Thread: Jeffrey Jones

Thanks

Jeffrey Jones

I'm sure many of you who like comics already know his/her work but I thought'd I'd post this for the rest of you who aren't familiar. He's influenced countless illustrators (Jon J. Muth, Kent Williams, George Pratt...etc.) and has a real passion for the work he does. The web site is plain in it's design but it has a tremendous amount of his work on display.

Jeffrey Jones
    http://www.ulster.net/~jonesart/

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I cannot believe i didn't know about his work. I'm astonished:eek:
    Thanks for the info buffalo
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks

To iwasink

I'm glad you liked his stuff. He's really an amazing painter. Believe it or not he's in the process of becoming a she and as such has sort of dropped out of existence. But a nice hardcover covering his work from early Sci-Fi novel covers to his comic and personal work (The Art of Jeffery Jones) was just released. You can find it at:

http://www.budplant.com

a great site packed with books by amazing illustrators both old and new. I've ordered from them many times and always been really happy with their service.

Thanks
    Believe it or not he's in the process of becoming a she
    WHAT !?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :eek: :confused:

...please tell me it is a bad joke
    -Alex Gering

Thanks

Yep (Believe it or not)

If you follow the link above to Jeffrey Jone's site. Click on the "index" link above the artwork on the front page. Then click "the artist" link on the next page - that should bring you to a page with three pictures. The first appears to be what Jeff looks like today. The second an older picture of him with a beard sitting. And the third is a baby picture of his. If you scroll down below the pictures you'll see a link "autobiography". It's long and very wordy. But he discusses (somewhere in there) his reasons for deciding to change his sex.
    I was shocked when I found out. You don't hear about this stuff too often. But don't forget to go and check out his painting gallery when you're there. Jeff Jones is right up there with Frank Frazzeta, Moebius, and the other brilliant illustrators who pushed illustration where it is today. And he/she is still doing amazing work.

Thanks
    Now that I read her bio I understand and respect her decision.
    And yes, Jeffrey Jones is someone who will be remembered for her art.
    -Alex Gering

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    i've been a jeffery jones fan since I was a wee artist, i bought one of her books and was in love ever since, I've been visiting her site for years looking at his galleries but i never once clicked his bio, someone a few months ago told me that he was a she and i just couldn't think of anything to say, i thought it was complete utter bullshit until i saw the proof. A huge shocker to me. I think her art work is just amazing though.. it doesn't effect my impression of her or her art, cause she's freaking fantastic( for a girl..)

Thanks

Jeffrey Jones

I'm glad you all agree. Jeff Jones is an amazing artist. It's nice to know there are others out there who like her stuff. I still think of him as a he (not too be difficult - it's just difficult to shake that notion) but I'm really glad that she's taking steps towards being the person she wants to be.
    A year ago, I was in a big book shop in Manhattan called The Strand (I'm sure a few of you know it). While looking through some of the cheap stuff I happened across a signed set of prints from Jeff Jones from the early 80's (some beautiful sketches with watercolor finish). The whole set was only $3.99 or something like that. Ridiculous. I snatched it up and fought wind and rain all the way home to ensure it wasn't ruined. Its now a proud part of my art collection.

Thanks
    Jeff Jones is definitely one of the most influentioal artists in all of fantasy art. A fantastic draftsman, and all around nice guy (gal). I had the privelidge of having dinner with him years ago at a comic con we were all at and he was tremendous. If you are an fantasy/comic illustrator and don't know Jeff's work then you need to do a little research on the forerunners of your craft. A class act in every respect. Artists today should look to him as the example of how it should be done.
    Craig Gilmore
    Veteran Illustrator
    *Premiere Storyboarding and Conceptual artwork*

I.A.T.S.E. union member
    Art for Motion Pictures, Television, Video Games, Comic Books, Advertising
    http://www.craiggilmore.net

Thanks
    So you guys will get a sense of scale of Jeff's paintings...here I am... 6'1

One photo of 2 Jeff J paintings
    Chad Townsend
    http://www.chadtownsend.com

We now return you to Bullit already in progress...

Thanks
    Chad thanx for that pic of Jeff's paintings. I've always been a fan of his but to see how big those pieces are really makes em even more awesome.

Where did you take that pic?

It's sad to hear what Jeff is going through. It's a classic artist's story in the making.

mitch
    There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.

Thanks
    That can explain the breakdown I really hope she gets back on her feet. Hopefully she'll be put in contact with the trans society in her area and get some support/help.
    Double shocker = sobering indeed.

Thanks
    I almost wonder if there is something that a community of illustrators could do for her.

Many well-known illustrators hail from that area of New York State: James Gurney, Jon J. Muth, Bernie Wrightson, Stephen Hickman, and many many others. I hope he/she has a support system, because it would really suck to have to go through something like that alone....

-Muttonhead

Thanks
    Amazing artist but is his mental health is off slightly

Thanks
    wow, shes really brave. it must be hard to give up all youve known. the art is amazing
    my gallery

Member: Team Insect Battle X-Treme ( scorpion squad, mutated monstrosity platoon)

Thanks

Unhappy wow

To hear this makes me very sad.! Jeff inspired me so much when I didnt even know if I could keep doing art. NOw I'm rolling fast and furious drawing after painting...and a lot of it has to do with Jeff's inspiration.

I really hope his mental health recovers and that he rebuilds his life (with art) and love. sry to hear this.

Thanks
    wow.. i didnt know jeffrey jones was changing his sex... strange..

only critique i have of him is that some of his work looks way too much like NC Wyeth.. but hey, that didnt stop me from buying his(her) book last year, heh

Thanks

Word from Jeff

I was just checking some of my favorite sites and found the first message from Jeffrey Jones that I've seen in a long time. I guess this explains that.

This brief message is on the front page of the web page listed in the first post of this thread.

"About a year and half ago I suffered a serious nervous breakdown. I was hospitalized for about six months. During this time I lost my home, my studio, and all my belongings.

I am now living in a community hone (sic) for the mentally ill and am on welfare.

Any of you who have ordered items from my website please stop payment on your checks.

I apologize.

Sincerely,
    Jeffrey

There are those who paid a down payment for commissions. At this time I am unable to paint: have faith.
    October 2003

I'd like to recommend we start a tribute post for Jeff. Maybe put up work inspired by her stuff. I'll try to get something of my own up soon. For now though, I thought you all might want to know what was going on.
    I cook like crisco, I pump the ill disco...
    http://www.theafter.net

Thanks
    Indeed. The art of Jeffrey Jones is something I have adminred for quite a while. I do hope things will get better.

Here are some in progress shots of Jeffrey's work from the painting to Chad's right in that photo, for the ones that have not seen them so far.

Jeffrey Jones
    Jeffrey Jones
    Jeffrey Jones

Really impressive. ( Let me know if you only see little x-s, even if right clicking and selecting show picture)
    Will appreciate critique anywhere, anytime .
    My Ramblings