Thanks

Laptop recommendations

I'm looking to get a laptop to replace my desktop. Right now i'm looking at a 16/17" screen, hyperthreaded, 2 gigs of RAM. I've looked at a few models and really like the Sony Vaio's screen the best.

Anybody have PC recomendations? (I'm not going to bother looking at Macs since all my software is for the PC.)

I'm also interested in the Alienware machine, though I havn't seen the screen.

Vance
    www.vancekovacs.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you going to buy a laptop then Sony is the best
    choice and Vaio is the best of Sony.
    Too expensive but sometimes it isn't the most
    important.
    Shoppingday.us
    ForumsInfo.com - The LARGEST FORUMS Directory

Thanks
    i'll say it before jason does...
    get a boxx...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    hey vance, I had the sony and the color depth on their monitors is pretty miserable. Then I had the Dell Inspiron 8500 widescreen which is way too temperamental and fragile for my cart it everywhere lifestyle. The boxx technologies machine is the best laptop workstation for painting I have found. I just bought mine..pick it up tomorrow.. 17 inch HIGH RES screen (not the pixelated xga's on the apples or the like) , 2 gigs ram, 256 meg video card. 2 hard drives. 3.4 ghz pentium 4....full keyboard...yum. www.boxxtechnologies.com THE BEAUTY IS...they give ten percent off to the conceptart.org community because we are based here in austin and they love the arts. that saved me over four hundred dollars. I will post some pics this next week if i can. here is the direct link GOBOXX LAPTOP
    Last edited by Jason Manley; July 8th, 2004 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    Jason, thanks for the lead on the GoBoxx, I'll check them out. The price seems comparable to the Alienware machine except it has a larger screen with more resolution.
    The 256mb ATI card sounds nice, but I think I'd opt for something smaller, as I don't thing vRam will help much in Painter or other programs.

Tell me, have you experimented much with color controls on the ATI video cards? I'm more familiar the the nVidia driver to get the colors how I like them. The nVidia driver has a control caller 'color viberance', that if pushed ever so slighly to the right will make any cold-favoring LCD look like juicy-fruit.

I haven't found a control on the ati that produced the same effect.

Also, I'm curious about your experience with the sony screen, was it an older series? The ones I saw were brilliant with blacks that looks like dark matter in outer space.
    www.vancekovacs.com

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    I just got the machine....the quality of the thing is better than the sony (got that machine a year ago..vaio sxga screen) or the dell I have (got the dell because I didnt like the sony). The dell had a slightly glazed screen and was one step up than this in resolution(was uxga) but that led to me having a hard time clicking on little icons like the corners of free transform. This sxga seems better usability wise, though the screen picks up a little more glare than the dell because it does not have the glaze for anti-glare.

color controls on the ati... see attatchment...i was able to get it close to my home machine which is one of those old ctx monitors like we used at Black Isle with the good color. I was able to adjust it very close to how my home monitor is set though it seems to be slightly more contrasty in the middle range than the ctx. it has much richer darks than the dell or the ctx. I got it close enough to be fairly happy with it though. I need to spend a bit more time tweaking it. I do not know if there is another control than this one.

you are right...the sony had brilliant blacks...that was my issue with it...after near black it lost its color..which the dell retained...so i sold the sony and went with the dell.

The sxga and uxga monitors on the dell inspirons are my fave (in terms of color depth and range...especially in the middles..yum) though they only come in 15.4 inch I believe...which is just too small for me. my only gripe about the boxx is the reflectivity of the screen...but it has its positives because it seems more contrasty because there isnt a film over the monitor for anti glare. if i tip it at a slight angle the glare isnt a problem yet.

We were going to go with the alienware for the machines for the mb crew. Boxx is local to us and I met them in person...very good peeps over there. So I went with them. The alienware is a nice machine too. If you can get it in UXGA or SXGA then it wont be too pixelated to paint on. both the boxx and the alienware are upgradable i believe.
    Last edited by Jason Manley; July 9th, 2004 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks
    I want to revive this old thread and maybe get some opinions on the alienware mobile desktops. I really dig everything about them, but I'm not sure about the whether I should go with the ATI or Nvidia card. If anyone knows about the difference between the Nvidia GForce 6800 vs. the Nvidia 1400 Quadro FX card for a system that will use painter/photoshop/illustrator/maya go ahead and learn me on that as well.

