Sketchbook: The Sketchbook of AdrienneRose - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Sketchbook of AdrienneRose

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    I've just been looking through your sketchbook and you can see improvement which is great one thing I have noticed is that in quite a lot of your drawings you use 'scratchy' lines, or draw several lines where only one is really needed. I realise these are mostly in your quicker drawings, but I think it'd really help you if you tried to use fewer lines, or just quickly consider where you'll put the line down before you do it, and reist drawing more into it, I think it's line economy or something. Saying that, I really love your lines in those 5 minute poses poses from your last update, you should try applying that to your quicker sketches. Keep up the hard work
    Yes, I know there are sketchy lines, sometimes it takes a while to get back "into" drawing if one has taken a very long long long unintentional hiatus. lol. However, I ask, what is your definition of a "gesture drawing"?
    In my experience, they are many things. To me, lines (too many or too few) do not necessarily matter because they are not "finished" pieces, merely "warm ups" or studies, also because from what I can gather from my recent readings upon gestures is that you're trying to capture the motion and "essence" of the figure, not necessarily the figure itself.
    However, from seeing other people's gestures on this site, there are many definitions and types. But maybe they are not traditional gestures? I see a lot of contour lines when people say they're doing "gestures". I do this too, but on my longer studies (5mins+).

I am still trying to get down "gesture" drawing, and trying to draw the motion and activity of the figure. It's seemingly difficult for me. Haha! Also, trying to figure out the proper placement and posture for drawing on a digital tablet for optimum arm movement. Any suggestions on this?

Thank you so much for stopping by! And leaving some ideas! I will implementing your idea and see if it works out for me!

-AdrienneRose-

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great discipline and studies showing through! Keep it up, I can see progress
    Feedback wise, the thing that jumps out at me that is falling way behind is the line quality on your analog sketches. Make it a challenge to draw with as few lines as humanly possible, and never accept scribbly jaggedy lines!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JordyLakiere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyLakiere View Post
    Great discipline and studies showing through! Keep it up, I can see progress
    Feedback wise, the thing that jumps out at me that is falling way behind is the line quality on your analog sketches. Make it a challenge to draw with as few lines as humanly possible, and never accept scribbly jaggedy lines!
    Thanks for stopping by JordyLakiere! Sketchiness is something I am working out... lol. I'm trying to work out the kinks, anyway. haha. I wont be working in "analog" often, because I want to really develop my digi abilities, but whenever I pull out my physical sketchbook/pencil/pen, I will definitely keep that in mind!! (along with my digital works).

Thanks!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked a lot over the last couple of days.

Andrew Loomis Mannkin practice. It was going really well... Until I had to come up with my "own" poses. I suck at poses so much. Practice practice practice, I suppose!

Name:  18janPG40 Mannkin details 900.png
Views: 455
Size:  367.3 KB
    Name:  19JAN mannkin pg 41 900.png
Views: 446
Size:  500.9 KB

This morning's gestures and 5 minute drawings.
    Used QuickPoses.com for the 30 second gestures and LoveCastle.org for the 5 min poses.

Name:  19Jan 30 sec 900.png
Views: 440
Size:  170.3 KB
    Name:  19JAN 5 min 900.png
Views: 437
Size:  209.5 KB

Last shoulder study for Spartan Camp. Reference.

Name:  19Jan Shoulder 900.png
Views: 440
Size:  473.2 KB

--------------------

Goals:
    Read art books
    Project Draw 100

Progress:
    Project Draw 100
    1 minute female gestures - [done] completed: 104/100
    1 minute male gestures - [done] completed: 104/100
    5 minute female - [in progress] completed: 42/100
    5 minute male - completed: 0/100
    10 minute female - completed: 0/100
    10 minute male - completed: 0/100

Reading
    Figure Drawing for all it's Worth - Andrew Loomis -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.41
    Drawing on the Artist Within - Betty Edwards -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.14
    The Natural Way to Draw - Nicolaides -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.9
    Drawing People - Colin Caket
    Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain - Betty Edwards
    Drawing for Dummies - Brenda Hoddinott [opened] -- Flipped through every single page, and it didn't call to me at all. I will be returning this book now.

