Sketchbook: DUI (Drawing Under the Influence) and other Drawing Offenses

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

DUI (Drawing Under the Influence) and other Drawing Offenses

Hello CA Forum Community!

I'm angieb. I graduated with a BA many-a-year ago, and (sadly) slowly let my artistic ambitions disintegrate. In the last ten months, or so, I've happened to pick up a sketchbook again, and I've taken to drawing while enjoying a few beverages in some of my favorite bars. I've been doing it for entertainment and enjoyment only: No Pressure. Last weekend, I stumbled upon your amazing community. All of the incredible work shared, tangible improvements shown, and the spirit of assistance have been nothing short of inspirational! I've realized that the lack of community in my own life, in regards to building a strong art-related-work-ethic, had contributed to my progress-stall-out. I'd love to join in here! It feels like I've found a place where it's okay to start back with a beginner's mindset.

Please find below a drawing I created while on vacation in September. It was my first trip out of the States, and a newly bought sketchbook was my only companion.
    Thank you so much for stopping in and looking at my drawings! I look forward to comments and critiques (and hopeful for my own growth)!

Name:  THUMBNAIL.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  88.0 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drink Drawing and my first constructive Studies in Years!

Okay, so, I'd like to share what it is I've been doing up to this point this year (not all of it, of course, just a sampling )

Here are some of the best (my favorite, that is) pieces from my travel journal:

Name:  Ireland-Journal-Compsosite.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  421.6 KBName:  Ireland-Journal-Compsosite2.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  447.7 KBName:  Ireland-Journal-PUB-web.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  240.2 KB

These are some of my recent "Drink Drawings."

Name:  Drink-Draw-1-web.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  64.3 KBName:  Drink-Draw-Composite-Web.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  295.5 KB

And finally (drum-roll, please) my first study drawings in years, that I did while at work this weekend. These are referenced from the 1954 Famous Artist's Course and Louise Gordon's How to Draw the Human Figure.

Name:  Sketch-Post-1-web.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  54.1 KB
    Name:  Sketch-Post-2-web.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  104.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The mannequin studies are excellent. Are they from a book or an actual mannequin?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Koron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi, Koron!

Yeah, these are the studies made from the Famous Artist Course (1954). Here are some of the pages that I was working from. These books (binders, really) are fantastic. I'd been able to get my hands on some through Ebay. I've thought in the past that maybe I could work my way through the entire program, devoting a few weeks per chapter, as if I were in school. There are 24 chapters in all. I've not stuck with it, though. Maybe 2013 is the year.....

Name:  Artist-Course-Ch3.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  294.8 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to angieb. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome to CA! It's great that after all this time you've decided to get back into drawing. It seems this happens to so many of us, but it's never too late to get at it again. So keep posting and I look forward to seeing more from you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, I really like your mannequin studies as well as the lines in your sketches. Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Skull / Head Study

Hello, all.
    @ Woolichooks - Thank you! I intend to do many more mannequin studies from the examples given, and then start to try to make my own.

Today, I drew the first skull pict. from Louise Gordon's book along with the head picture that accompanies it. Subtle pencil shading is not may forte, I've realized.

Name:  Sketch-Post-3-web.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  43.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mannequin proportions from last night, and the start of a torso/pelvis study from today. Name:  Sketch-Post-4-web.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  73.3 KBName:  Sketch-Post-4b.web.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  18.3 KB

I'm not so much feeling it today, though. Maybe I'll finish this tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

12-28-2012 Drink Drawings

Name:  Sketch-Post-5.Composite-web.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  156.3 KB

This I drew this morning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey angie, nice to see you picked up drawing again!
    Sometimes life gets in the way of things, and expressions of the soul, be it music, or drawing or whatnot,
    get put on the shelves of memory and reside there for a while.
    But what would the world be without art ("eh" would be an answer)

I'm very glad that you found your artistic voice again. May it reverberate throughout the universe and make our
    world a little more you.

Good stuff to start on anatomy, keep on going. Not much to crit, just have at it really.
    And you'll find this community has much and more to offer,
    from technical issues of drawing to motivation and determination,
    but most of all it's a very inspirational site. Keep it up!

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Harmageddon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the pen and marker pub drawings - there's something about solid live sketches that really hold the life of a place & pubs have such a great atmosphere.
    more please!

Happy sketching!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Rhubix totally agree, would love to see how your lines look with pen and marker.
    Harmagedon kind words from your input device, will check your stuff too.

The Sketchbook here is amazing good start, I also like the size you post, never go over
    1200pix thou. I love marker and pen but I should make it more. Love the life in your
    sketches, drop by my one when you got some new stuff. Good to have you around,
    its very inspiering what I see.

Sketchbook - . Show Real - . Commission me- Online Shop - .

*critique* advice* help full links* paint overs, highly appreciated !

Submissions accepted;"DRAW THE CHANGE you want to see in the WORLD!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll have to agree with Rhubix as well. Love the marker/pen work, the colours really help bring it together. Keep posting!

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, All!
    Hope the New Year meets everyone with renewed inspiration! Thank you, everyone who commented on this thread; it really is great to get to 'talk' drawing and art again!

@ Harmageddon - Thank you for the kind words! I agree with you - just a little time here can be at CA.org can be a ton of inspiration!
    @ Rhubix - I like drawing at the pubs 'cause after I've had a few, I'm not fussy about what gets scrawled on the page, leaving plenty of room for happy accidents . I hope to get more "solid" with my live sketches, though. But if not, at least they're still fun.
    @ iven - Yeah, I'm a bit confused about the size of the images... they look perfectly fine at home, but when I go to work, some of them are HUGE. I guess it has something to do with the resolution of each terminal's screen? Or maybe the web browser?
    @ Keeptime - I like colors, but I certainly don't feel comfortable with them. In the past, I've generally just used different colors for line work to separate out different subjects that overlap on a sketchbook page (and to add a little visual interest for myself). I've not used them much for actual coloring or shading, and I find that I'm shocked at how much better a black line sketch looks with a little gray brush-marker thrown on top. I fear that using the colors to separate areas or as shading has the ability to mask poor drawing. Meh, I guess as long as the end result is fun to look at it doesn't matter....

