Sketchbook: The Sketchbook of AdrienneRose - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art duuuuump

Here is all the goodness I worked on whilst CA was down and out of sorts!

Name:  5janConverse.png
Views: 200
Size:  179.6 KB

My shoe. I was working on this in the morning. And then I had to go out and do things, which required me putting on my shoe! lol. When I got back it was too dark in my house to continue. So it's unfinished. But I still think it looks nice.

Name:  6jan1min resized.png
Views: 195
Size:  493.8 KB
    Name:  7Jan 1min Female 31-69 resized.png
Views: 197
Size:  244.2 KB
    Name:  8jan 1min female 70-104 resized.png
Views: 194
Size:  362.9 KB
    Gesture reference from The Drawing Script.

Worked on a Draw 100 Project for myself. Done on the 6th, 7th and 8th respectively. 1 minute female gestures. Still trying to figure out if I am going to work on men next or up my time for females. What would you suggest?

I think this was a very good study. And I definitely would do it, and plan to do it again and again. I can see towards the last part, I was starting to get the whole body down in one session. I can see progress.

Name:  6janPG26 - ideal proportions.png
Size:  155.5 KB
    Name:  7janPG27 - female ideal proportions.png
Views: 196
Size:  268.2 KB
    Name:  8janPG39 - Mannkin resized.png
Views: 192
Size:  161.0 KB
    Name:  8jan - Mannkin - stationary pivot studies resized.png
Views: 193
Size:  77.0 KB
    Name:  8jan - mannkin - moving pivots resized.png
Size:  141.0 KB

On the 6th I started reading Andrew Loomis Figure Drawing for all it's Worth. And the above are my studies from the book.

I think the Mannkins are really helping. It was really difficult to come up with poses out of my head. I am sure that is something that comes with practice.

Last edited by AdrienneRose; January 9th, 2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: photo placement/ reference link
    -AdrienneRose-

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrienneRose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha wow, I was actually going through the same exercises from Loomis and I felt the same exact way. You're not alone! What really bugged me was when I was drawing the length of the ribs, pelvis, and legs. I just felt so weird making them longer than I was used to. Keep up the studies! You should try doing them from memory too if you're not doing it already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies here! lots of work to. Keep up the hard work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eroquii View Post
    haha wow, I was actually going through the same exercises from Loomis and I felt the same exact way. You're not alone! What really bugged me was when I was drawing the length of the ribs, pelvis, and legs. I just felt so weird making them longer than I was used to. Keep up the studies! You should try doing them from memory too if you're not doing it already.
    I am glad I am not the only one who felt weird about it! haha. But, overall I think it's really helping!

Hmm, from my mind. Man, that is the part that I really suck at, because I can never think of a pose out of my head. I think my brain feels like it's put on the spot or something and then draws a complete blank!

Quote Originally Posted by Staal Sander View Post
    Good studies here! lots of work to. Keep up the hard work.
    Thanks Staal! I appreciate you stopping by!! I plan to keep up the hard work. I haven't kept something up for this long every day consecutively for a long time. I am feeling a little bump today though, as I cannot decide whether I should work on some more Female, lengthening the gesture time, or I should do some male 1 min gestures, what do you think?

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could do a few fast ones as a warm up for the longer one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Adrienne, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! What I noticed on the male proportion study, where you wrote weird, it looked a little off only because head #2 (from the bottom) ends where the knee ends, not in the middle of the knee, but the images after show that you're getting the hand of those proportions quick!

I especially loved the figure of that girl bending back on post #18, really impressive!

Keep going, you'll do great!

”I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

My (currently) terrible sketchbook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Thistlegorm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Thistleborn View Post
    ...What I noticed on the male proportion study, where you wrote weird, it looked a little off only because head #2 (from the bottom) ends where the knee ends, not in the middle of the knee, but the images after show that you're getting the hand of those proportions quick!

I especially loved the figure of that girl bending back on post #18, really impressive!

Keep going, you'll do great!
    YES! I was thinking that was the issue too! I keep having problems with "the bottom of the knee" part. My brain says "that's a weird place to cut the body!" lol!!

That girl bending back has to be my favorite so far! Thank you for noticing and stopping by my sketchbook!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work on figure gesture studies. Your improvement is impressive in only one month. But it's well-known that girls learn faster than boys. Let's keep it up!

"The fulfillment of oneself is achieved with victory over their challenges"
    My thought

My SkEtChBoOk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucarky View Post
    Good work on figure gesture studies. Your improvement is impressive in only one month. But it's well-known that girls learn faster than boys. Let's keep it up!
    HAHA! I suppose that's right. But I see a lot of guy's work around here. It seems as though, now that I've been looking into art stuff deeper, that maybe it's kind of a man's field. NOT that I would let something like THAT detour me away from it in any way. I'm not like that, I was a math major for goodness sakes. lmao.

