Artist cheating clients out of money. - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Is it fair for an artist to rise their rates just cause a client has a higher budget?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 66.67%
  • No

    2 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 49 of 49

Thread: Artist cheating clients out of money.

  1. #31
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I'm just trying to figure out why it's everyone's business?

     

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


  3. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 122 Times in 85 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    The guy or gal could probably earn more than 20 bucks carol signing over next couple of nights.

    Learning to see

    "...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang
     

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I was asking thoughts on it but it seems as though I didn't word it correctly and other points are being discussed. I hardly see it as trying to make it everyone's business when I've seen lots of threads of discussions..It's not like I'm single anyone out in particular. (I'm not even involve in their job offer what so ever, I just wanted to know CA's thought)

     

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    @ charlie D.

    Yea they prob could but a lot of newer artist seem pretty eager to jump out there into the field before they are ready lmao

     

  6. #35
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Azu View Post
    Thats backwards actually. It's more like some guy saying he has $100 and wants to buy a backpack, and some dude offers his shitty beat up torn backpack for $25. Then everyone else rages at him for not charging $100.

    But the original questions was if he should have risen his price, not if he should have applied.
    I think the real question is if it's any of your damn business.

     

  7. #36
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,167
    Thanks
    751
    Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Man, this sure takes me back to approved vendor lists and service contracts.

    If you think some guy charging a few more dollars for an artwork is ripping people off, you'd be pretty appalled at what big corporations do once they have you over a barrel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Thorns
    It's like if I drew stick figures my rate should be lower than other more experiences artist.
    Nonsense. Your rates should be *whatever your audience is willing to pay*. That's capitalism, right? Supply and demand? Now, for the most part the demand for stick-men is pretty low, so you aren't going to convince very many people to buy them, even at a low price. But value is not necessarily constant. If you're famous, for example, or build a brand on amusing stick-men then you'll be able to sell them for much higher than you normally would.

    Edit: Obviously if you change your price halfway then the client is going to go "psssh no, you wanker". But there's absolutely no reason why you can't ask for whatever price you want initially, because the client knows how to say "no".

    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

    "There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki
     

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:


  9. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I think the real question is if it's any of your damn business.
    Uh... I'm discussing the morality of it.. I really don't even care who OP was referring to. This entire post really seems to be about morals and peoples opinion on it, not "look at this person! *link* tell me what you think about this guy in particular!" No one is targeting anyone's business. That's like someone asking CA about a clients questionable behavior, and everyone replying "Its none of our business" whenever someone is just trying to have a discussion.

     

  10. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Man, this sure takes me back to approved vendor lists and service contracts.

    If you think some guy charging a few more dollars for an artwork is ripping people off, you'd be pretty appalled at what big corporations do once they have you over a barrel.



    Nonsense. Your rates should be *whatever your audience is willing to pay*. That's capitalism, right? Supply and demand? Now, for the most part the demand for stick-men is pretty low, so you aren't going to convince very many people to buy them, even at a low price. But value is not necessarily constant. If you're famous, for example, or build a brand on amusing stick-men then you'll be able to sell them for much higher than you normally would.
    Thats a corp though. Lets say you charge $50 for a drawing. Would you charge an average joe who is interested in purchasing art $200 because that's how much money he has?

     

  11. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 122 Times in 85 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Thorns View Post
    @ charlie D.

    Yea they prob could but a lot of newer artist seem pretty eager to jump out there into the field before they are ready lmao
    The prob is not them jumping out, the prob is them being clueless about the costs involved in drawing stick men for a living.

    Learning to see

    "...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang
     

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie D For This Useful Post:


  13. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I think the real question is if it's any of your damn business.
    Wow...This isn't some closed off discussion. No need to be rude. Just people giving their thoughts on the varies points


    @Vineris

    Yea that's true with big corporations but when you do that on DA you aren't getting back at the companies who are fucking over artist. You are fucking over some random Joe who is just wanted some fanart of his OC. I can understand your side though I still think it's wrong for a artist to go up to some client who has a budget on $100 then decides to rise his price to 100 vs an client saying I can pay you 100 and the artist agreeing. If the client is offering to give you more, cool. But if you are purposely jacking up your prices trying to take all his money it really seems kind of low to do. (In terms of it's a normal person just looking for art. Of course if it's a company I could see it differently.)

     

  14. #41
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Azu View Post
    Uh... I'm discussing the morality of it.. I really don't even care who OP was referring to. This entire post really seems to be about morals and peoples opinion on it, not "look at this person! *link* tell me what you think about this guy in particular!" No one is targeting anyone's business. That's like someone asking CA about a clients questionable behavior, and everyone replying "Its none of our business" whenever someone is just trying to have a discussion.
    Morality? It's a business.

    They're not posting up hookers and blow and putting people out of homes. You're over here starting up a poll about a person who shouldn't have applied in the first place. The answer is it's up to the client as to whether or not they will hire him or her, and what that client will pay is none of our fucking business if they charge more.

    Their qualifications are determined by the person hiring. Not the public.

    That's like whether or not we should involve ourselves in the hiring process of a kid applying for any other job he/she is not qualified for.