About six months ago, I read a book by Julia Cameron that suggests writing "Morning Pages." These were to be 3 pages of long-hand writing on 'whatever' done every morning to help fuel creativity. I figured that the technique could be translated to a daily sketch... just to keep the pencil moving. Given I was so out of practice, and idea-less, I'd decided to go back to what I used to enjoy as a youngster- drawing from comics and reference. I figured, as long as no one saw it, it didn't matter if it was copied or unoriginal (or a common pass time for people half-my-age). So, I keep this 18" x 24" Sketchpad on my drafting table, and try to do a sketch each day. I've managed about one a week, I think, so I'm hardly consistent with "My Daily Sketch," but, I must say, it feels great to walk past it every day and see something new. This is what it's looking like this morning:
    Name:  Sketch-Post-6.web.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  65.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep up the studies and thank you very much for #4

I draw on paper I stole from school.

sketchbook | deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving how loose and lively your sketchwork is!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice sketches, especially with pen and markers! I hope you will post more of them soon. Maybe you can try to play with warm and cold gray markers it's really fun! For example you can use cold for background and static objects and warm for moving objects, characters etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your travel journal is impressive ! I really love your line !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1.14-15.2013 Drink Drawings

Quick Post before running out to work:

Name:  Sketch-Post-7a.web.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  279.5 KBName:  Sketch-Post-7b.web.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  216.3 KB

twelvex - My pleasure!
    ClockworkLives - the drink helps .
    AMClassmate - Thanks for the suggestion with the warm and cool markers! I'll have to pick up some variety at the art store sometime soon.
    Spideycreed - Thank you! I am grateful to have made it when I was there - I recommend it to anyone, regardless of if they draw normally.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two Brush-Tip Marker Sketches of friends and a few pencil sketches of people in the subway.

Name:  Sketch-Post-8a.web.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  119.2 KBName:  Sketch-Post-8b.web.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  95.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff! This makes me want to get a couple of brush pens to play with! I dont like the stiffness of markers; I think brush pen is a great alternative to use for shading in big spaces!

Keep posting! Its good to see youre not afraid to go out and draw people from life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, those two brush marker sketches looks great. And I think it's definitely the best style for those type of sketches so far!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving your bar work!! I think that's such a fun idea! I hope to find some people in my area to do bar sketching with!! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!! I can't wait to see more of your works!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool ink sketches they have a very gestural feel to them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have picked this up very quickly! All your sketches seem to have a lovely composition about them. Something which I always struggle with when drawing in pubs and bars. Love it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Evening!

sytrex - Thanks for stopping in - I think your live on-locale sketching leaves mine in the dust! I'm anxiously awaiting another update on your sketchbook!

Classmate - Yes - those were done sober - It's so much easier to draw people when they're your friends and are all like, "Here, let me grab my phone so I can sit still for you while you draw."

AdrienneRose - Yeah, drawing in the bar is great - I highly recommend it! Depending on how saucy you get, you may be surprised at what you're left with the next day! I tend to go in alone, say "Hey," to regulars I've met if they're in, and if no stirring conversation ensues, pull out the ol' sketchbook. It keeps the night interesting! And sometimes leads to conversations on its own.

GrayPersona - Yeah - it's been forever since I've done life-drawing sessions (2, 2 1/2 years maybe?). I miss doing the gesture-line and simple construction. With marker, I wouldn't know how to get around the construction lines once I'd put them down, in order to get get topical details added without everything becoming a mess... I've thought of doing, like, pencil construction lines or gestures first... but have found that, at the bar at least, you only get a few moments until people shift their weight, or turn away, or whatever, and if I want the drawings to look even vaguely like humans, i better just draw what I see... now! heh. I should really spend some time at, like, waiting rooms or coffee shops or something... where people have the decency to stand still ! Bonus is, once your subject has moved, no one can come along and say how poor the likeness is!

Theo Mack - That's kind of you to say! I'm leaving out the tons of pages that are all floating lines (cheeks) or disembodied hands and other random scribbles. I remember a professor telling us years ago that, as we work, we should always be considering composition, even for quick sketchbook pages. (I think the assignment had to do with filling 10 pages in a sketchbook each week, in fact... funny how that seemed like work back then, and now it's all play...) I don't think I really manage the composition-bit, but, thinking of it now, I do tend to layer items on a page with different color inks, 'cause it makes it easier to tell what's-what, and I end up liking the way that it looks... I wonder if it's all related?

Well, here's a quick bit of what I did last evening. Straight marker this time (no brush) 'cause it's what I happened to grab. Hop you like it:

Name:  Sketch-Post-9.web.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  313.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, whats up? Looking forward to see some new stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a quick thing that I did earlier this morning.
    Hoping to get some time to work on the P.O.W challenge before the deadline... don't know if that'll happen, though...

Name:  Sketch-Post-11.web.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  84.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Everyone!

Below are two quick sketches I did this afternoon.

Name:  Sketch-Post-12a.web.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  217.3 KBName:  Sketch-Post-12b.web.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  104.6 KB

And this is what my over-sized sketch-pad is looking like these days. These are both 15 minute copies from "How to Draw Comics" books. They're fun

Name:  Sketch-Post-12c.web.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  163.9 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 47