NSFW - Nudity Need a little help...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need a little help...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need a little help...

Last edited by FoodTeaArt; 6 Days Ago at 03:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't say much about colours because I don't know much about that sort of stuff, but does the guy want to be bitten? It sort of looks like he's pulling in the vampire for a kiss, rather than trying to hold him off in fear.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm assuming the person against the wall is supposed to be the girl? They both look like guys, partly because of the somewhat manly looking face, and because, even with the guy's arm going in front, we should still see a bit of boob. Her arm is way too short, try the pose yourself and check with a mirror, the elbow should come down much lower.
    Try having her jaw be a bit less square for a more feminine look, and maybe just a hint of eye lashes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FoodTeaArt View Post
    I tried making her breasts more pronounced but it didn't work. I'm going to try pulling the shirt closer instead.
    It's mainly because of the folds; the way you have them now suggests a flat chest as they're just falling loosely, there should be an area where the breasts have pulled the fabric tighter, even if the shirt is wide/loose.

Last edited by Black Spot; 2 Days Ago at 03:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FoodTeaArt View Post
    I had a really really hard time making the facial features realistic (without reference)
    go get some! and i mean ref that depicts the relation of the 2 aswell. i know noone that would be able to pull this from his head. this moment is about subtleties, you can only grasp if you look at the real thing.
    this full profile thing is not working combined with your shading, or vice versa. might work for heavily styized jobs (editorials e.g.), but not with that shading. by going for profiles you reduce it to a shape with the least form information as possible, no matter how elaborately you render it. go for the graphic statement! but dont contradict this notion by shading it. or shade it and think about form and how to create the impression of space on your 2d surface as best as possible. this practically means, overlapping, interlocking, and a more coherent light treatment though.

Last edited by Black Spot; 2 Days Ago at 03:32 AM.
    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well seriously you didn't search very hard now :-) Go to deviant art and search "profile", or "profile portrait" on google and you'll get thousands of photos (I checked). Or to be more specific search jason aaron baca on DA, he has lots of similar poses with female models you can use if you ask him nicely.

Really though, even professional artists use reference. You can't learn how to draw convincingly if you are repeating the mistakes in your head that come from not having drawn from reference enough to have internalized it. That is why you can't get the shadows right. You don't really understand where the planes are.

Cheers

D'Arcy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have made a classic newbie mistake of reducing the braincase. You have placed the eyes less than 1/3 from the top of the skull; real people have eyes exactly in the middle of the skull.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 398 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "there is no reference for this" . . . uhhh, what?! It sounds like you need a lecture on how to use reference. From what you say, you found plenty of reference, but dismissed it all with "none are close to what I'm drawing." Ummm . . . that's just not true. They are close. They're not exact, but no kidding, you'll never find exact ref unless you take it yourself, and even then it won't look just like a finished painting, that's why you're an artist, not a photographer. And then you said you used a mirror. I don't get how that is closer ref than the photos you found.

"point out if anything was particularly wrong"

OK, well first, why are the figures seen in perfect profile, but you see a 3/4 front view of the wall they're leaning against?

You have rough orthogonals on the wall, but the figures are just pasted flat into the picture. You should see the undersides of their heads, and be looking down on their hips.

The lighting is kind of a mess. It's not consistent. Her arm is lit from below, his from above, her face from adove, his from the side and back, her shirt is just as well lit as his even though he would be blocking a bunch of the light, etc.

If you're going to do lines, I suggest doing a tight line drawing of everything and then start painting it. Right now your sketchy lines are not adding detail or accuracy, so they're just messing up your values and atmosphere.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Oly_alley.jpg
    http://www.jeanetteverster.com/wp-co...brick-wall.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Corlan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are a lot of little things that look off in your picture, but since I'm not really skilled enough to be able to say what and where exactly, I made a quick sketch to kind of figure it out for myself. It's not perfect or anything, so don't take it as a guideline, I just feel more comfortable with pictures than words (:
    The eye is placed too high. And it looks a bit like it's bugging out, maybe you did that on purpose for the expression, but if so, it's too cartoony to fit with the rest of the picture. The ear is too low and the neck looks really thick.
    Regarding using reference; referencing is not the same as copying, you don't need a photo with exactly the same face or expression or even lighting, you will only use it for general information about the form and proportions, not the exact details. I made this sketch while looking at a picture I googled, and it doesn't actually look anything like the photo, but it does look more believable than if I tried to do it from imagination.

Attached Images Attached Images  

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Theeroos For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 3