Whats the best way to teach the fundamentals?And what were your favorite assignments?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Whats the best way to teach the fundamentals?And what were your favorite assignments?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Whats the best way to teach the fundamentals?And what were your favorite assignments?

I recently got a job teaching at an Art and Design College and as part of the job I am required to create a class outline. I was given the job because of my skills as an artist, not as a teacher, and now I'm starting to realize that there is another artform to creating and managing a class. So I'd love to hear from anyone who studied at a similar school what their favorite assignments were at the foundation level (1st year).

I'd love to hear about lessons and assignments which pertain to the following.

Perspective:

Thumbnail Sketching:

Composition:

Personification:

Character Design:

Industrial Design:

Drawing Foliage:

Storyboarding:

and anything else you think should be covered during the first year.

Please feel free to share your experiences of your first year program you attended and what worked and what didn't.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Classes just bogged down by lectures were never the best. I understand there are things to teach but I always learned better doing. This is art afterall. So a quick 10-15min run down and then an activity involving the skills overviewed worked best. the teacher rotating the class, checking on our work and giving us points always produce the best result.

Perspective was taught best my drawing multiple boxes in the center of the class.

My professor also took us to a park where we drew trees and the likes for the whole class. really fun.

I think your best option is just to try and link em, alot of these skills overlap. character design and storyboarding can easily become one large assignment.

Which school do you mind if I ask?

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the best instruction is showing them how things are drawn, followed by q&a during or right after the demonstration
    I'm not sure extra lecturing will benefit anyone trying to render foliage convincingly more than a few hours of actually drawing/painting it outside.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Demonstrations + any lectures on relevant info (30 mins max) -> students try to do what you did -> you correct the students on what they did wrong -> repeat

A majority of what I learned was from watching my teachers and fellow students work, trying things out, having them corrected, watching more, trying again, and over the next weeks eventually succeeding at certain aspects.

From personal opinion, it's best to keep classes informal, where students have the liberty of watching you work alongside them, and ask questions at any time. Be a mentor not a 'professor'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just graduated from a school that runs under the assumption that good artists are good teachers. Unfortunately, I have met some sad counter-examples, experienced artists that should never have been left even close to a student.

I have no experience as an art teacher, although I taught mathematics for a while.
    In my not so humble opinion, your most important task will be to motivate, and to inspire.

Having said this, I wish you all the luck in the world, and wisdom to bring this job to a good end.

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just graduated from a school that runs under the assumption that good artists are good teachers. Unfortunately, I have met some sad counter-examples, experienced artists that should never have been left even close to a student.

I have no experience as an art teacher, although I taught mathematics for a while.
    In my not so humble opinion, your most important task will be to motivate, and to inspire.

Having said this, I wish you all the luck in the world, and wisdom to bring this job to a good end.

Grinnikend door het leven...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.