Sketchbook: The Sketchbook of AdrienneRose - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Sketchbook of AdrienneRose

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Saraiva View Post
    Hello! There are some really good studies here. The last portrait is great.
    Looking at your work I realized one aspect that could be improved on. Some of your drawings are lacking strong construction and that takes away from their 3 dimensionality and overall form. I think what has helped me a lot to grasp this is drawing using basic shapes( sphere, cube, cylinder and pyramid/cone.) Once you master drawing those in any angle, your drawings will start to leap out of the page. I would recommend taking a look at Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing book to to see the way he uses construction.

Your hard work is paying off. Hoping to see more
    First off, thanks for stopping by Saraiva! I appreciate it very much! It's nice to see some new faces up in my Sketchbook! lol!

I haven't really completed any final drawings yet, but, I will definitely keep that in mind! Also, maybe put off putting away my christmas ornaments so that I have some sort of Sphere to draw! Also, I will contemplate making some cubes and cones so I can see them in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by eroquii View Post
    That's coming out great! Good job so far. Keep going! You and Dichotomy both made me want to undertake some value studies, but I failed miserably and got scared away haha.
    Thanks eroquii for stopping by and handing out the encouragement! It really helps! Don't let anything about drawing scare you! You know it's all inanimate right? It wont bite! Try, try again!

-AdrienneRose-

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portrait of Marlo

So, I worked on this a lot today. I thought I was just going to do a little bit today, and then finish tomorrow. But, I didn't really feel like drawing much else. So I finished this up. Well, I feel like it's finished, because I just am really tired of working on it. This shall be my first "completed" digital painting. LOL. It's quite exciting!

Name:  marlo copy.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  22.7 KBName:  marlo progress1 SMALL.png
Views: 235
Size:  6.8 KBName:  marlo progress2 SMALL.png
Views: 238
Size:  8.6 KBName:  marlo progress3 SMALL.png
Views: 241
Size:  9.1 KB
    Name:  marlo progress4 B&W.png
Views: 241
Size:  93.1 KB

Well... I tried to do a gif... but I have no idea how to do it. LOL. Ah well.

Oh, and when I went to pick up husband from work, and I was waiting for him to come out::::

Name:  IMG_4911.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  168.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_4912.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  188.6 KB

I was using the app Random Pose, I think it's the Posemaniacs app?? But yes, so... I drew in my actual sketchbook. I'm proud.

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Projects you are working on there like your improvement.

But i think you still have the same problem as me. I where trying to draw figures and i where thinking to myself "something is wrong here". I did this for a few month before i spoke to a fellow artist (truely on a much higher level then me ) he told me to go back to drawing simple figures like squares, circles, cubes etc. He gave me a valueable advice to go back to painting stills.

Ofcourse, i am truely on a very low level - compared to the rest of this forum - but this advice - maybe it can help you improve much faster

I just started my sketchbook, after painting around 40 stills i got to the cup i posted, and i must tell you, it gave me a whole new way of looking at things (as you can see on my 2 examples from earlier days).

Hab das hier jetzt mal für alle geschrieben. Wenn du magst, lass uns per PN ein wenig schreiben. Mir fehlen noch so sehr die Kontakte zum austauschen

Lg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by w0rmy View Post
    ... he told me to go back to drawing simple figures like squares, circles, cubes etc. He gave me a valueable advice to go back to painting stills.
    Thanks for stopping by! I really appreciate it!

I do definitely need to do some stills. I have a banana that I have been thinking about doing... I need to... Siiiiiiigh.

I've responded to you on your sketchbook!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your stop at my humble sketchbook i replied to your question there.

stills can be quiet fun. i, for instance, enjoyed to draw simple glossy shapes with reflections if you dont like the banana then dont draw it. forcing yourself wont be usefull, always keep it fun, thats what i am trying

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mike butkus View Post
    Great start and cute CH designs.
    What are CH designs?? Lol and thank you for stopping by!!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Adrienne, I just stopped by to post this link for you, it's a free perspective grid, might come in handy ^_^ http://www.freddieart.com/quicktools...d=1&category=2 Also, I am pretty impressed with the portrait, looks quite solid =]

I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to V3T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to see you're keeping busy! Wanted to give some advice on your proportion studies.
    Keep in mind that the bits of the body all work in balance with one another- so they tilt back and forth.
    I drew a rough sketch to elaborate - the body works in a kind of zig zag pattern.

