Building my portfolio for SCAD
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Building my portfolio for SCAD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Building my portfolio for SCAD

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum (just created my account today) and I'm seeking advice for my current portfolio which is still a work in progress. I'm a senior and high school and have been recently accepted into SCAD. The requirements are 10-20 pieces of artwork and my goal is to produce at least 15 strong pieces. Is there anything here that I should eliminate from my portfolio that would detract from the quality? SCAD doesn't require a portfolio, but I'm submitting one for a chance at the artistic scholarships. I've received a $10,000 Academic scholarship, but need as much money as I can receive to pay for school since it's so expensive. I believe submitting at least 15 pieces will give me a better chance at receiving a higher scholarship. I know there are several things I need to improve on and I admit that I'm a bit nervous about posting on this forum, haha.

NOTE: The "eyeball hallway" piece is still WIP. I'm also iffy about adding the last piece in my portfolio since it resembles anime.

Attached Images Attached Images                            
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    IMHO you show great potential. You have a variety of ideas, show a variety of media and a decent mix of both imaginative work and work from life. I would maybe take out the dreamcatcher/spider piece and the banana/shape color assignment. If you want to replace them I would do so with one still life from observation that is as realistic as possible and another piece from imagination that maybe says something about yourself and your own life, goals, connection to art, etc. In other words a piece that really represents "you" and maybe ties the whole portfolio together. Don't be afraid to do something really different and unique...you don't just want to show that you can draw and have fun ideas...you want whoever is reviewing this to go "Wow!..." and to show that you are head and shoulders above most others at this stage. Good luck!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the kind advice! The banana and spider pieces weren't my favorite either. I'll take your advice about drawing a couple realistic observational pieces. Would something like a highly detailed portrait of a person or landscape suffice, or do you mean more technical drawings (such as a figure drawing)? I've heard that most scholarships that SCAD offers is first come first serve so I want to produce high quality pieces, but also not rush while creating them.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well - I would only do one additional observation piece and one personally themed imaginitive piece myself - something that really stands out, not so much for technique but the idea behind it. Observation-wise I would do an interesting still life...show something interesting in it - like cropping, texture, theme, etc. Look at a bunch of notable still life work for ideas. For the imaginitive/personal piece it can be fun to do a self-portrait...but make it one where you don't actually include your own image...so defining yourself with 5-7 things that work together to say something about you...it can be structured or composed in an imaginitive space though - not just like another still life of your stuff. Just an idea.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1