Looking for some critiques. - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for some critiques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LaCan View Post
    In addition to good advice given by others; You chose a photo that's very difficult to work from with your current level of skill. Here's why:

1) Low viewing angle. We are not accustomed seeing our faces from bellow. All sorts of foreshortening and "weird" overlaps happen that may be hard to interpret.

2) Bad lighting. The light on your photo is coming from behind of your head, leaving most of your face obscured. It's hard to draw something when you clearly see only its silhouette.

My suggestion for your next portrait would be to photograph yourself standing by the window, light falling sideways on your face. Hold the camera at the level of your eyes. Even better, ask someone to take a photo of you with maximum lens zoom. The face will not be distorted by wide angle lens.

In such photo, the light coming from one side will create nice shapes of light and dark. These shapes are easy to notice and draw. They also emphasize the volume of the head and its features.

Attachment 1720653
    Yes, I was talking with my professor about all the advice in this thread and she did mention these two things.

She gave me two options, I can fix the mistakes with forehead and the shape of the nose (I would have a week to do it) or I could just focus on my next project. I think I learned where I failed at, and for my second attempt at self-portrait, I think I didn't do too bad (and there is improvement from the first self-portrait I did). Due to this, I'll just focus on the next project for now and work on nailing things. Layout is definitely an issue I have when it comes to complex forms (more specifically, a portrait). I'm going to try to put a little more focus onto studying the skeleton and etc in my sketchbook.

Thanks everyone again.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    one other thing i found is to not think of individual things as projects. their more like pages in a book, and projects, complete sets of work are chapters. the project, the book, is your learning and applying yourself for your working life.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I can suggest anything it is for you to practice on a much smaller scale. You should be working on smaller portraits in your sketchbook and once you have those looking good is when you can attempt it on a large scale like you did with this image. You don't even need to wait until your next school project or anything. You should be throwing down as much as possible in your sketchbook. The only way to improve on drawing is to do it all the time. Not just every time you have a project due.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    one other thing i found is to not think of individual things as projects. their more like pages in a book, and projects, complete sets of work are chapters. the project, the book, is your learning and applying yourself for your working life.
    Interesting, I will try to look at things like that. Thank you for being so helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by cfhd View Post
    If I can suggest anything it is for you to practice on a much smaller scale. You should be working on smaller portraits in your sketchbook and once you have those looking good is when you can attempt it on a large scale like you did with this image. You don't even need to wait until your next school project or anything. You should be throwing down as much as possible in your sketchbook. The only way to improve on drawing is to do it all the time. Not just every time you have a project due.
    Yea, a lot of the level of Drawing I am in is working on a larger scale and getting comfortable with it. I am notorious for leaving my sketchbook alone in my backpack XD. I will definitely get sketching though, I'm collecting a lot of objects now that I find interesting and I have a few really neat photos that I want to work from.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update update!

Sorry about not posting more often, it's a huge hassle taking pictures and uploading. I wanted to put up two things though.

Name:  24464_560222780675561_1189172460_n.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  38.8 KBName:  484217_560222080675631_1637348063_n.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  21.9 KBName:  576815_559070847457421_2067380825_n.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  37.8 KB

With the two similar ones, the first version (the one on the bottom) the eyebrows were too low and the ears needed to be extended a little more. The nose was also thin. The second one (one on top) is me attempting to improve the features, but it's not going so well (I was trying to improve them because the individual looked really young in the drawing, but older in the actual picture). The ink drawing is a self portrait for an in class assignment. I'll be finishing the portrait part (mostly) today and I will work on the background during the week. Of course criticism is welcomed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that Justin Bieber?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, set up a sketchbook thread. That is definitely more suitable for what you're trying to do here.

I'm not even really using mine right now, but it is good to post often in there.

Sketchbooks:
    Virtual Sprite - New
    Cali to SC, The Joshua Hollis Story - Old

W.I.P. Threads:
    By Crom! - Done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.Hollis View Post
    Hey man, set up a sketchbook thread. That is definitely more suitable for what you're trying to do here.

I'm not even really using mine right now, but it is good to post often in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfhd View Post
    Is that Justin Bieber?
    haha, no.

It's a friend of mine, who kinda sorta looks like Justin Bieber in photos.

and thanks, I redirected these to my sketchbook. Was a little confused by the title I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want an example, might as well be the prettiest XD

Also blacking out the negative space means you lose a powerful tool. It keeps you from using your eraser to get a nice crisp line. In yours, your face kind of bleeds into the back ground. See how there is no muddling where ali begines and the background ends?

OOO, do you have your thumb nails?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These drawings ARE average. i suggest you do blind contours for observational art. This will help you. It seems beyond anatomy, perspective, proportions and shading you simply need to just learn how to SEE.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FireToTheRain View Post
    Another thing, how do I photograph large drawings? This one is 40 in x 60 in and it looks weird in all the pictures I take of it but in person looks completely different. Am I missing something?
    Use a friggin' TRIPOD. Really, man, haven't you ever wondered about those three-legged black thingies they always sell in photo stores?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Use a friggin' TRIPOD. Really, man, haven't you ever wondered about those three-legged black thingies they always sell in photo stores?
    Yes, tripod does help, but there are other factors to.

Use a single type of bright light source. For example not mixing incandescent and florescent light. Make sure the camera is at the ideal viewing hight and distance. If you can, have a black matte cloth behind the image for easy editing. Make sure your image is orthogonal with the floor.

Here is what a quick googling provides:

http://emptyeasel.com/2007/01/19/how-to-photograph-your-artwork-for-a-portfolio-or-the-internet/
    or
    http://www.finearttips.com/2010/02/h...sy-way-part-1/

Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    This response comes off as really rude. I think that is not your intention, just wanted to throw that out there. I don't even have a digital camera (too expensive). I'm using my cell phone camera haha.

Use a single type of bright light source. For example not mixing incandescent and florescent light. Make sure the camera is at the ideal viewing hight and distance. If you can, have a black matte cloth behind the image for easy editing. Make sure your image is orthogonal with the floor.

Here is what a quick googling provides:

http://emptyeasel.com/2007/01/19/how-to-photograph-your-artwork-for-a-portfolio-or-the-internet/
    or
    http://www.finearttips.com/2010/02/h...sy-way-part-1/

Hope that helps!
    Thank you for answering my question and being helpful. I appreciate that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcov View Post
    These drawings ARE average. i suggest you do blind contours for observational art. This will help you. It seems beyond anatomy, perspective, proportions and shading you simply need to just learn how to SEE.
    uhh...ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyesopn View Post
    If you want an example, might as well be the prettiest XD

Also blacking out the negative space means you lose a powerful tool. It keeps you from using your eraser to get a nice crisp line. In yours, your face kind of bleeds into the back ground. See how there is no muddling where ali begines and the background ends?

OOO, do you have your thumb nails?
    I don't have any thumbnails for this one besides an small initial sketch, but I think seeing a somewhat more finished result will help you understand what I'm aiming for.

Name:  483273_562618577102648_1177751836_n.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  34.2 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2