    Exactly what consumer protection is this thread about? The client can make the final decision. A client can terminate the agreement especially if they're supposed to negotiate in the first place. So what is the point of this morality? What is the point of coming over and bugging CA about it? It's a problem on DA, then address the problem on Deviant Art!

     

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


  16. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
    The prob is not them jumping out, the prob is them being clueless about the costs involved in drawing stick men for a living.
    This is bit off point but I think you are right that some of them probably really are just clueless , but I'm sure some of them really do just do it for fun (I know on DA a LOT of people are underage so making a living off their art prob doesn't cross their mind...Yet.)

     

  17. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Morality? It's a business.

    They're not posting up hookers and blow and putting people out of homes. You're over here starting up a poll about a person who shouldn't have applied in the first place. The answer is it's up to the client as to whether or not they will hire him or her, and what that client will pay is none of our fucking business if they charge more.

    Their qualifications are determined by the person hiring. Not the public.

    That's like whether or not we should involve ourselves in the hiring process of a kid applying for any other job he/she is not qualified for.

    Exactly what consumer protection is this thread about? The client can make the final decision. A client can terminate the agreement especially if they're supposed to negotiate in the first place. So what is the point of this morality? What is the point of coming over and bugging CA about it? It's a problem on DA, then address the problem on Deviant Art!

    So no one can ever ask opinions on anything? If this was my thread I don't know if I should increase my prices depending on the budget of a client because it was none of my damn business to ask CA on the matter? Again no one is discussing the point of whether someone should apply or not, if they are qualified, or what their prices should be. The only question really being asked was "should an artist do this? and if so why?" No one is involving themselves in someone else's applications or anything. I know at least for myself I was curious to see CA's view on the matter so I know what I should be doing in that situation. No one is even involved.

    I don't understand why you're getting so irate over someone asking a question that can actually help anyone if put in a situation like this. That was an overreaction. I know I've applied to jobs before that had a budget over what I charged. It's not that uncommon. Just because its a business does not mean morals don't exist. Just look at apple, its a business with morality debates across the entire globe.

     

  18. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 122 Times in 85 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    If money does not cross their mind Mr Thomas you would probably expect to see plenty offering services free of charge.

    Learning to see

    "...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang
     

  19. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
    If money does not cross their mind Mr Thomas you would probably expect to see plenty offering services free of charge.
    Ohhhhhhh you were talking to me before..It's Mr.Thorns not Thomas (You had me confused earlier) and actually I see plenty that do, sad to say.

     

  20. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 122 Times in 85 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Oops!! My apologies to you Mr Thorns and Mr Thomas too

    Learning to see

    "...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang
     

  21. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I'm not over here on CA complaining "Someone dooooooo something!!! Wahhhh" I'm asking thoughts on it. I also hardly see asking peoples thought on the matter bugging CA. If you don't like this thread you can ignore it. It's not like I'm sitting here mass creating them. Not ever thread will appeal to your taste. Just ignore it rather than being rude.


    @ Charlie D

    lmao No problem! Thanks for your point of view, it really did help me understand a bit more from the other side of debate (Not sure what else to call it).

     

  22. #48
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,167
    Thanks
    751
    Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Azu View Post
    Thats a corp though. Lets say you charge $50 for a drawing. Would you charge an average joe who is interested in purchasing art $200 because that's how much money he has?
    I wouldn't change a price I had already quoted unless the situation changed significantly, like the client wanted more work than they first outlined, or more rights. If I decided that the price was too low for the job I'd withdraw my bid.

    And I wouldn't charge average joe $200 *solely because that's what he has*. But if I felt that my work was really worth $50 I might put in a bid for $200 because the client knows how to say no, and who knows, I might be wrong about how much my work is worth. If the client accepted my bid of $200 then I would know that it's time to raise my prices.

    But I can honestly say that I've never run into someone on dA offering me more money than I was asking. Average joe tends to think that everything is made in a sweatshop in Bangladesh and sets his budget accordingly, and dA artists are happy to work for a shiny quarter and a quick ego rub.

    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

    "There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki
     

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:


  24. #49
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Azu View Post
    So no one can ever ask opinions on anything? If this was my thread I don't know if I should increase my prices depending on the budget of a client because it was none of my damn business to ask CA on the matter? Again no one is discussing the point of whether someone should apply or not, if they are qualified, or what their prices should be. The only question really being asked was "should an artist do this? and if so why?" No one is involving themselves in someone else's applications or anything. I know at least for myself I was curious to see CA's view on the matter so I know what I should be doing in that situation. No one is even involved.

    I don't understand why you're getting so irate over someone asking a question that can actually help anyone if put in a situation like this. That was an overreaction. I know I've applied to jobs before that had a budget over what I charged. It's not that uncommon. Just because its a business does not mean morals don't exist. Just look at apple, its a business with morality debates across the entire globe.
    This is a stupid thread made by a bunch of DA Yentas.

    It is an irritating thread because these yentas know nothing about business. Make up some absurd problem and call it a moral issue. Then come here only to reply to this topic. Please.

    You didn't like the responses and replying with hyperbole from those who have worked on the craft.

    No. Go. Draw.

     

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •