Hub Screen (mostly vector)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hub Screen (mostly vector)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Hub Screen (mostly vector)

Simple hub screen for a small fantasy game done in Photoshop.

There are three main selectable areas, forest, arena and workshop- those are meant to stand out the most. Some elements will be animated eventually - smoke, clouds, etc.

Any feedback on color or other techniques that would help are greatly appreciated!

Name:  hub_screen_colored.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  445.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looks really good except for the forest. The tops of the trees are sort of maybe okay but it's like there's no relationship between the treetops and the tree trunks. Trees don't grow like that, so with the red arches and circles from the glowing eyes it looks like a cave complex with some camouflage stuck on top. It's pretty distracting.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks very nice, I dig the style and colors, but I think some areas need more work, mostly in the transitions between the house, woods and arena. I think there are too big contrasts stealing attention from your three main spots. The path from the house, for instance, gains in contrast as it moves away from the house when it should be the other way around. In the hill sloping down towards the left from the arena there are some trees that don't fit in as they are, the gradients on them give too much of a 3d-render feel, as well as the tree at the very bottom of the hill, closest to the dark woods is the very brightest one, stealing some attention.

Also, I think the black in the shadows of the cellar of the house should be a dark blue instead. Last thing: it looks like you've tried to light the trees from the arena. The light from the arena wouldn't really be reaching the trees and the houses, and if it did, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference on such a sunny day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice.

The forest isn't standing out as much as the others,which my eye went too right away. The blue is very recessive. I would suggest a dark, warm green.

Joining you in the ABCs of faith: Action, Belief and Confidence
    My web comics
    Just Create - my blog about how to create comic books
    YouTube Tutorials and stuff

Howard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Heh. Neat. It looks a little crammed into the bottom of the image to me. I assume the sky will have text on it, but I'd still like to see a little more breathing space at the bottom.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. I wouldn't have known the background building was an arena if you hadn't told me, though...it looks like a big bowl of orange soup. Also, the bright orange roof on the foreground cottage feels inconsistent with the color key of the rest of the building...I'd mute it considerably.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Background, foreground and middle ground objects are too similar in size so there's no size ratio happening when things are in a distance.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm having a little bit of trouble interpreting the edges. It feels like everything is foreground. I think you should take the time to more carefully consider the values of the elements and add a little bit more atmospheric perspective.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The area looks too saturated compared to it's surroundings. For the first 10 seconds staring at it I thought it was flying AND on the foreground

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.