In praise of RGK - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: In praise of RGK

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Krenkel was a proto nerd and was active in sci-fi fandom and knew a lot of guys in sci-fi fandom. This was long before it became cool. Editors in the sci-fi world wanted more work from him, but he just didn't have the drive or confidence or discipline to be a professional. Krenkel was a much beloved figure by all who knew him and he kept up contacts with a lot of sci-fi and fantasy artists, writers, editors, and fans in and around New York.

I can't answer your other questions. Not sure if I understand them.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Imo, the talent that RGK lacked, and this goes for a lot of intellectual artists, is what I call "a feel for the real." This ability is what allows an artist to create compositions and figures that "work" regardless of how outlandish the composition or idea. I guess a "feel for the real" would fall under the heading of Howard Pyle's theory of mental projection.

Last edited by kev ferrara; December 21st, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Remember fandom was closer to pro work than it is now with some fanzines publishing as good of work as pro stuff both writing and art. So you saw a lot of artists doing both because it was respectable. Jack Gaughan, George Barr, Stephen Fabian, all started as fan artists and all had careers as pros in the 60's and 70's.

I was friends with Kelly Freas later in his life, there was 30 years between us, but he always treated me as a colleague instead of the newbie fanboy I was and I spent many a convention sipping Bourbon with him in his room staying up till all hours talking about art. He would have done fine in today's market. He was a talented and generous man and could do anything he set his mind to. If you go back and look at his style you will see it morph over the years to keep current but it was still all Kelly.

Last edited by dpaint; December 21st, 2012 at 07:11 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Edd Cartier and Kelly Freas were much better artists. (Just speaking of the sci fi artists during the 40s and 50s.)
    Yeah, now I am ashamed I forgot about Cartier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.