How specific should my art focus be?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How specific should my art focus be?

To this point I've put most of my focus on creature and character design. This is really the area I'm most interested in, but I've been improving my ability to do backgrounds and architectural designs (and by improving I mean VERY incrementally, I've got a ton of work to do there). I've heard that when submitting a portfolio, you should have it be focused on a specific area of talent, rather than showing the entire spectrum of your ability. Obviously, I'd like to be strong in all areas, but for now should I just refine the area that I'm already strongest in?

"You didn't come into this world, you came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are no stranger here" - Alan Watts

My sketchbook
    My DA Page
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is online now Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,889 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Seems your focus is too myopic to me. Why would you not develop your skills holistically instead of in isolated pieces? I would focus on representing light and shadow and interesting poses/ compositions for your images. Make them immersive which may include background vignettes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback! I feel like being able to render interesting environments is a vital part of learning to draw and paint, I was just wondering if putting focus in that area right now might hinder me in other areas. I do feel like I'm missing something in not being able to reliably design backgrounds.

"You didn't come into this world, you came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are no stranger here" - Alan Watts

My sketchbook
    My DA Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Instead of thinking of it as character drawing - architectural drawing -- just focus on learning fundamental - universal drawing skills.
    Perspective, proportion, form, lighting, colour theory, & composition are universal - they apply to drawing anything. If your strong in these you can do anatomy studies effectively to improve your figure drawings- or you can do studies of insects, mechanical things, architecture to improve your visual library.

Doing architectural studies have improved my figure drawings, just because it's enforced a better understanding of perspective on me. Learning to draw better in general will never hinder you in some other aspect of drawing. You wont get worse at figures if you draw a few buildings or vice versa. In fact, having a solid library of different textures, anatomies, and mechanical work can only improve your character designs, and give you a broader range of coolness.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't think in terms of characters and backgrounds, think in terms of scenes and pictures. What story are you trying to tell? What elements do you need to tel that story?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.