Tips from an aspiring concept artist
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tips from an aspiring concept artist

Hello CA.org,

the purpose of this thread is to share what i have learnt since i began training to become a concept designer. Before i get to that, i'd like to talk a bit about my background.

Six months ago i realized that i could make a career in the video game industry with art. Having always been a creative person with an extremely active imagination, I thought to myself "This is totally for me!" I've always enjoyed drawing, but there was a problem; i had no experience with art beyond childhood doodling and cartooning. So i starting researching where to start.

I spent countless hours, reading forums, watching youtube videos, and even invested money into some art classes in my neighborhood. I learnt many things throughout my journey thus far, but one thing i have just only recently understood is 'why'. Why do we do what we do?

All over the place, people speak of fundamentals as the core building blocks of art and design: perspective, anatomy, lighting, form, line, color theory etc.. Everyone expresses the need for these, and any one person can understand the importance of fundamentals. It just makes sense, you have to crawl before you can walk. But something was missing, it still didnt make sense. I bought the book, I read the book, I did some of the excersises from the book, why didnt the book make me better??

I missed the point, the big WHY. The great purpose behind all of the studying i have done, the things people dont talk about. "WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO GAIN FROM DOING THE WORK"

So here it is; the list is small, but as i learn i will post.

i: FUNDAMENTALS

Perspective Drawing(free-hand):

If you are truly new to drawing, start here.

I say this because the very first thing you should learn to do well is line work, penmanship and overall confidence. Practicing perspective drawing, will train your mind and body to draw not only straight and confident lines, but beautiful curves and forms that make sense. All while Learning to convey depth within a 3D space.

This is how one would kill two birds with one stone, or dropping a boulder on a chicken coup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like i said, im still learning so if you have anything to add on any subject matter please do so. i will continue posting as i grow.

Hope this helps
    Gprowl

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Gprowl, I think I'm in the same boat as you are ... or you know the boat behind you. I've also only just started drawing recently.
    I searched online, looked at tutorials, at how to draw techniques, I looked at everything I could get my hands on.And most tutorials did explain the fundamentals - use dots like this make lines like that, hold your pen in this way etc.

My problem with all of this is as helpful as all those are the actual exercises were very simple, very boring and very much the same everywhere. For awhile now I thought that I want to learn how to draw all these things and practice my techniques but I was sick and tired at looking at apples, simple balls, and vases. I want a tutorial that shows a nice drawing and all the techniques that it takes to get there, so that when I finish with it I have a picture to show for all the work I made, so that I feel a sense of accomplishment when finished.

Art and creating are is exciting, amazing and interesting. It's fun! The way it's taught, though, isn't. Since I discovered this problem it's not so difficult for me anymore. Now I simply have to find something I like to draw and then look for the right proper way to do it. This way I make something I like, I make mistakes I can learn form and most importantly practice drawing in a fun way.

Also - no apples!

A guide at how to fail at drawing
    http://art-of-noob.blogspot.jp/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply,

i totally know how you feel. the big thing on this forum is 'Draw from Life' , which i can see what there is to be learnt from life drawing, i find it dull and unproductive.

From life you are essentially learning how to see and copy lines, this is important for artists who will be doing lots of observational drawings. Take for example your basic shapes; you could sit and draw the cylinder sitting on your table in multiple positions over and over, through this you now know how to draw a cylinder at many angles, foreshortened or not. But what you dont learn, is the anatomy of this cyliner. without that knowledge, you are only equiped to draw the same cylinder thats been sitting on your table.

This is why i have enjoyed addopting the 'Drawing in 3D' method, which i have learnt from studying Feng Zhu(wicked brilliant BTW). the method is essentially understanding how an obect sits in 3d space, this way you can draw an object and are able to re-create it from any angle while holding the same proportions as the last.

if you havent had the chance, or havent seen these videos already. check out Feng Zhu's channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL

and another cool video ive come across is by Scott Robertson called 'Basic Perspective Form Drawing'. This video is from the Gnomon workshop website. the title is 49$ i believe. i cheated and got a ripped version from TPB, im low on funds at the moment. as soon as i can afford it i will be buying this title.

Members who have read this thread: 6