usually do with their arms and legs anyway.....
    Also, that dog ♥ Keep it up!

haha, right?! I don't even know what I do with my body. Pft. hahaha.

Thanks it's my dog, he's pretty great!
    -AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Sweet doggy

I like your hand. I were trying to draw some hands the other day. Its just freaking hard

Greets

Thanks
    you've been keeping super busy great to see -
    I had a dog just like yours when I was a kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Zidartha View Post
    Life drawing is really helpful for this. Drawing people at the mall, on the subway- or anywhere in real life. once you do a few hundred you start to realize people are pretty boring lol. I have a few hundred just of guys talking on a cell phone- or holding the rail on the subway.
    If you don't get a chance to go out- just looking for candid photos works- gotta love google! supermarket, cafe, subway wherever .

Happy sketching

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhubix View Post
    If you don't get a chance to go out- just looking for candid photos works- gotta love google! supermarket, cafe, subway wherever .

Happy sketching
    Great suggestions Rhubix! Thanks for stopping by!

--------------

More work on Koodge yesterday. Man, I was in a foul mood, not much came out of me artistically yesterday.

Name:  Koodge progress 2.png
Views: 1167
Size:  428.5 KB

Worked on a header for my blog, Koodge is going to be featured on it when I get done with him. He'll be sticking out from right side.

Name:  honeycomb1.1.png
Views: 1167
Size:  89.6 KB
    -AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    I liked your bio on page 1 it seems like you are having a lot of fun. In this most recent post it feels like your color is staying too much in the same family to be accurate. Usually a color will move from warm to cool across the form. I could give you better advice if you posted your photograph with your painting.
    For Science- Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Nice amount of work don't get discouraged about your hand drawing by the way. They're supposed to be really difficult.

You had kind of asked a rhetorical question like 2 pages back(sorry I haven't commented in so long lol) like "What if I don't want to work traditionally? Wouldn't it be better to just dive right in to digital?" I'm paraphrasing *shrug. Anyway my opinion is that ultimately any sort of digital media serves to mimic the traditional; and a strong foundation in traditional media can help a lot when transitioning to digital. It seems a bit haphazard to me to focus solely on digital work with no grounding in anything else. I don't know what your ambitions are but I think if you're trying to become a professional artist a lack of pencil development will hinder you later.

Just my thoughts. I don't pretend to know much though so take it with a grain of salt of course.

Glad to see you still working

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Beartankmaster For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast