Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lyssa

Name:  lyssa8-1.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  356.7 KB

This is a digital painting I started at the beginning of the year and I had to shelve it when other projects came up. I've had a lot of trouble attaining the look I want to achieve and I hope I can get some good advice here. This was started for an Art Order project to create a female mage who wears white and gold. I had a vision of the dress being almost sheer, and flowing. I had trouble visualizing how it would wrinkle at the shoulders and how to make it flow from the waist down while still giving the image depth. I am very new to digital painting so I am still acquiring the skills I need to achieve my vision. I am painting this in Photoshop. There aren't any areas that are complete, although the face, hair, and hands are the closest to being completed.

Thanks in advance for any critiques.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've picked a tricky pose, that's for sure

Looking at her, with her front leg bent at a 90 degree angle like that, it looks like her back leg is straight, which makes it look really weird to have the foot placed so close to being under her torso. That means she would have to be on a set of stairs or something, not on a flat surface. That bottom leg should be reaching down far below the level of her front foot when one is bent and the other looks to be extending lmost straight down.

her right arm looks likie its twisted the wrong way ronud at the elbow. right now it reads a bit like her elbow is pointing at us.

I think the strong white spotlight that shines on her dress and right arm isn't followed up well in the rest of the lighting of the figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her joints make no sense, her one leg, the one that is bent, is so close to the camera, its such a warped perspective.

The skin colour is very flat, theres no real sense of light and with the sparkly blue bits I think there would be more colour involved, I would say go look up some led lights or something similar, ones that are red and blue, learn some colour theory and re block the anatomy. Flip the canvas, to figure out whats going on.

Also in context of the face, noses don't have lines, or eyes, learn to shade, because right now it doesn't look realistic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the critiques. I double checked my reference and the front leg is definitely at too much of a right angle. The angle on it can definitely change to make it less jarring and warped. Another problem I noticed is that with her arms in that position, her torso is too twisted as it is right now. Its good to look at this again after taking a few months away from it. I'm getting a better idea of how to fix it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.