Last edited by AdrienneRose; January 20th, 2013 at 07:28 AM.
    -AdrienneRose-

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrienneRose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love to see you are still working in your stuffs, i read what you said about being a visual person and i thought of bringin a few links to explain or atleast try haha to explain to you what i think you could work on:

okay so first, when i talk about construction and landmarks this all comes in any anatomy book, i recommend michael hamptons because thats where i learned it and also glenn vilppu books, actually hampton has a page where eh posts freebies from his book Draw that! AAAAAAALL of it if you can: www.figuredrawing.info

also theres Kevin chen demos of his figure drawing class this are soooo helpful bacuse the way he draws them lets you kind of see how he constructed the pose and the figure: http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/

theres also the fact that you dont have a method for sketching yet, try looking at the unplugged playlist from ctrl paint: http://www.ctrlpaint.com/tag/unplugged/
    matt kohr is a great speaker and a great editor so everything its really simple and easy to understand!

and last but not least this tutoral written by an excluse sketchbook memeber i cant remember his name right now haha, but this is the most insightful tuttorial on digital or tradtiional drawing, just read it all, but of course start with things that you can understand (this are in the lower tier of the tutorial since he talks alot about light, hues, values, and painting stuff that if you dont know the meaning you wont get what he is talking about
    anyways here it is: http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

and to practice theres always either of this sites:

http://lovecastle.org/draw/ <in this one you have several boxes you can do only figures or only faces, theres even photos of sports, but the quality is so so sometimes.

http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/ <<this one only has figures or animals, but all of their photos are high quality (theres even a "class" option where the timer exponentially grows so you can do longer drawings as you progress in the class)

hope this all helps you in the short and long run theres alot more information out there if you really want to improve i encourage you to look for more info yourself and to dive into the monster that is drawing Good luck!

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lionheartGFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OoOooOooO Thanks for that LionheartGFX!! I appreciate you coming back and reading through stuff and catching that I totally need visual examples!! I have all those links opened in tabs now and will book mark them and go through them all!! I so super very much appreciate your help! You're awesome!

I glazed over a couple really quick and they look like great help! Thanks again!!

I've put the Michael Hampton book on request from my library!

PS. Those last two sites I use all the time for gestures! Love them!!

Last edited by AdrienneRose; January 19th, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
    -AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I tried reading Drawing on the Artist Within by Betty Edwards, and I am not sure how it's going for me. I got hung up on the "preinstruction" drawings... and feel like I HAVE to do them... But I kind of know that I don't HAVE to...

So below, I tried to draw my hand this morning. And it just wasn't working out, and then my arm fell asleep... So I had to stop. Bad day for hand drawing apparently.

Name:  20 JAN Hand 900 .png
Views: 457
Size:  142.5 KB

THEN. I was thinking about redesigning my blog, and wanted Koodge (muh dog) to be a part of it. So I wanted to try painting him. Here is the original photo, and my first progress shot.

Name:  originally.png
Views: 422
Size:  233.8 KB
    Name:  Koodge progress 1.png
Views: 417
Size:  334.0 KB

Sadly, I haven't done anything else today. It was a weird grumpy morning for me. lol. I guess I can have those kinds of days sometimes.

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work with the anatomy and for drawing in photoshop for alot of your studies. It can be pretty hard to get the same kind of line quality in photoshop compared to drawing on paper. For me anyways lol Nice update with the painting as well. Keep Going!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work! And I know that feel of struggling with poses from mind xD Never know what to do with arms and legs or how to place them, like what do people usually do with their arms and legs anyway.....
    Also, that dog ♥ Keep it up!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zidartha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zidartha View Post
    Great work! And I know that feel of struggling with poses from mind xD Never know what to do with arms and legs or how to place them, like what do people usually do with their arms and legs anyway.....
    Also, that dog ♥ Keep it up!

haha, right?! I don't even know what I do with my body. Pft. hahaha.

Thanks it's my dog, he's pretty great!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet doggy

I like your hand. I were trying to draw some hands the other day. Its just freaking hard

Greets

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've been keeping super busy great to see -
    I had a dog just like yours when I was a kid!

Life drawing is really helpful for this. Drawing people at the mall, on the subway- or anywhere in real life. once you do a few hundred you start to realize people are pretty boring lol. I have a few hundred just of guys talking on a cell phone- or holding the rail on the subway.
    If you don't get a chance to go out- just looking for candid photos works- gotta love google! supermarket, cafe, subway wherever .

