Sketchbook: Aliciane wants to improve
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Aliciane wants to improve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Aliciane wants to improve

Hello everyone

Like a lot of people, I've been watching and reading this website for a long time, but I was always too shy to register and post. I'm gathering my small amount of courage in order to start a sketchbook here. I know that there are already so much threads in this website, therefore I do not expect people to have a lot of time to specifically give me advice ^^ (but hey, don't hesitate if you have something to say !)
    However the simple fact of having a public thread for that is motivating, in my opinion. And by simply browsing and reading other people's threads, I've already learnt so much things

I'll introduce myself a bit. I'm French and I'm 22. I'm an amateur, I'm entirely self-taught as my studies have really nothing to do with art. This means I don't have as much time as I would want to practice, but also that I've got no delay to reach the level I want to have, since I don't need to enter a specific school or so. I hope you have nothing against amateur people, since there are a lot of professionals here, I would not want to seem displaced :s

However, being self-taught also means that I've learnt in a bit of random order, and I realized recently that I lacked several things related to basics that I would like to correct. Anatomy, perspective, composition, light, edges, almost everything I think >< Especially because I'm a bit "perfectionist" and I used to spend really too much time on each piece, instead of doing several sketches, studies, that would have teach me more.

For you to know the resources I'm currently studying are :
    - Loomis' Books (Currently reading "Head & Hands", will then move to "Figure Drawing" & "Successful Drawing")
    - Jack Hamm's "Drawing Scenery"
    - James Gurney's "Imaginative Realism"

These days I've mainly practised Heads & portraits, so here are a few sketches related :

These are heads copied from Loomis (or Proko's channel, that I find being a very good additive to the book itself)
    Name:  Heads1.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  196.0 KB
    I know just copying Loomis' drawing is not the aim of the method, but I'm seeing it as a starting point before moving on to sketches from photos or from life. I hope it's not too wrong

These three are from photographs, they are supposed to be the same girl :/ and damned, open smiles are awfully difficult, I really need to study this more. Of course if you want to see one of the references, just ask
    Name:  Heads2.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  209.9 KB

This one was supposed to end being coloured. I wanted to do a more "finished" portrait, and I wanted to start in black and white first before colouring using different layer modes. Last time I tried this method, it was a complete failure... and this one too ! I feel really unable to choose the right colours this way. So I'm leaving it in black and white while waiting for having the courage of repainting it entirely.
    Name:  Mia.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  120.6 KB
    By the way if you see any major flaw in this drawing, since I'll have to repaint in directly in colours, could be of use not to repeat the same mistakes

And finally, being very frustrated with this colouring problem, I needed to do some stuff with colours, so I made this quick Sargent study :
    Name:  Alice - Copy.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  95.3 KB

Eventually, being used to learn all by myself, I've decided of what I should work on, learn, study, and so on as I could, but I've probably missed some of my weaknesses or haven't even thought about some useful exercise. So if you have time to browse my gallery and point me some additional / specific weakness I would need to work on, don't hesitate

Hope I won't be too shy to post on other threads now :o

(English isn't my native language so please excuse my mistakes ,_,)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some update, still studying Loomis's "Drawing the Head and Hands"

A silly perspective exercise, I was obsessed with how to report length from one direction to another as well as how to measure rotation angle. It's a bit distorted because I made my cube too big compared to my vanishing point's scale.
    Name:  CubeRotation.gif
Views: 258
Size:  42.9 KB

A quick (failed) Sargent study :
    Name:  Mrs Inches - Copy.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  89.2 KB

Then I tried to learn about the face's muscles (from Loomis's sketches)
    Name:  Heads4.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  116.9 KB

Time to study lips (mainly from Loomis's sketches and Proko's channel)
    Name:  Lips1.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  88.7 KB

Another lip study, trying to follow Enayla's tutorial (Upper image is Enayla's, lower is mine)
    Name:  Lips2.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  47.0 KB

And a finished portrait where I failed the hair because I went over the top with the strands too early
    Name:  Jenna.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  80.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update, I need to do more of these small studies, at least one per day would be good.

Another Sargent study :
    Name:  Miss Dorothy - Copy.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  99.4 KB

And two real life studies of daily objects :
    Name:  Spoon.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  Bowl.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  40.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another too small update. Eyes and noses studies, from photographs, Loomis & Proko.

Name:  Eyes1.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  110.8 KB
    Name:  Noses1.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  105.8 KB

Should really update more often, I feel so unproductive when I look at the small amount of sketches I do :/
    Guess I'm still focusing too much on my main paintings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had to do a little break from anatomy. I decided to fight against my biggest enemy : vegetation (especially trees). The fight is gonna be quite long. After a failed attempt at a study from photograph, I searched for resources on the subject and went for On Drawing Trees and Nature by author J. D. Harding.

I'm still reading the book, these are just the first sketches I did, there's still a lot of work in perspective... The first one is somewhat inspired by one of the book's illustrations while the others two are for pure imagination.

Name:  Trees1c.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  108.4 KB

My main self-critics would be the following, even if all the remarks could be applied to each drawing :
    Tree A : Lack of skyholes and patches. The foliage is too dense and look like pillows rather than leaves.
    Tree B : Trunk and branches are awfully flat and unnatural
    Tree C : My favourite. Better than the others but the overall shape do not read well. It lacks a coherent inner structure.

I hope I'll be able to solve these issues in my next studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moaaar trees study of the book still on going.

Name:  Trees2c.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  118.3 KB

I've also bought myself a small mirror that I've put on my desk. Now I can study faces from life without brothering my relatives \o/

So here is my eye, evening with artificial light :
    Name:  Eyes2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  31.6 KB

And my lips, noon with sunlight through window :
    Name:  Lips3.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  20.6 KB

I'm not satisfied with the "integration" of those features :/
    I find the surrounding volumes weird, but have troubles correcting them. I hope it'll be easier to spot the mistakes when I'll make an entire self-portrait, because of the more "global" view... If not, then I'll have to study more those volumes

However I'm satisfied with the colours, looks a lot like my skin.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.