T.i.a.

Name:  going_home.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  493.7 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The background is a little bit too close to the horizon line, and the foreground has the opposite problem of being to perspectivy. Try using a grid for just some basic perspective, even in complex landscapes it can help a lot just to have something there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The mountains in the background like Renzowolf says is too close to the horizon line but it is fine to have mountains on the horizon line just like this iceberg but from the atmospheric perspective you're trying to put in place it seems the background mountains on the left and right are closer than the ones in the center because they're darker which is a bit confusing as it appears they're on the same plane. These darker mountains need to fall below the horizon line, which will give it much more depth Because your sun is setting and white is really easily influenced by surrounding colour you should add quite a bit of the yellowness from the sun just like you've done with the mountains. I hope this helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks you for the comments Renzowolf and Jackgriffin. Much appreciated.
    @jackGriffin: The mountains were supposed to be on the horizon. But i guess i failed to make it look like that.
    Does it have too much contrast?
    The mountains in the middle are lighter because of the glow from the sun. (further away from the sun less lighting).
    The white-ish iceberg in the water needs more yellow?

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This seems odd to me but maybe I'm wrong. Is it weird that the sun is casting a pinkish yellow light on the mountains in the background but there's none of that color in the mid and foreground?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments everyone.
    JackGriffin: Thanks for the reference.
    The mountains supposed to be on the horizon. but i guess i failed in making to look like that.
    Are they too bright?

The mountains in the middle are brighter because of the glow of the sun.

heyguy: I think it's possible if the sun is far far away. (but not so sure either )

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The color of the sun affects everything in a uniform light so the background can't be one color and the foreground another color in the light. The perspective is indeed off as is the atmospheric effects.
    The couple of images you've posted now seem to be collage pieces stitched together with no understanding of perspective or real world lighting. You need to get outside and paint from life and look at things as they are not as they look in photographs. Draw small thumbnails of your idea first before using photos for reference. Work out all of the mechanics of light and perspective and atmosphere in the drawing stages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everybody for the comments, very helpfull.
    I'll try to fix the lighting and perspective in this piece and post it later in this topic again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is fine to have mountains on the horizon line but they're organic shapes and it very unlikely I think for all the mountains to be on the horizon line unless they're ridiculously far away or they're all lined up in a perfect line? Some areas will come out into the water and it will just look much nicer to bring some rock out into the water (it's just best not to have a straight line when your subject is nature because straight lines hardly ever occur). I think your grasp on digital painting is good but you just need to study light, colour and perspective more. A brilliant book for colour and light would be James Gurney's book called colour and light.

Name:  ref.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  439.5 KB

Last edited by JackGriffin; December 17th, 2012 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you JackGriffin for the clear explanation again. I will definitely try to fix it soon. I also take a look at James Gurney's book.
    Could you also look at my other thread 'New Alaska' a few threads below this one? I think perspective is better there but unfortunately also a straight horizonline again.
    Thanks again. Cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.