Happy sketching

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhubix View Post
    If you don't get a chance to go out- just looking for candid photos works- gotta love google! supermarket, cafe, subway wherever .

Happy sketching
    Great suggestions Rhubix! Thanks for stopping by!

--------------

More work on Koodge yesterday. Man, I was in a foul mood, not much came out of me artistically yesterday.

Name:  Koodge progress 2.png
Views: 374
Size:  428.5 KB

Worked on a header for my blog, Koodge is going to be featured on it when I get done with him. He'll be sticking out from right side.

Name:  honeycomb1.1.png
Views: 367
Size:  89.6 KB

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked your bio on page 1 it seems like you are having a lot of fun. In this most recent post it feels like your color is staying too much in the same family to be accurate. Usually a color will move from warm to cool across the form. I could give you better advice if you posted your photograph with your painting.

For Science- Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice amount of work don't get discouraged about your hand drawing by the way. They're supposed to be really difficult.

You had kind of asked a rhetorical question like 2 pages back(sorry I haven't commented in so long lol) like "What if I don't want to work traditionally? Wouldn't it be better to just dive right in to digital?" I'm paraphrasing *shrug. Anyway my opinion is that ultimately any sort of digital media serves to mimic the traditional; and a strong foundation in traditional media can help a lot when transitioning to digital. It seems a bit haphazard to me to focus solely on digital work with no grounding in anything else. I don't know what your ambitions are but I think if you're trying to become a professional artist a lack of pencil development will hinder you later.

Just my thoughts. I don't pretend to know much though so take it with a grain of salt of course.

Glad to see you still working

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Beartankmaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhubix View Post
    Life drawing is really helpful for this. Drawing people at the mall, on the subway- or anywhere in real life. once you do a few hundred you start to realize people are pretty boring lol. I have a few hundred just of guys talking on a cell phone- or holding the rail on the subway.

Happy sketching
    Yeah I should really start and do this but my sketching skills decrease 90% when I draw outside ^^; But that candid photos tip is gold, I´ll try that, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AdrienneRose View Post
    haha, right?! I don't even know what I do with my body. Pft. hahaha.

Thanks it's my dog, he's pretty great!
    Truest story, I don´t know what to do with my own body most of the time either xD

You´re dog´s cute as hell ♥

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh hey rad you posted your photoref. I hope you don't mind I did a quick paint-over. A golden rule for painting is that whenever an object changes value, it also changes hue. Meaning that the color will not just get darker, it will also get warmer or cooler every time it gets darker. It sounds strange but it is totally true. This isn't a perfect example, I hope you see what I am talking about.

Name:  originally copy (1).jpg
Views: 334
Size:  253.3 KB

For Science- Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey adrienne I love those loomis studys you really seem to put the effort to copy them right,a thing to keep in mind when doing them from imagination is proportion and perspective-you dont have to exactly measure
    your manikins if you know that the ribcage is roughly twice the size of the head(narrower towards the waist) seperated by a third of the head from the head itself and another third from the pelvis mass(which is roughly in manikin terms also the size of the head) the lower and upper leges are each 2 heads,if you keep this simple proportions in mind you can estimate it without making any grids.also another thing which can help you is to think of the page as a window to a 3d space and not a flat plane -I find that this change of perception allows me to better construct 3d objects.
    hope this helps as i am doing simillar studies at the moment-keep it up.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to GrayPersona For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrienneRose View Post
    Yes, I know there are sketchy lines, sometimes it takes a while to get back "into" drawing if one has taken a very long long long unintentional hiatus. lol. However, I ask, what is your definition of a "gesture drawing"?
    In my experience, they are many things. To me, lines (too many or too few) do not necessarily matter because they are not "finished" pieces, merely "warm ups" or studies, also because from what I can gather from my recent readings upon gestures is that you're trying to capture the motion and "essence" of the figure, not necessarily the figure itself.
    However, from seeing other people's gestures on this site, there are many definitions and types. But maybe they are not traditional gestures? I see a lot of contour lines when people say they're doing "gestures". I do this too, but on my longer studies (5mins+).

