Crappy tablet or crappy skills? (Wacom Intuos5)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Crappy tablet or crappy skills? (Wacom Intuos5)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Crappy tablet or crappy skills? (Wacom Intuos5)

Hello

I'm totally new on this forum and totally new in the world of drawing and art. Lately I had to do some design in photoshop for work, one thing let to oneother and now I want to draw and paint like a maniac.
    I used to draw a lot during my childhood and teen years but stopped with it, did not draw for more then 10 years and now I want to take it to a next level.

My problem is following: I bought a Wacom Intuos5 tablet and I draw in photoshop but it seems I get some "artefacts". It seems like when stroking the tablet with my pen it sometimes feels like it's not really flat. I get some hickups or pixelshifts that seem like it should not do. In my picture you can see what I'm trying to explain.
    In real life I know nobody who's into painting or uses a drawing tablet so I can't get some advice. Basicly what I'd like to know is, is this normal or is my tablet broken?

Bear in mind that I have no clue what pixel size I should be working. Pixel size for brush or for document. Am I drawing wrong?

When I draw on paper I get pretty good lines and circles but it's so damn hard on my tablet. Is this a normal learning curve?

I would really appreciate some help and hopefully I will be showing my work pretty soon.

Name:  tablet.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  42.2 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your post may be better suited posted in the Wacom subforum. Have you tried adjusting your wacom settings in the control panel / system preferences?

There's a fairly old but 2012-ish thread currently in the wacom subforum reporting of a sensitivity bug with the Intuos4/5. I don't know if there's a fix yet, since there was nothing of it being mentioned.

it's not the end that matters but the journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you take a ruler and the line end up like the one you show there, it's probably the tablet drivers :p

At all pixel size it's suppose to work, even with 1 px, the line should be a line, no jump should appear. So the question is : what is your OS, your photoshop version, the drivers you use and is this happening in other software ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried adjusting the wacom settings without any success. I can't watch the video in the other thread atm, will watch it later.

Oh, I'm working on a PC running Windows 7, PS 6, latest wacom drivers. I haven't tried it in other software, except for paint I don't have any other. But I'm going to look into this if I can try it elsewhere. I'll have a look at it all when I'm home from work. Thanks already guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, I tried the ruler in photoshop and in gimp and both of them do the same thing, they shift the pixels like in my pic. I can't draw straight lines with it. I'll have to figure out if it's the drivers or a hardware issue

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the next step would be to try installing older drivers...
    Do you get any pression information if you try to push harder while drawing ? Before thinking of a faulty pen or faulty tablet, let's check all the possibilities

Also, intuos 5 tablet are suppose to have touch surface, right ? (I don't own one so I'm not quite sure) Is this touch-ability working ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember from Wacom some simple advices:
    -avoid any magnetic fields around the tablet
    -it is better to plug the tablet directly to your computer instead of plugging it to an USB Hub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pression sensitivity works, it's plugged in directly. I don't know wether I can change my setup to avoid magnetic fields. Don't know if there are any.

BUT I did found out my tablet was configured in "mouse-mode" and I changed it to "pen-mode" and now it's almost gone. Sometimes it still does this slightly but certainly not as much as before. It's workable.

I do though get the shoe-lace problem now but I can live with that. It's not that annoying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the shoelace problem you have to disable "Smoothing" under brush settings in Photoshop (F5 menu).
    Despite appearances, Photoshop isn't the best application for drawing and painting, in my opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Firstly, if you want to make nice straight lines or circles most programs have a means of doing that perfectly, like in gimp for instance, click, hold shift, click again, straight line. Also you could be working on a really small canvas, almost doing sprite sized work.

Members who have read this thread: 9