Name:  CA1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  147.4 KB

Also, with legs- the muscles in the thighs are more visible in the front, and the calves are mainly visible the back - so the lower leg looks like it's behind the upper leg - and gives you a nice s curve- just google 'legs' and you should notice it in pictures.
    When my first figure drawing teacher pointed that out to me I nearly fell over- and my figures got better instantly.

Hope this is helpful, keep up the good work

& Happy sketching

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A little color theory shtuffffff

Decided to work a little bit on color theory stuff. To practice mixing colors digitally.

Color Theory WorkSheets.

Name:  colour_theory_work_sheet-1.png
Views: 238
Size:  208.3 KB
    Name:  colour_theory_work_sheet-2.png
Views: 233
Size:  265.6 KB
    Name:  colour_theory_work_sheet-3.png
Views: 228
Size:  242.6 KB
    Name:  colour_theory_work_sheet-4.png
Views: 230
Size:  165.0 KB

I found the last worksheet to be most helpful. The neutralizing of complimentary colors. It never really got into my head during my college courses that I could use complimentary colors for shading and such, I only took color theory at a basic leve, and the teach was shit... Makes sense though...

The hardest color was green... It was sad...

Also, I am apparently not very good at following directions... Left to right, top to bottom, stay in the lines. PFT. I am totally above that! haha

I had a lot of fun doing this. Going to look for more, to see if there are different ones.

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep going, keep pushing yourself.

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool worksheet i will try doing it too todays evening

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oooh i like whats going on in here! lots of focus on fundamentals that is the absolute right decision, keep doing that, im sure everyone told you about proportions and all of that, what i would like to bring out is the dynamic aspect of the figure, i recommend you to look for michael d mattesi book is called FORCE its quite famous for animators and artists so it should not be hard to find, this book took the way i see the figure to a next level since mattesi speaks of the quality of the line and how it impacts the way we draw the figure, plus the method it teaches you its very flexible so you can take what you want from it, keep on going miss, you could make a very, VERY big jump this year if you keep working harder and focusing on your weakpoints wich so far the few i can notice are:

-Your line is very sketchy try to make it more flowing and loose (warm up your elbow and arm before starting a session and always try to make confident and determined lines)

-your quick figure sketches dont capture as much info as they should, read upon the essential information needed to build a pose (flow line, center line, tilt of the torso vs the pelivs, where the feet are in space)

-practice seeing and working with negative and positive space, possibly the best tool for making quick gestures.

-do some real reading on perpective and PRACTICE it, this is my personal biggest flaw and i think everyone should take a moment in their schedule to improve on perspective and how the forms work in space with each other

-and last this is only a suggestion, chose your favourites landmarks in the body and get comfortable using them, for an example i personally use alot the clavicle, the nave, and the pit of the pelvis alot to find how a pose is being build.

im being critical on your stuff because i really would like to see you improve i do see talent but its all behind the insecurities of your line, you need to destroy them! and let the true artist breathe through your work.

keep rocking!

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lionheartGFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see good improvement from page one to here! Keep tackling the fundamentals like you are doing now. I'd advice to do quick value studies in thumbnail format (like 15 mins per thumb), they'll improve your painting skills big time.

Keep up the good work!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to - nat - For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Incinerated View Post
    keep going, keep pushing yourself.
    That's the plan! Thanks for stopping by!

Cool worksheet i will try doing it too todays evening
    Do it! Can't wait to see!

Quote Originally Posted by lionheartGFX View Post
    oooh i like whats going on in here! lots of focus on fundamentals that is the absolute right decision, keep doing that, im sure everyone told you about proportions and all of that, what i would like to bring out is the dynamic aspect of the figure, i recommend you to look for michael d mattesi book is called FORCE its quite famous for animators and artists so it should not be hard to find, this book took the way i see the figure to a next level since mattesi speaks of the quality of the line and how it impacts the way we draw the figure, plus the method it teaches you its very flexible so you can take what you want from it, keep on going miss, you could make a very, VERY big jump this year if you keep working harder and focusing on your weakpoints wich so far the few i can notice are:

-Your line is very sketchy try to make it more flowing and loose (warm up your elbow and arm before starting a session and always try to make confident and determined lines)

-your quick figure sketches dont capture as much info as they should, read upon the essential information needed to build a pose (flow line, center line, tilt of the torso vs the pelivs, where the feet are in space)

-practice seeing and working with negative and positive space, possibly the best tool for making quick gestures.

-do some real reading on perpective and PRACTICE it, this is my personal biggest flaw and i think everyone should take a moment in their schedule to improve on perspective and how the forms work in space with each other

-and last this is only a suggestion, chose your favourites landmarks in the body and get comfortable using them, for an example i personally use alot the clavicle, the nave, and the pit of the pelvis alot to find how a pose is being build.

im being critical on your stuff because i really would like to see you improve i do see talent but its all behind the insecurities of your line, you need to destroy them! and let the true artist breathe through your work.

keep rocking!
    LionheartGFX - Thank you so much for stopping by! I appreciate your critiques and especially the way you lay them out. I didn't feel attacked at all. I appreciate it. And I suck at getting critiques!

I plan on going to the library today and will have to write that down, maybe they'll have it! Or I can order it, maybe.

Again I appreciate all your critiques, but, I am a visual person and really need visual examples look at to back up what you're saying. I really would love to give a shot to all your points there! Thanks so much! And I will do my best to do some research. But if you have an specific helpful links, I would really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by e-nat View Post
    I see good improvement from page one to here! Keep tackling the fundamentals like you are doing now. I'd advice to do quick value studies in thumbnail format (like 15 mins per thumb), they'll improve your painting skills big time.

Keep up the good work!
    Do you know where I could find some good examples of how to do a value study that you talk about? I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much for stopping by!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A good example is from Ctrl+ Paint site:

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/form-value-and-light/
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/sketching-value/
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/why-practice-in-grayscale/

These videos are a bit basic, but he has different short tuts that explain things in detail. I hope that answers your question, if not please let me know ^^

21. The Following User Says Thank You to - nat - For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks e-nat! I will definitely look into those links you provided!!

Here are my recent works. Most are for Spartan Camp #251, I am really enjoying those!

Name:  IMG_4918.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  217.5 KB

Used Posemaniacs app for the above gestures. I am not sure how I like that app, I don't really like that it's not real people... But, I guess it will do...

Name:  IMG_4926.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  101.8 KB

Did the above one in the doc's office today. I see now that the leg proportions are outta whack!

Name:  Shoulder.png
Views: 175
Size:  64.1 KB

Shoulder studies for Spartan Camp. Next time, I will upload them at a slightly bigger size... and do a bit better at the drawing. Never really drew one part of the body before... besides a hand. lol. But, I kind of dig it. More to come!

Name:  17jan 30sec.png
Views: 180
Size:  1.32 MB
    Name:  7jan 5min resized.png
Views: 176
Size:  221.7 KB

Did some 30 second gestures to warm up for my 5 mins. I was really trying to be meaningful in my lines. I thought they were working well.. But I look back and second guess myself. But, then, not at the same time.. I am not sure how I feel. haha.

Also, went to the library yesterday and picked up a couple of books!
    Drawing on the Artist Within - Betty Edwards
    Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain - Betty Edwards
    Drawing People - Colin Caket
    Drawing for Dummies - Brenda Hoddinott (was just curious what it entailed... lol)
    The Natural Way to Draw - Nicolaides

-----

Goals:
    Read art books
    Project Draw 100

Progress:
    Project Draw 100
    1 minute female gestures - [done] completed: 104/100
    1 minute male gestures - [done] completed: 104/100
    5 minute female - [in progress] completed: 17/100
    5 minute male - completed: 0/100
    10 minute female - completed: 0/100
    10 minute male - completed: 0/100

Reading
    Figure Drawing for all it's Worth - Andrew Loomis -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.40
    Drawing on the Artist Within - Betty Edwards -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.14
    The Natural Way to Draw - Nicolaides -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.9
    Drawing for Dummies - Brenda Hoddinott

Last edited by AdrienneRose; January 17th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.
    -AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Adrienne,

i just started the 30seconds gestures at posemaniac yesterday too i think its much much fun to draw on the clock at first it was difficult for me too to finish my gestures, then i started just drawing less lines. I was trying to get everything with "one line" if you know what i mean Ofcourse my sketches and gestures are far from good, but i could imagine it helping one very good with "seeing the main characteristics"

Its realy realy fun, keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Adrienne,

i just started the 30seconds gestures at posemaniac yesterday too i think its much much fun to draw on the clock at first it was difficult for me too to finish my gestures, then i started just drawing less lines. I was trying to get everything with "one line" if you know what i mean Ofcourse my sketches and gestures are far from good, but i could imagine it helping one very good with "seeing the main characteristics"

Its realy realy fun, keep it up
    I think it is really fun to have a timed drawing as well! It really puts me in the zone!

I think that it is going to take some practice to get some meaningful "real" gesture drawings down, but I am working on it! Thanks for stopping by!

Name:  30 sec female 900.png
Views: 162
Size:  146.1 KB

30 second gestures, was trying to feel the actions in my gestures, but falling on my face in the process... Beh. Keep practicing, keep practicing. Le sigh.

Name:  5 min female 900.png
Views: 166
Size:  163.2 KB

5 min drawings. Trying to have meaningful lines, less sketchy messiness. I think it's going... okay.
    Pose reference.

Name:  18Jan Shoulder 900.png
Views: 167
Size:  257.3 KB

Shoulder studies for Spartan Camp #251 - Reference.

----------

Goals:
    Read art books
    Project Draw 100

Progress:
    Project Draw 100
    1 minute female gestures - [done] completed: 104/100
    1 minute male gestures - [done] completed: 104/100
    5 minute female - [in progress] completed: 28/100
    5 minute male - completed: 0/100
    10 minute female - completed: 0/100
    10 minute male - completed: 0/100

Reading
    Figure Drawing for all it's Worth - Andrew Loomis -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.40
    Drawing on the Artist Within - Betty Edwards -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.14
    The Natural Way to Draw - Nicolaides -- [Opened] Currently Reading pg.9
    Drawing for Dummies - Brenda Hoddinott

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I REALLY love those anatomy studies, they look so dynamic =].

Your 5 minute gestures are looking quite clean, you have a great act in drawing what you see, I love that ^_^

I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook

26. The Following User Says Thank You to V3T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The anatomy studies are looking great. You seem to be going pretty hard, I like it. Keep this rhythm and you will be surprised by how quickly your work will evolve.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Saraiva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Saraiva View Post
    The anatomy studies are looking great. You seem to be going pretty hard, I like it. Keep this rhythm and you will be surprised by how quickly your work will evolve.
    Thanks for noticing Saraiva! I've been trying to either 1) draw every day or 2) study about drawing every day. It's not too hard when you don't work at all!! hahaha. Thanks for stopping by!!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey adrienne nice studies of poses one thing that helps with that is studying a simple manikin,try that maybe and keep working hard!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayPersona View Post
    hey adrienne nice studies of poses one thing that helps with that is studying a simple manikin,try that maybe and keep working hard!
    Funny you say that GrayPersona! I studied some Mannkin last night! I'll probably be uploading later tonight! thanks for stopping by!!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, AdrienneRose!
    I'm impressed with all the work you're doing! I'm diggin' the line work on the last couple of images, too.
    For your color issue from a few days: did you figure it out?-is it the mode that the image is in? In the Menue, look at "Image" -> "Mode" -> and make sure it's in RGB. Does that make sense?

Keep on Keepin-on .

33. The Following User Says Thank You to angieb. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by angieb. View Post
    Hi, AdrienneRose!
    I'm impressed with all the work you're doing! I'm diggin' the line work on the last couple of images, too.
    For your color issue from a few days: did you figure it out?-is it the mode that the image is in? In the Menue, look at "Image" -> "Mode" -> and make sure it's in RGB. Does that make sense?

Keep on Keepin-on .
    Yes I did figure it out! Thanks for checking! It was exactly that mode issue! Not sure how it happened! But I can fix it now.
    Thank you for stopping in!!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the painting (the one with the screaming look)!

Keep it up!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to rappdg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrienneRose View Post
    Funny you say that GrayPersona! I studied some Mannkin last night! I'll probably be uploading later tonight! thanks for stopping by!!

I myself bought a manikin today. A small tabletop one i will try studing it tonight Cant wait to see yours!

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I myself bought a manikin today. A small tabletop one i will try studing it tonight Cant wait to see yours!

Cheers
    I was talking about the Mannkin from the Loomis book "figure drawing for all it's worth". But I really want a mannequin too!! -- I could really use it, been looking on amazon for one!! Haven't spent the money on it yet!

Quote Originally Posted by rappdg View Post
    I really like the painting (the one with the screaming look)!

Keep it up!
    Thank you!! It was my first painting! Thanks for stopping in!

Last edited by AdrienneRose; January 19th, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
    -AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've just been looking through your sketchbook and you can see improvement which is great one thing I have noticed is that in quite a lot of your drawings you use 'scratchy' lines, or draw several lines where only one is really needed. I realise these are mostly in your quicker drawings, but I think it'd really help you if you tried to use fewer lines, or just quickly consider where you'll put the line down before you do it, and reist drawing more into it, I think it's line economy or something. Saying that, I really love your lines in those 5 minute poses poses from your last update, you should try applying that to your quicker sketches. Keep up the hard work

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 89