I am still trying to get down "gesture" drawing, and trying to draw the motion and activity of the figure. It's seemingly difficult for me. Haha! Also, trying to figure out the proper placement and posture for drawing on a digital tablet for optimum arm movement. Any suggestions on this?

Thank you so much for stopping by! And leaving some ideas! I will implementing your idea and see if it works out for me!
    It's no problem and my lines are far from perfect and something I'm working on as well!

Oh no, of course gestures come in all forms! What I meant by using less 'scratchy' or fewer lines in gesture drawings is that it can be used to just build up confidence in drawing as a whole. I was given similar advice by somebody in my old sketchbook, as I was creating these very scratchy messy gestures. It may not be the case for you at all, but for me it was a confidence issue and I took their advice on board and tried to be more confident or bold in my linework, using fewer lines or as few as I could. It really did help my confidence, and and just my general approach to drawing and that advice still sticks with me now!

It's fine to have messy, scratchy gesture drawings too - you could also try to create some gesture drawings with fewer lines, maybe limit yourself to 5 or so lines in each one. Obviously the most important thing is that you draw Drawing the body is extremely difficult for me as well, and is something I haven't tried for about a year after I had life drawing classes at university, so I'm definitely no expert! It was advice I was given and I thought it could be of some help to you as well, hope this explains it for you!

You've already started doing it in your lastest figure drawings anyway, keep up the great work!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You´re dog´s cute as hell ♥
    Isn't He?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomy View Post
    Nice amount of work don't get discouraged about your hand drawing by the way. They're supposed to be really difficult.

You had kind of asked a rhetorical question like 2 pages back(sorry I haven't commented in so long lol) like "What if I don't want to work traditionally? Wouldn't it be better to just dive right in to digital?" I'm paraphrasing *shrug. Anyway my opinion is that ultimately any sort of digital media serves to mimic the traditional; and a strong foundation in traditional media can help a lot when transitioning to digital. It seems a bit haphazard to me to focus solely on digital work with no grounding in anything else. I don't know what your ambitions are but I think if you're trying to become a professional artist a lack of pencil development will hinder you later.

Just my thoughts. I don't pretend to know much though so take it with a grain of salt of course.

Glad to see you still working
    Yeah, I know what you mean by that. But, also, I might just have to learn the hard way. Here I am being stubborn and hard headed! I think I get that from my dad . I don't often have to learn the hard way, but I've always gotten myself in trouble in Art classes growing up, and in college... cause I didn't want to follow their direction. I am doing much better here though, at taking other people's advice! haha. I am a little proud!

Quote Originally Posted by ForScience View Post
    oh hey rad you posted your photoref. I hope you don't mind I did a quick paint-over. A golden rule for painting is that whenever an object changes value, it also changes hue. Meaning that the color will not just get darker, it will also get warmer or cooler every time it gets darker. It sounds strange but it is totally true. This isn't a perfect example, I hope you see what I am talking about.
    I love how you did that quick paint over! Haha. I like that better than like, making sure that all the colors flow into each other... LOL. I am so weird. I hopefully captured that. For some reason I wasn't getting the notifications on my sketchbook. Why I haven't responded... Silly email glitches...

Quote Originally Posted by GrayPersona View Post
    hey adrienne I love those loomis studys you really seem to put the effort to copy them right,a thing to keep in mind when doing them from imagination is proportion and perspective-you dont have to exactly measure
    your manikins if you know that the ribcage is roughly twice the size of the head(narrower towards the waist) seperated by a third of the head from the head itself and another third from the pelvis mass(which is roughly in manikin terms also the size of the head) the lower and upper leges are each 2 heads,if you keep this simple proportions in mind you can estimate it without making any grids.also another thing which can help you is to think of the page as a window to a 3d space and not a flat plane -I find that this change of perception allows me to better construct 3d objects.
    hope this helps as i am doing simillar studies at the moment-keep it up.
    Thanks for the tips! I have a terrible time even coming up with things from imagination! haha, I think that's my biggest downfall. I imagine it's something to practice on.

Love that idea as a window into a 3D space, I may have to write that down! Thanks for stopping by!

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    It's no problem and my lines are far from perfect and something I'm working on as well!

