New here
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New here

Hi everyone, I`m new here, and tend to draw for fun on my free time, I`m not really good at it, but I want to learn as much as possible, so that I can improve and get better, now what I usually do is grab a piece of paper and fill it to the brims, like these, the process can last from 3 days to 3 months depending on how much time I got and how interested I am in a particular one.

I started drawing stick figures and slowly worked my way up to these guys, I usually use mechanical pencils (small .35 or .3 mm ones), or similarly small markers (those used for technical drawing, studying civil engineering). I specially suck at making textures, shadows and depts. and faces, faces are my ban T_T.

It`s just a random train station, with a train carrying part of a Tank Division to it`s ready area, the gear the dudes are wearing is a mishmash of gear, and no intended armies or so, the weaponry too, a mishmash of RL rifles and stuff I came up or probably saw somewhere... I tend to draw them bigger, but haven`t had the time to scan any of those, will try to when I have time ^_^

Now, I want as much critisism as possible, as well as tips, be brutal if you have to, but tell me what am I doing wrong, and what is good, where should I improve, etc...

Sorry if it sounds like an order, my natural speech ain`t english, so not trying to offend anybody or to boss people around, just want any critique.

thanks in advance! This one is 80% of a standard A4 paper, I cut the useless part, and done in 2 days (not sure how much time, probably 5 or so hours total, maybe more)

Name:  sub 2.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  503.1 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Holy cow! That's an epically involved doodle.

You're not really doing anything wrong. I'm not great at environments, so I won't really go there, but the little dudes are all pretty well proportioned, in proportion to each other and their surroundings. If the inanimate objects were drawn as cleanly and with confidence as the figures, this would be pretty interesting. Loose and cartoony, but impressive by the sheer size and ambition of it.

Obviously there's room for improvement, but...where exactly do you want to go? Do you just want to be an awesome doodler, or do you have ambitions of something more, or what?

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I usually don`t do half as much as here This one I just got obsessed with it, I usually draw way less before I get bored, this one started as the central tank, and a few guys around, but I liked it, so I went on, and then it stopped being a casual doodle, and I set onto to finish the whole page. I`m usually short of attention spawn, and lazy, so I usually never go past doodles... I have tried before to make more complex backgrounds, by going brick by brick on walls, etc, but I usually stop somewhere and either file the paper or lose it.

I`ve several problems with vegetation drawing, and variations of posture, any tutorials I could use?

Basically, what I want is to be able to express as good as possible, what I see in my mind, I`ve a very graphic mind, a great imagination but a crappy memory, so I like to be able to put what I have in my head, on paper, so far, the dudes are ok, but the backgrounds, heavy equipment, buildings, etc

And well, so far yeah, I want to be an epic doodler :3

Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.