Critique please?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique please?

I will be printing this out as a christmas gift, so i'd like to be sure everything looks good.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Let's see...the distant shoreline is far too straight and hard edged - think about the far shoreline...coves and point that would recede and come forward. The trees would actually be reflecting in the water as well. The tree line is a bit too all the same as well and you may want to punch some sky-holes here and there within and between teh trees. Also teh values of the far treeline would be lighter due to atrmospheric perspective. The foreground materila shoul have more light and color happening. The jutting log makes a tangent with the current shoreline which flattens the space.

It's not far off and these tweaks will make it much stronger - if handled well. Good luck!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent critique by Jeff. I would only add is to replace the black color with a darker blue or a mix of dark blues, reds, greens. I would also add a few ripples in the water here and there to make it more interesting. Right now it's just like a mirror.

Home of the Killer Concept Art Tutorials
    www.conceptartmasters.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DAMJAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it better now?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study this image, see what the water reflection does to the colour of the reflected tree line. Theres too much black in your image, you hardly ever see pure black in nature. Add some subtle colours here and there in in the trees and do what Jeff said about punching in some holes through the trees.

Last edited by JackGriffin; December 17th, 2012 at 07:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bleh, my previous posts are taking ages to be approved by mods, maybe cause i posted a link...

Anyway this was the reference i used at the start, seems pretty black to me.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, because it is a photo and nowhere near reality. This is a perfect example of how you can trick yourself into thinking photos come anywhere near our ability to actually see.

Cameras/photography are not capable of balancing a range of values. They either are exposed for the light or the dark, which results in either everything going to black or everything light geting blown out. Even in the image Jack shared the tree mass in the right mid-ground would not be black if you were seeing it with your own eyes.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,890 Times in 2,360 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's because its a photo. Photos are poor replacement for observation. When you observe nature you realize nothing is black when there is that much reflected light in the sky. Everything on the lake should be in perspective, the base of the grasses and moss especially. The reflection should be darker than the sky and even in the photo as bad as it is you can see that. Because the light is coming from the left side the trees on the right side would catch more of the light from the sky.
    Here is a similar picture by Peder Monsted, notice how filled with light the shadow areas are

Name:  Lake_Peder_Mork_Mensted.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  59.8 KB

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I'm a noob, so take my critique for what it is.

Firstly, I like the colours in it - wonderful sunset.

Now to my attempt at crit:

I think the key word, regarding your ref, is seems to be black. It appears to be black, but I think that even if you do as others have suggested and add some colours, it will still appear to be black, but with more life in it (pure blacks and whites have a bad tendency to "kill" colours I've noticed).

A question; is the water in your picture supposed to be calm or is there supposed to be some ripples on the surface? I think, if it's supposed to be calm, then the water should reflect the colour of the sky more like a mirror, but looking at your ref, there are ripples on the surface which distorts the reflection of the trees, as well as the reflection of the sky (the reflection isn't as colourful as I would've expected it to be). Also, those rings on the water closer to the viewer, bothers me, they don't look right and I can't really tell why. They just look flat to me.

Keep up the good work and I think it'll be a great image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some changes made, also it's only loosely based on the reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to add to the excellent crits already given.

Just, I'd like to see a line of light along the water horizon in front of the trees, just to differentiate the trees from their reflections. I also think what others said about the reflected surface of the lake in general being darker than the sky is worth paying attention to. You've done that a little here but it still looks a bit off.

I'm no expert by any means but through observation, I've noticed that when you're looking at a reflection on still water, you're looking downwards which means you'll see more of the dome of the sky above your head and that'll not only distort and stretch the reflections of things, it'll also show more of the deeper blue sky above away from the atmosphere on the horizon. So the lake surface nearest you will be a much darker blue than the darkest blue at the top of your sky.

Anyway, just my two bob's worth. I hope it makes sense and is vaguely useful to you. It's a nice image and I think it could be really good with some more understanding of light in nature and a bit of tweaking with the perspective here and there.

Good luck with it.

Members who have read this thread: 1