WACOM Accessories
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WACOM Accessories

Anyone using different pens/tips than the ones provided with stock?

I seeing inking, widebody, airbrush and much more.

Can anyone anyone comment on them?

I will be picking up a small or medium Intuos4 for use with my laptop(Already own a large for when I'm home) And I was interested in all the different pens.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the art pen is great, especially for calligraphy. I have only used the intuos3 version, so I can't comment on the new model. I believe its the only one that actually gives you another sensor - that being rotation. I might pickup the airbrush one someday. I am partial to the felt tips and the spring ones.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to whitetree For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the art pen for the intuos4/5 (which is actually the same pen - it's cross compatible for both versions). It isn't a must have but it's pretty nice to have another pen that also has rotation in your set. The tool ID that wacom has is nice so even if you don't use the rotation - having a spare pen around for other things can help.

There are bugs though with the art pen sometimes it doesn't rotate correctly or other problems. I don't use it often enough to give more specific comments, but I have seen people make note of it before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find the regular grip pens a little too fat and uncomfortable to hold therefore I bought the Classic Pen. It narrows nicely towards the tip and is much nicer to use.

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    There are bugs though with the art pen sometimes it doesn't rotate correctly or other problems. I don't use it often enough to give more specific comments, but I have seen people make note of it before.
    The rotation generally works correctly itself, but two things to keep in mind —
    1) the pen nib design is faulty, and art pen often has stroke skipping/nib stucking, resulting in graphic artifacts during painting; they provide a few nib versions with it, and so far, only plastic bullet one works more or less predictably; felt nibs are garbage imo
    2) because of extra data sent by art pen and -- this is just speculation on my side -- limited bandwidth of wacom's wireless tech - the art pen's data rate is lower than grip or classic pen's;
    it's roughly 160 (of whatever unit wacom is using) in recognition data mode, half of that or so in standard mode.
    what it means is rapid lines will look visibly broken; this issue is more apparent in photoshop,
    bc painter and some other software can add extra stroke data smoothing. not a big deal for anyone working on a slow/medium pace, though.

it is a really neat thing tho, and flat brush lovers would enjoy it a lot.

can't comment on airbrush pen; classic pen is less necessary for intuos 4 bc default grip pen is now thinner and lighter;
    I used to own those for intuos 3, felt better than clumsy out of box pen in my hands. matter of personal preference though,
    I've seen people stanning over intuos 3 grip pens which I hated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I might check out the art pen..hopefully WACOM can eventually release an update to relieve the rotation issues. I find the rotation would be great for those oddball brushes and stamps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the intuos 3 art pen had FAT flat nibs, it appears the new version is smaller chisel. I never had any problems with it - i've found that really customizing the tilt settings on the normal pen is enough for me though. photoshop has shit setting controls for wacom attributes btw

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.