Oh no, of course gestures come in all forms! What I meant by using less 'scratchy' or fewer lines in gesture drawings is that it can be used to just build up confidence in drawing as a whole. I was given similar advice by somebody in my old sketchbook, as I was creating these very scratchy messy gestures. It may not be the case for you at all, but for me it was a confidence issue and I took their advice on board and tried to be more confident or bold in my linework, using fewer lines or as few as I could. It really did help my confidence, and and just my general approach to drawing and that advice still sticks with me now!

It's fine to have messy, scratchy gesture drawings too - you could also try to create some gesture drawings with fewer lines, maybe limit yourself to 5 or so lines in each one. Obviously the most important thing is that you draw Drawing the body is extremely difficult for me as well, and is something I haven't tried for about a year after I had life drawing classes at university, so I'm definitely no expert! It was advice I was given and I thought it could be of some help to you as well, hope this explains it for you!

You've already started doing it in your lastest figure drawings anyway, keep up the great work!
    Thanks for coming back spirit! It is definitely something to work on, and I love the idea of limiting myself to 5 or so lines! Seems like a nice challenge!

-----------------------------------

Not much out of me in the last couple of days. Sorry about that. I was SUPER grumpy the other day... I barely even touched my computer. Hah.

Here is my final on the Koodge pup. I had to just. stop. because... well, it stopped being fun. And that's what I am doing this for, fun. Not to get pissed off and frustrated at myself! lol. But I worked on him for most of the day, and I hope that I got what ForScience was saying down, although, I 'finished' this piece before I read this comment. If I didn't capture that, I think I will next time. I was definitely noticing that the more I was working on it.

Koodge-pup is definitely a gorgeous subject of whom I bet will show up in this sketchbook many times. Hehe.

Name:  Koodge final.png
Views: 321
Size:  501.1 KB

This is what I did with Mr. Koodge... for my blog.

Name:  honeycomb1.2.png
Views: 315
Size:  124.4 KB

I did do some sketchbook sketching the other day, but they're so damn awful I will not even hurt your eyeballs here. I was distracted when I was drawing in my sketchbook, and the sketches are definitely a waste of paper. lol.

I will have to get back on Schedule tomorrow. Gestures for Spartan Camp are needed, and possibly the "negative" drawing thing. We'll see...

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    edges are a bit sharp but very good, the hard work is paying off.

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D'aww thats a pretty cute dog

Really loving the nose

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Incinerated View Post
    edges are a bit sharp but very good, the hard work is paying off.
    Edges are sharp? How do you mean? I mean... he does "end" there... lol. How do I fix that? smudge it?? Or do you mean because I didn't put in the fur detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by Izene View Post
    D'aww thats a pretty cute dog

Really loving the nose
    Thank you! He is darned cute!

No drawing updates today. I mostly worked on finishing the revamp of my blog... I am ashamed that I have not drawn really today. Sad me.

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awww, that puppy's so freaking adorable. *Ahem* Now that I've got the cute out of my system... Great sketchbook so far! A few things I'd suggest you address. You said you took some architectural classes, so I'm thinking that you have been exposed to perspective drawing in some form or another and probably understand just how damn important it is regarding everything you draw. Like, ever. So if you're not actively studying that, DO IT NOW. I also suggest doing as much (if not more) traditional drawing as you do with digital since you're starting out/picking art back up. Someone mentioned that digital works to mimic traditional drawing, and that's absolutely right, even if it does so very poorly, and not having that confident, bad-assness feeling of how it is to draw accurately and effectively using pens/pencils/markers/fine liners on paper will absolutely hurt you when it comes to drawing digitally. I wasted a lot of time because of this and have just now started to feel comfortable, when I could have been there over a year ago. Keep up the great work and I look forward to visiting back here after you've updated.

PS. I wouldn't worry so much about edge control at the moment, as is the case with the "sharp" edges on the painting of your dog. Painting needs to be secondary for you at the moment, drawing and construction studies being your absolute primary. When you get into painting and value studies then edges and how to accurately portray them will become something you'll need to study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFrenik View Post
    Awww, that puppy's so freaking adorable. *Ahem* Now that I've got the cute out of my system... Great sketchbook so far! A few things I'd suggest you address. You said you took some architectural classes, so I'm thinking that you have been exposed to perspective drawing in some form or another and probably understand just how damn important it is regarding everything you draw. Like, ever. So if you're not actively studying that, DO IT NOW. I also suggest doing as much (if not more) traditional drawing as you do with digital since you're starting out/picking art back up. Someone mentioned that digital works to mimic traditional drawing, and that's absolutely right, even if it does so very poorly, and not having that confident, bad-assness feeling of how it is to draw accurately and effectively using pens/pencils/markers/fine liners on paper will absolutely hurt you when it comes to drawing digitally. I wasted a lot of time because of this and have just now started to feel comfortable, when I could have been there over a year ago. Keep up the great work and I look forward to visiting back here after you've updated.

