mountain side road - wip
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: mountain side road - wip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mountain side road - wip

Hi everyone. I'm taking another crack at this digital painting thing. Have ya'll ever played Final Fantasy X. There's this really amazing environment which is basically a long road along side a cliff or mountain with waterfalls and stuff. I've basically been inspired by that level. I collected a lot of reference for mountain roadsides (mostly from another inspiration, super dangerous Colombian mountainside roads) and here's what I've come up with so far. I'd really like some critique on anything you all deem important like composition, values, placement of the characters and what not. Right now it's only values but I'm about to start coloring as soon as I get some more detailed trees and other stuff. I'd very much like some feedback on the anatomy of the characters. The figure on the right is supposed to be a female. Are her proportions correct? She'll eventually be holding a shield on her left arm. Anyway, thanks people.

Name:  mountaintrail.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  303.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd crop the image a lot to amp up the drama. Make the enemy closer, too. It's not like people won't notice the background, but the action and story have to take precedence over that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slothboy3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Slothboy, I think you're right. I cropped the image and I did like how it focused the action. Still, I want to show off the background. There's a city way in the background on right side and that's the destination of the two travelers. Cropping the image and removing the city would remove a part of the scale and the story I'm trying to tell. I can always crop the image in the future though. I also made the two characters on the left larger. I haven't been working on this piece as much as I should. I feel like I had some trouble trying to make some believable grass up close and afar. I found a grass brush I kinda liked and painted in some grass there. What do you all think?

I'm about to start working on the characters so if anyone has any anatomy feedback, I'd appreciate it. Or any other feedback ya'll might have. Thanks.

Name:  mountaintrail.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  371.5 KB

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The red circles are all tangents that you want to get rid of.
    Name:  tangentcrit.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  382.1 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome dpaint. Thank ye very much for pointing these out to me. I'll fix these.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The woman in the foreground has a huge ass/ pelvis. Bring her left hip in a bit, the guy running has a really long arm and torso or is he a monster? The woman who's going to have a shield looks really stiff, drop her right shoulder for the sake of perspective. I'm really not too sure, I need to do some studying myself, try to find reference images or do the poses yourself in the mirror. I like the guy attacking the most for his pose and movement, the other two do look a bit stiff, try to make it look like they're in motion/ leaning into their attacker or displaying some kind of emotion through their pose whether it be fight or flight. It looks like the guy on the left cant put his weight behind his weapon which makes it look really odd, put his right foot behind him and his left underneath his chin or so. The sky needs to be brighter too, its too close to the surrounding values unless there is some artificial light we dont know of.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.