Sketchbook: First steps
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: First steps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First steps

Hello to everyone. i finnaly have decided to start a daily sketch thread. My name's Dmitry, i 'm 25. My story is long and comlicated and i want to be honest here. I had started to draw when i was 14, but did it very occasionally. In other words i had little practice and didn't even consider myself to be an artist. During my education i drew in sketchbook, but being shy i showed nothing to anybody but my close relatives. Not being very happy with my occupation (i'm still not ) i searched for the thing to inspire me. But around 2 years ago i had understood that art isn't just hobby for me, just a time killer during gloomy depressed days. Still i had little practice and despite having brief fine arts course didn't feel satisfied. I always disliked how i drew. Like i lacked something essential to draw and to see something around me. I tried to brake up with art multiple times, only to return to these hopeless struggles again.Recently i've enlisted to the animation school and character design course. I had an opportunity to be taughed by very strong teachers, which is extremly rare in my country. Still i had struggles , a burden, which prevent me from enjoing what i do and how i do. My drawings look terrable,and all i want is to burry or(better) burn them. Only recently i start to understand where's a problem. I forgot how to see the harmony around me, how to see the world with the full hue and value. It's very fragile thing, without it neither an artist nor scientist can be anything more than imposter of real creators. I' m trying to change my life completly not to get some money or fame, bit to see the previosly unseen by me. I start my skethcbook here and will post anyhting art-related major- life drawing, concepts,anything containing the harmony which i'll find. If i succeed and will find the satisfaction with my creativity it will be a lesson for beginner artist. If i will not...well, it will be a lesson anyway. I wonder where this way leads on and where i'll be in several years.
    I interest mostly in character design, storyboard, animation, considering them as serious art, not less then fine art.Still i interest in everything which has internal harmony. It's a shame and a hard decision for me but i will post everything which i draw , either serious landscape or kawai big eyed animal. I have restricted myself too much in the past and i don't want it anymore. I'm open to any advice or criticism. Oh,also exuse me for my clumsy awkward english, I understand everything, i'm not just totaly fluent in writing.
    For the start i post my half a year nude pose drawings.
    Name:  2.png
Views: 306
Size:  578.3 KBName:  6.png
Views: 229
Size:  358.0 KBName:  3.png
Views: 228
Size:  580.9 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was sick for a week, so started sketching only recently. Theese sketches are rough and lame as usual, but why not? Am working on some characters, who probably will act in a comic story. We'll see.

Name:  day1.png
Views: 78
Size:  810.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I see potential here. You just need practice. Keep studying anatomy, values and composition. Do it regularlly and post here everyday. If you do so for sure you will improve a lot. Don't stop and don't give up. I like your art. Keep going and good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cojac View Post
    Hi, I see potential here. You just need practice. Keep studying anatomy, values and composition. Do it regularlly and post here everyday. If you do so for sure you will improve a lot. Don't stop and don't give up. I like your art. Keep going and good luck.
    Thanks a lot, i'll try.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest studying forms and perspective. Anatomy requires these foundations and right now it seems that you lack the knowledge of construction because it looks like when you draw from reference it seems as if you are copying the lines rather than constructing them with primitives. Learn to draw the basic primitives and you will be able to draw anatomical forms easy enough.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for advice, i'll try. I lack for sure any analysis in my work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here's the second day drawing. Did some life drawings at public places and sketches some fotos. I have understood how little did i life drawings and even sketches, maybe half an hour a day at my best days. No surprise they look ugly.Harsh truth, but one day it should be evident. I'm gonna fix it.
    Name:  day2.png
Views: 63
Size:  876.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here i am again. First the new year had come, than the conceptart got down, than i got sick. Still sick now. The conceptart is sick too
    But i kept drawing and i did realize some things.
    First of all my level of drawing is terrible. It's 6-grade middle school level for sure. I know the reason, i didn't draw at all since my young age. I just outlined things with my eye. I developed pretty good eye for outlines, but i never went deeper into the objects, into their construction. No deeper than basic forms and maybe shadows. That's why even my finest pieces were dull and lifeless. Lack of analysis. I realized i could barely draw a sphere and its meridians and axis. I never paid an attention to construction and analysis, prefering 'the flow'. The flow ended like this, i feel like i start to draw from the zero level. I was unlucky not to have a person to tell me that thing long time ago but i'm lucky to realize this now. My second problem is my sketches. I'm a bit neurotic person and am always in a hurry. My sketches are in a hurry too, i can't sit and draw them more than several minutes, espessially drawing people in public places. No time to draw, no time to analyse. I have to handle this, though i dunno how.
    Now that's what i did. 4 days sketches, not a lot, but more then i did in monthes. My policy is to show every piece of drawing, no matter how rude and ugly it is. that's how i'll improve. I'm reading Loomis' how to draw heads and hands and it's pretty tough for me. After some practice i can draw a sphere and even line it's major lines, but planes of the face is a culprit for me. I just can't understand where they go, where they end, how they relate with each other. I'll try to make a cley model of the head.
    Name:  day3-1.png
Views: 48
Size:  735.2 KBName:  day3-2.png
Views: 44
Size:  1.39 MBName:  day3-3.png
Views: 51
Size:  648.8 KBName:  day3-4.png
Views: 56
Size:  730.9 KB

Members who have read this thread: 1