Art: A Wierd One From Attaya
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A Wierd One From Attaya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Wierd One From Attaya

I did this as a gift for a friend. I sure hope he likes it...hope you like it too ^_^

(Apologies for the somewhat poor res.)

Last edited by attaya; July 8th, 2004 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Broken Image
    Undumb! Unimpaired! Untroubled!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, stylistically, it looks like you have potential. Technical skills could use a lot of work though.

In the picture above, your characters seem to have this elven/ anime look to them, and it actually looks kinda cool. They look delicate and regal. The design is a little more graceful than you usually see in most anime styles. That much I really like. However, resolution, color work, lighting, details, etc, are almost non-existent. So, Iím not quite sure how to approach this.

Iím curious, is this all done on paper, or do you use a program on your computer? Iím seeing what looks like magic marker, ink pen, and some digital touchups, but I canít quite tell. Are you looking for an in depth critique? Pointers? Maybe just thoughts on the design?

Let us know what you used to create the picture, and what youíd like to hear. Makes it easier to comment that way.

De Omnibus Dubitandum (Everything Must Be Doubted)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallos
    Well, stylistically, it looks like you have potential. Technical skills could use a lot of work though.

In the picture above, your characters seem to have this elven/ anime look to them, and it actually looks kinda cool. They look delicate and regal. The design is a little more graceful than you usually see in most anime styles. That much I really like. However, resolution, color work, lighting, details, etc, are almost non-existent. So, Iím not quite sure how to approach this.

Iím curious, is this all done on paper, or do you use a program on your computer? Iím seeing what looks like magic marker, ink pen, and some digital touchups, but I canít quite tell. Are you looking for an in depth critique? Pointers? Maybe just thoughts on the design?

Let us know what you used to create the picture, and what youíd like to hear. Makes it easier to comment that way.
    Well, the original is 11 x 17 black and white pen & ink. I posted a copy at www.attaya.deviantart.com that looks better. This image was hosted at photobucket.com and I think that messed it up a bit. I notice a lot more problems with it now. I'll try to find another host but if anyone could recommend a better one I'd be most appreciative.

All of the color was done in photoshop. If you like, I can post the black and white version tonight. Critiques are always welcome, gotta have them to learn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks very nice so far, although it still needs a bit of work.

As was said before, the style works very well, its the technical aspects that need work. The overall piece is pretty flat, try adding more contrast and ambient lighting. I think it would also help to add in some small details to keep the viewer interested.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGreenSock
    It looks very nice so far, although it still needs a bit of work.

As was said before, the style works very well, its the technical aspects that need work. The overall piece is pretty flat, try adding more contrast and ambient lighting. I think it would also help to add in some small details to keep the viewer interested.

Oh, I see. I need to work on my lighting a bit. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    over all i started by thinking that your original poster here was dead wrong that most of the problems with the peice where because of the hosting and image quality while being posted but i can see what he means by just how flat the image is ... maybe it is what your going for .. it does kind of portray a mood ... BUT ... i think you could benifit from some ambient light he was talking about .. maybe use some of the yellow present in the top left im assuing thats a light of some kind ... i dont know ... have it reflect on them and the glass .. and a third tone gradiation in the people themselves

those who can't, teach

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really notice the flat quality now as well. Thank goodness for you guys. I work on a picture and just become blind to some aspects of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I meant to reply to this sooner.

So, alright, now we know what you're working with. Again, I really like your character style. From what I've seen so far, it's your strong point. Now we can look into possibilities, or things that could enhance the composition.

Thoughts off the top of my head:

-Contrast: More contrast would definately help bring out your characters/ objects. You might try adding more shadows, and making them deeper/ darker in places.

-Color and light: With this piece, you've got a monochromatic thing going on. Everything is either blue, green, or somewhere in between. It looks like you were trying to set a certain mood, atmosphere with those colors, which is not a bad thing at all. Let's say though, if you were to shine a blue light on me, my skin, clothing, hair, etc, wouldn't all turn the same color of blue. In fact, if I was wearing a red shirt, it might look a little purple under the light, and my shirt might be darker than my skin. The same types of things would apply to your characters and they environment they're set in.

Also some parts may retain their original color. In a normally lit environment, if I shine a blue light only on one side of my face, the other side is still going to look normal. At that point, you're looking at multiple light sources. I think something like that would really make a difference with your current composition.

By the way, could you post the original black and white copy? I'd like to see what the original drawing looked like before it was taken into photoshop, if you don't mind.

De Omnibus Dubitandum (Everything Must Be Doubted)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

ooh,hey, no, don't change this...i like the shading and the color and even the figures...i think it's pretty snazzy just the way it is

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the style of the characters. Overall, this piece is nice and clean.
    Now to the critique...

I see you do have lighting, but it doesn't provide contrast. This could make some sense if the area is bright, and something is putting off even more light. The light source looks to be to the east/southeast(from this view) but if it is, then the left sides of all characters/objects should be much darker.

Also, there is no perspective. This view is "straight-on," but you have to pick one straight point, and then add perspective to everything else, like making the base of the tank more curved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in some places, the blue looks too saturated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, Sci-Fi/fantasy, is one of my favortie genres!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.