PS. I wouldn't worry so much about edge control at the moment, as is the case with the "sharp" edges on the painting of your dog. Painting needs to be secondary for you at the moment, drawing and construction studies being your absolute primary. When you get into painting and value studies then edges and how to accurately portray them will become something you'll need to study.
    MrFrenik - Thanks much, he is a cute dog!

Doing as much or more 'traditional' drawing probably isn't going to happen. I know all these people keep saying that it is a good idea to do -- However, I just cannot wrap my head around the reasoning behind it. I don't understand why I would go back to pencil and pen drawing when what I want to draw with is digital. I may be sounding a bit hard headed at the moment, and that's fine. But, some things I just have to learn on my own, I suppose.

I will however, draw in my sketchbook when I am not at home, with my digital pad available. I think that's a good compromise. You all will probably see a lot more real paper doodles and drawings when the warm weather comes around. During this winter, I just cannot really bring myself to getting out of the house.

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a great comment! I will draw more on paper in the warmer weather, when my digital pad isn't available for me to just take around with me. I appreciate your crit!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first two gesture pages were done with the intention of drawing FEWER and more meaningful lines. I was really trying to capture the gesture.
    I think they went, okay-ish... Definitely going to challenge myself with this more!

Name:  30SEC MINIMAL STROKES.png
Views: 232
Size:  187.8 KB
    Name:  30SEC MINIMAL STROKES 2.png
Views: 236
Size:  1.36 MB

And, the last two gestures were not timed. For some reason I have this really strong inclination towards woodland creatures. Right now, specifically deer. Man, they are WEIRD shaped. Right? Much longer bodies than I really knew. And much longer than my pen wants to put down. It's going to take practice! Definitely.

Name:  deer1.png
Views: 224
Size:  207.7 KB
    Name:  deer.png
Views: 222
Size:  77.1 KB

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goals:
    Read art books
    Project Draw 100

Progress:
    Project Draw 100
    1 minute female gestures - [done] completed: 104/100
    1 minute male gestures - [done] completed: 104/100
    5 minute female - [in progress] completed: 42/100
    5 minute male - completed: 0/100
    10 minute female - completed: 0/100
    10 minute male - completed: 0/100

Reading
    Figure Drawing for all it's Worth - Andrew Loomis -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.41
    Drawing on the Artist Within - Betty Edwards -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.14
    The Natural Way to Draw - Nicolaides -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.9
    Drawing People - Colin Caket
    Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain - Betty Edwards
    Drawing for Dummies - Brenda Hoddinott [returned] - was not a book I liked nor could follow.
    Drawing and Painting the Figure - Stan Smith and Linda Wheeler
    Anatomy for the Artist - Sara Simblet
    Figure Drawing - Michael Hampton

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has been a while since you updated, I was wondering if you might have left us :3
    Your deer studies are quite nice ^^
    I think for your 30 second gestures you could learn line weight, so it will give the viewer a better idea of the flow =]

I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by V3T View Post
    It has been a while since you updated, I was wondering if you might have left us :3
    Your deer studies are quite nice ^^
    I think for your 30 second gestures you could learn line weight, so it will give the viewer a better idea of the flow =]
    Nah, just haven't been too motivated. Unfortunately!

Yeah, I could put to use line weight. I am not sure if 30 secs is long enough for me! haha. I was just trying to challenge myself to use minimal strokes in the one above. Used up my whole 30 seconds. LOL.

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaskpost View Post
    Great looking gestures!
    Thanks! It was super hard to stick with the minimal stroke rule I gave myself! But I think it really helped. Looking forward to working on more this week.

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love the direction you are moving towards, doing more meaningufl lines is the way to go but also practice the next stage to that wich is building volume with either value (tone and shadow) or overlaps, have fun and keep it up!

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 89