Hobbit fanart--crit please
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hobbit fanart--crit please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hobbit fanart--crit please

Hello,

I used a bunch of references to make this (Thorin Oakenshield fanart, squeeeeeee). I've never worked on a painting for this long, so I'm not sure where to go from here. The colors and lighting don't really satisfy me. Oh, and the sword. If anyone would like to give this a fresh lookover, I would greatly appreciate a critique (on anything!) Thank you in advance!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Boooo no tree shield. Booo.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^Heh.

I like this. You've caught his likeness pretty well. I agree though that the light and colour are a bit flat. And it could probably benefit from a bit more in the way of shadow areas, so figure out where the light is coming from (looks like top right going by his face and hands) and place your shadows and bright spots accordingly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys
    OmenSpirits> I know, I know. I'll add it later. (:
    Candra H> Thank you! I will try to make it more 3D. I'm always afraid of adding too much contrast.
    FoodTeaArt> Ha, you just reminded me that I own an actual sword. Derp derp. I'll try using different light sources and making some studies. I think the head is supposed to be partially angled down, but I'll take another look at the arms.
    Hopefully I'll have an update soon, thank you again!

Last edited by Black Spot; 18 Hours Ago at 03:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys
    OmenSpirits> I know, I know. I'll add it later. (:
    Candra H> Thank you! I will try to make it more 3D. I'm always afraid of adding too much contrast.
    FoodTeaArt> Ha, you just reminded me that I own an actual sword. Derp derp. I'll try using different light sources and making some studies. I think the head is supposed to be partially angled down, but I'll take another look at the arms.
    Hopefully I'll have an update soon, thank you again!

Last edited by Black Spot; 18 Hours Ago at 03:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Might just be me, but the position of the hilt of the sword seems a tad bit tilted.

Neato stuff though, I have yet to see the movie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Might just be me, but the position of the hilt of the sword seems a tad bit tilted.

Neato stuff though, I have yet to see the movie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's he stabbing? A heart? I think that draws more attention to the bottom of the image than you want. Besides that, I don't really know what's going on. His face looks at rest, but his body isn't as clear. It's not really active enough to suggest he's actively stabbing something, but not enough at ease to show he's just resting. Do you have any reference for the pose?

Other than that, I wouldn't focus so much on details like the eyes until you've brought more work to the rest of the scene.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    right now, looking at it I can't really see how he fits together properly. His torso seems to be at aweid place to his lower body, his legs are angled oddly for balance, he kinda looks like he needs to be standing at a rather sharp downslope to pull that positioning off with his knee, foot and sword tip, and his left arm is.. where? It looks awfully short and his hand is angled very abruplty to where his lower arm seems to be facing.

I'm definitely no expert, but one thing I picked up on while drawing a model for the first time was how bad i was at actually understanding perspective in figure drawing and placing the feet and body in a 3-dimensional space. The same thing seems to be happening here.

also, try drawing the hilt of the swords as if the hands gripping it were see-through. Does it line up?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    right now, looking at it I can't really see how he fits together properly. His torso seems to be at aweid place to his lower body, his legs are angled oddly for balance, he kinda looks like he needs to be standing at a rather sharp downslope to pull that positioning off with his knee, foot and sword tip, and his left arm is.. where? It looks awfully short and his hand is angled very abruplty to where his lower arm seems to be facing.

I'm definitely no expert, but one thing I picked up on while drawing a model for the first time was how bad i was at actually understanding perspective in figure drawing and placing the feet and body in a 3-dimensional space. The same thing seems to be happening here.

also, try drawing the hilt of the swords as if the hands gripping it were see-through. Does it line up?

Members who have read this thread: 3