Thank you for the encouragement! I hope you keep stopping by!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies!
    You did a lot!!! Keep em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Izene View Post
    Great studies!
    You did a lot!!! Keep em coming!
    Thanks for stopping in Izene and for the encouragement!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had some interesting visions and dreams last night. Below are some quick sketches that I just had to get down, out of my head. They were practically haunting me.

They're nothing to write home about, but maybe once I learn painting better, I can make them into something great.

Name:  9jan boy outsidekindergarten resized.png
Views: 176
Size:  137.3 KB
    Name:  9jan two little boys resized.png
Views: 183
Size:  287.8 KB

Then, I started on my Draw 100 Project 0.2 - 1 min. male gestures 1-36.
    Name:  9jan 1-36 resized.png
Views: 176
Size:  293.5 KB

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #11 your missing your reflection light (the reflection of light from the surface beneath it or standing next to it)
    it will look more realistic if you add it http://www.paulcarneyarts.com/images...ll_shading.jpg
    cool stuff anyway ! really like the christmas balls with like the matt and shiny texture

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Elias Leonard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias Leonard View Post
    #11 your missing your reflection light (the reflection of light from the surface beneath it or standing next to it)
    it will look more realistic if you add it http://www.paulcarneyarts.com/images...ll_shading.jpg
    cool stuff anyway ! really like the christmas balls with like the matt and shiny texture
    Oooh, I have a tiny reflection, but, I guess it wasn't big enough. lol!

Thanks for stopping by! I will work on that!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff Adrienne you've been drawing a lot The loomis studies are looking great and it's even greater that you're taking notes after your studies. No complaints or critiques here, keep up the drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest_I View Post
    Nice stuff Adrienne you've been drawing a lot The loomis studies are looking great and it's even greater that you're taking notes after your studies. No complaints or critiques here, keep up the drawing
    Thanks for stopping by Forrest! I appreciate it very much! Especially for the encouragement!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're improving nicely! Doing the 100 Challenge is always helpful for improvement, especially if it's for studying something outside of your comfort zone.

Keep it up!

Sketchbook
    (updated April 19, 2014)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AK_Guerrero View Post
    You're improving nicely! Doing the 100 Challenge is always helpful for improvement, especially if it's for studying something outside of your comfort zone.

Keep it up!
    I definitely will!! It's entertaining and time consuming for me!! Thank you for the encouragement and for stopping my my sketchbook! Have a great day!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finished up my Draw 100 Project 1.2

Over 100 1 min. male gestures!

First set shown here from The Drawing Script, and the second set is from Pixelovely.

Though, I must say, I like drawing from The Drawing Script better, because the models are actually nude. In Pixelovely, while they are nude, they either have something covering things up, or, they're really in a dark area, and the shadow covers up some important features. Not necessarily talking about the vag. or wang, lol. but like the curvature of the body, and some body parts.

Name:  10jan 37-69 resized.png
Views: 168
Size:  260.7 KB

So, I tried to attach the second one, but for some reason it's not resizing right? I tried to resize it exactly how I have always done it, but it still said it was way too many k. I don't know. Anyway, could it because I used a darker grey instead of a light grey as the background? No idea. Any suggestions?

Also, I want to look more into anatomy, bone, and muscle structure. But, I can't really afford to be spending a bunch on books right now (our car just took a shit... lol, luuuuucky us, right??)... So if you have any online suggestions for that, it would be much appreciated!!

I think my next step of my project 100 is to delve deeper into longer gesture times. 5 minutes I think is a good next step.

Someone earlier mentioned doing some memory work, drawing from memory. I don't think I am quite ready for that yet. So I think I am going to do the 5 minute ones next.

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice amount of gestures. The Loomis proportional study can be a bit disconcerting at first. I think it's the atypical pectoral insertions. Keep in mind though that the space between the nipples, the soles of the feet, and the widest points of the knees, is 1 head.

On both the frontal and rear view of the male Loomis study you have a tendency to make the left arm longer than the right. This may be a part of why it doesn't sit right with you.

Bammes is good for simplifying proportions(he's also awesome in general) if you ever care to check him out. You've said you're in Germany so you may even be able to read his work =D. I really wish I could read German >_<.

So far as your line work goes, I've found it's mostly about confidence for me. Blind contour drawings have been an exercise I've seen commonly recommended to improve line quality. Also this video may help if you're drawing from the wrist rather than the elbow.

Terribly basic, I know.
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/ctrlpaint-u...ng-the-pencil/

If you don't know about the site, you'll find it has quite a few digital painting tutorials.

In regards to the whole digital vs. traditional thing, I'd also advocate getting reacquainted with your pencil before going too crazy. I know your tablet is new and exciting right now but there's a certain security that's built up when working digitally. It can be easy to get complacent and repeat mistakes because of this. When working traditionally a mistake may be harder to correct and by necessity you'll be a bit sharper when working. Just a thought. It's kind of a dead horse at this point.