Thanks
    CGTalk has a review of the Dell, the Alienware, and Boxx laptops...

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    bRyaN - Thanks so much for mentioning that article...it covers everything.

The Nvidia card seems to be momentarily at the top of the market, mentioned at CGtalk. The Quadro line of cards is suggested as hardware at the Alias site for Maya. The GForce line is not suggested...apparently it will work, but performance will suffer. That answers my own questions. Thanks

Thanks
    Manley, which exact model are you talking about on those boxx ones? I can't even find any laptops on that site...meh, me=n00b.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    I got one of them there Hewlett Packard 8053 17" widescreens with all sorts of gizmos including a gig of RAM and a super duper graphics card, that seems to work just fine. But I would recommend getting a 21" Cintiq with your old desktop now, if it's a half decent machine. Having played with one at work, I can say you'll never look back! It's the most natural way of drawing onto a PC.

Thanks
    The anxiety i have is over a laptop with a decent screen, would it be better to keep a crt where it's comonly used for dual screen and reliable colour. The tft i work on at the moment has appalling colour for painting.
    -Badger-

Thanks
    Just a short note...for anyone who cares..
    As long as you only use Photoshop/Painter/etc. you can go with an onboard, built-in graphics chip. You don't need anything fancy. Then get a Pentium (not Celeron - their cache is crap) M processor, which has Centrino technology. These processors are awesome...my laptop is constantly silent, and its performance is far from bad. Make sure you get lots of RAM - that's what Photoshop wants. And a fast hard drive if possible.

Thanks
    Just wanted to update this thread and say that I went with the Alienware portable desktop (Pentium 4) featured in the article bRyaN posted a link to. The upgrade 17" SXGA is beautiful. I just got the standard NVIDIA DDR3 6800FXGO with 256MB Module video card offered and it works just fine (as Pontemonti suggested). I tend to only use my desktop for 3D applications anyhow.

It's a big ass laptop. If you want a fast machine that might actually fit on your lap and will be carried around quite a bit, go with the Dell (only 15") in that article. I just had to have the 17" and love painting on it.

Hope this helps anyone looking.

Pie in your face.

Thanks
    If you are in the UK then i just got this baby for uni. Budget system, upgraded to 80 gig hard drive, but 1024 ram, 1.8 intel M, from a really reliable supplier sold me. Easy dual monitor setup at the mo counter acts it's tinyness. I would really recommend, the speed is breath taking for the price.
    -B-

Thanks
    Why is so high a Hard drive reccommended, and such high RAM. About how large a hard drive and how much RAM would you recommend? I am looking to spend around £500-£700.

Anyone got answers??

Thanks
    Hard drive for a laptop is good around 80GB or less, then buy an external USB 2.0 Harddrive if you want more, and RAM minumum 512MB.

p.s. My external harddisk is 300GB.

Thanks
    And that would be a good Laptop for Digital use, whats your experience?

(sorry to appear hasty, I am very interested!)

Thanks
    My laptop is HP, 17'' widescreen, HD 80GB, RAM 512 MB, 4 USB 2.0 ports, 1 firewire port, wireless enabled, and 128 MB GeForce graphics card.

This laptop filled all my needs and more, I am very statisfied and give it a 10/10.

Thanks
    I think I'm gonna go for Badger's recommendation.

Thanks
    http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=NBB

I go for cheap.

Because this years pooonage killa NASA technology ends up being shit next year, then you wonder why you wasted all that money for?

Get an AMD....just a good as Intel.....just runs hotter.

Thanks
    NoSeRider, you've never had a hot running laptop, have you? No point in that. It's noisy and not comfy enough to put on your lap.

Thanks
    Wrong....

I have a AMD 2200 Heulett Packard Pavilion Notebook I bought for $750.
    It had a 64 MB ATI Video Card, so I thought to myself that's good enouph and I bought it.....that was over a year ago though.

I use my laptop for a digital painting class, not much else. I do my digital painting on a desk....so I really don't want a hot laptop on my lap anyway.