Art: God damn color charts.. pass the hemlock

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

God damn color charts.. pass the hemlock

I read Alla Prima and decided to do color charts... After 2.5 hours I've done 2 out of 12. This better be worth it, I'm about ready to give up

They also aren't even close to as good as in the book. Sometimes I just didnt apply the paint thickly so the gesso shows through and probably falsifies the values slightly.

Anyway, how worth it is this? I don't know how much of this I can take.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    There is one thing that Richard Schmid definitely knows, and that's color. (I lied, he knows everything) I haven't done the color charts myself, but I can see how they could help you... Although kind of a fanatical method to learn how to mix colors.

My room mate did I think two last year and kind of lost steam after that. He had other things to do though.

Just the actual process of mixing the colors itself is going to be worth it, not to mention having the reference of this chart available.

I think if you have the patience to do them, keep at it. And as Richard Schmid says in his book, don't treat them as an assignment, do them with the intent of learning and enjoy the process.

Also as far as applying the paint too thin, I thought he suggested using a pallete knife to mix and apply the paint. I don't own the book so I can't say for sure.

Oh and since you say that you're not sure if you can live through them it might just be a complete waste of time for you. After all he talked about in his book how his peers at school blew off the color charts and got back what they put into it. You know that old saying.

Last edited by Gory; July 8th, 2004 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added line

Thanks
    I've done them, so hang in there. It took me about two weeks and I did about one per evening on average. Yes, it's worth it. I don't struggle with mixing the color I want to achieve. Schmid's June landscape DVD goes into some length on how to reference them. Do yourself a favor and make sure they're painted on something portable. I made the mistake of painting them on masonite and they add up in weight when they're all finished, so mine aren't portable for bringing on a plein air outting (which they're intended for) or even to show to other students.

They do take a while and I know several accomplished gallery painters that attempted them and lost steam half-way through, so pace yourself. Do one a week if you have to, following through is a triumph in itself.

Thanks
    Thanks for the tips. I'll keep at it then.

Speaking of which.. You've seen the June landscape video?? How is it? I just bought it yesterday for my birthday..

Thanks
    It's pretty good if you like his work and are into landscapes. There's a good hour or so section after the demo where he goes over the color charts, how to use them after you've painted them, and just answers miscellaneous questions.

Thanks
    Buy this book:

Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green by Michael Wilcox.

Do the color charts with a q-tip or something so that you don't bum out about messing up a lot of brushes.

Members who have read this thread: 1