Last edited by Beartankmaster; January 12th, 2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try doing some finished pieces its always good to do them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dichotomy! Thanks for stopping by! And for pointing that out about the arm length! I totally see it now! You're probably right! I'll keep an eye on that in the future. I know I should probably keep up with the grid pattern he shows! But, any way to skimp, apparently. lol. Goodness me.

Unfortunately, no, lol. I cannot read German, I am an American living in Germany. I do not know too much German, I wish I did!! I try to keep learning!

Thanks for sharing that link! I have seen his painting tutorials, and really enjoy it! I will definitely watch the Pencil one. I keep bringing my sketch pad with me, but usually just a pen. No fixing mistakes that way!! lol. I haven't had the chance to draw in it yet... Rather, I haven't made my self draw in my sketch book since I got the tablet, pretty much. It's hard, I just don't want to. I will force myself soon enough.

I don't mind people to continue to tell me, I know they've got really good reason and experience. But I am a turd, apparently. LOL. I will get to it! Sometimes I just have to learn the hard way! lol!

Thanks again for stopping by and for the crits, much appreciated!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hobitt, finished work? I don't know if I could achieve what I think I should be able to yet. Haha. I've been working on my proportions and body, I think it's important. I am still learning, and still do not feel like I have any idea how to digitally paint! It's kind of overwhelming. lol

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Draw 100 Project 1.3 ;)

Started my 5 minute female gestures for my Draw 100 project. Had a great time doing them today! I can't wait, I really feel the ease coming with the constant studies. I am trying very hard to draw a little every day. So far so good!

Name:  12jan 5min 1-6 resized.png
Views: 148
Size:  52.0 KB

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was over on the thread "The official draw from what people look like thread" lol.

So I did one of Marlo. I wanted to do it in color, but for some reason in my PSE it was ... forced into grey?? I am not sure why, and would appreciate any helps to get it back to color. I was going over on her other photo with the eye dropper, and it was picking the color, but then when I would paint on my regular window it would only go in grey. I am soooo confused. New to PSE as well... So.. yeah, help would be awesome. lol.

Since I didn't get to do color. I did a quick black and white, it's not fully rendered, but I thought it looked really neat. I may go back through and try to render it some more. I am new to digi painting and thought this would be fun.

Name:  marlo progress1 800px.png
Views: 149
Size:  93.2 KB
    Name:  marlo progress2 B&W.png
Views: 146
Size:  97.1 KB

reference photo from this post.

Last edited by AdrienneRose; January 13th, 2013 at 07:14 AM. Reason: reference links
    -AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job on capturing the expression. I wouldn't feel bad about feeling overwhelmed with painting also. I do as well. Every good artist I've heard who's given advice on the subject has told me to try and master value and traditional mediums first before trying to transition into color. I probably got into it before I should've.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Beartankmaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I quite like that last post, you seemed to capture the expression and lighting quite well =]. You're not the only one who is confused with PS, I am too, but we will get their someday, just one step at a time ^^

I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook

32. The Following User Says Thank You to V3T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomy View Post
    Nice job on capturing the expression. I wouldn't feel bad about feeling overwhelmed with painting also. I do as well. Every good artist I've heard who's given advice on the subject has told me to try and master value and traditional mediums first before trying to transition into color. I probably got into it before I should've.
    Thanks for stopping by Dichotomy! You know, I understand that it's best to learn things first traditionally, but... What if you don't really want to work traditionally? Is it... best to do it that way then? Just a random thought that goes through my head...

I think it is great to delve into something when you're really wanting to learn it! When you're having the passion.

Quote Originally Posted by V3T View Post
    I quite like that last post, you seemed to capture the expression and lighting quite well =]. You're not the only one who is confused with PS, I am too, but we will get their someday, just one step at a time ^^
    Thank you V3T! I appreciate you stopping by! I worked some more on it this morning. I think it's coming along quite nicely!

Name:  marlo progress3 B&W.png
Views: 153
Size:  102.2 KB

I do notice some things now that I need to fix. Her face is much to wide. That is the only thing I really notice right now, so I will work on that next time!

PS. I can't wait to make a gif movie thing out of this. LMAO. So I am trying to save lots of steps, because I really find it nice to see that process on other people's sketchbooks! *exciting*

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! There are some really good studies here. The last portrait is great.
    Looking at your work I realized one aspect that could be improved on. Some of your drawings are lacking strong construction and that takes away from their 3 dimensionality and overall form. I think what has helped me a lot to grasp this is drawing using basic shapes( sphere, cube, cylinder and pyramid/cone.) Once you master drawing those in any angle, your drawings will start to leap out of the page. I would recommend taking a look at Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing book to to see the way he uses construction.

Your hard work is paying off. Hoping to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's coming out great! Good job so far. Keep going! You and Dichotomy both made me want to undertake some value studies, but I failed miserably and got scared away haha.

Sketchbook -- Any feedback helps!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast