Best Art Program for Me?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Best Art Program for Me?

Hi!

I love digital art media and am looking for a program to use for drawing/painting digitally. Originally, I had looked at Adobe Photoshop but the newest versions (~ $600) are not in my budget and it seems difficult to get hands on an authentic older version. For the past year or two I have been using Paint Tool Sai, but I'm not quite sure if it's the best program out there for me. Therefore, I'm checking out some others.

It wouldn't be for personal use (nothing commercial) and maybe for some portfolio pieces (i'm applying to art school for 2013).

So far I've looked at:
    Corel Painter 12 ($300)
    Artrage Studio ($20)

All opinions are welcome,
    Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You realize that most of these programs allow you to use them in trial?

Find them and try them in trial mode. Most are fully functional for a certain amount of days.
    I don't know how you paint, I don't know your workflow so try them in trial mode and find out what works best for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mypaint is nice, gimp is nice, those are free and pretty small so it's no big deal to try them out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try Krita too !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffonage
    Try Krita too !
    Unfortunately Krita is not very stable on Windows yet. It's an "experimental" version after all. Definitely not ready for production use. You wouldn't want to see the program hang up or crash just before saving your work.

MyPaint works great for drawing/sketching though, and I suggest using it. I use it a lot myself.
    The current version of this program is 1.0. Version 1.1 supposedly coming within 2 months of time will add some functions and fix bugs, but will still remain an artist-oriented tool (meaning minimal interface, no selection tools, no special filters).

GIMP can be considered the Photoshop equivalent, however on Windows you should stay away from 2.8x versions for now. It's got some breaking bugs and the interface is still unpolished. Use 2.6x versions instead. With a plugin it can open .ora files made with MyPaint.

Art programs are seldom meant to be used alone. They are best used together with more complete (but less art-oriented) image editing software for adjustments and final touches. This being said, If you already have Paint Tool SAI that's fine. If anything, it's among the best programs you could use for drawing and painting (yes, on these very two aspects it does beat Photoshop, which is really not meant for that use). Nothing prevents you from using GIMP for the finishing touches (just remember to save in .psd format instead of .sai or GIMP won't be able to open those files).

If you want a free-software workflow, MyPaint+GIMP is a valid combination too.

Last edited by s12a; December 30th, 2012 at 04:46 AM.

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you're applying to an art school, they might like artrage's nifty oil paint as one or two of your pieces,
    but given most art-schools prefer traditional media, I'd vote for freeware at this point.
    you can purchase cheaper student licences of photoshop and painter for a fraction of full retail price when you get in,
    and I'm not sure if your school is digital-friendly too.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

maybe this could be interesting for you:
    http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Adobe let you donwload older versions for free. In fact you should own an license, but I don't think that Adobe expected that really from all users when they offer a possibility to download their software.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And if you want something with great touch response take a look at Sketchbook Pro 2013. Older versions have the same stylus sensitivity but the latest version has more painterly tools on board than before. It's another cheaper software too. There is a 15 day fully functional free trial to get your digital teeth into. But the workflow is the thing for me. You can just paint away with minimal distraction because of floating 'pucks' and some easy to remember keyboard shortcuts.
    http://www.autodesk.co.uk/adsk/servl...32&id=20421693
    Look up Bobby Chiu's run through of how he painted the box cover too. It's on his Schoolism site.

__________________________________________________ __________

Nick Harris illustration http://nickillus.com/ SKETCHBOOK GALLERY
    __________________________________________________ __________

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try Black Ink if you have a good GPU.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you can try SpeedyPainter, it is free and does not need installation.
    The software is very simple, it doesn't offer advanced features, but I think it can be a good start for someone who is approaching to the field of digital art.
    You can take a look at it here:
    speedypainter.altervista.org
    hope this helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you could try Manga Studio 5(http://manga.smithmicro.com/mangastudio5) ;It's totally diiferent from it's previous versions (in fact it's a translation of a very good japanese painter program-clip studio paint-). Don't let the title mislead you, it is not just only for creating manga an costs just 80$

12. The Following User Says Thank You to caosfirst For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 7