Sketchbook: Laying the Foundation - A Newbie's Sketchbook.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Laying the Foundation - A Newbie's Sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Laying the Foundation - A Newbie's Sketchbook.

Hi Guys.

I started digitally drawing about 2-3 weeks ago. I used to draw on paper frequently but I stopped about 5-6 years ago. I'm just getting back into practice, and of course I'm using a Tablet now! I'm also new to colouring, I used to shade when using paper.

Please criticise my work and fear not for my emotional state, I can take your harshest words (As long as they are constructive).

I'm aiming to become as good as Nicholas Kay (Google "Nicholas Kay illustration"). I'm going for that kind of Photo realistic painting. However my end goal is to become a character concept artist/designer.

I've not got much of a Sketchbook at the moment. Just paintings in progress, I do plan to do some anatomy studies and drawing exercises, but I'm just enjoying painting characters at the moment!

Name:  Helmet Small.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  42.9 KB

Last edited by Heald; December 14th, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my work so far. This is spread over 1.5 weeks. The Stencil Man was my first, then the Orc, now I'm working on the Templar. I've already learned o much that I could easily improve the Orc! I have still yet to do some drawing exercises and anatomy studies!

Name:  Punching Man Stencil.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  49.8 KBName:  Punching Man Colour.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  47.2 KBName:  Flex Man.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  37.9 KBName:  Orc Stencil.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  96.2 KBName:  Orc Coloured.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  79.1 KBName:  Templar Helmet.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  169.5 KBName:  Templar.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  155.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really happy with the work I've made so far. I'm trying to speed up a little, as I've spent 10-15 hours on this at least. Possibly up to 20. Is that normal? I feel quite proud, considering I've been drawing for less than 2 weeks, and it's my first time using a Tablet. (I did draw 6-7 years ago, but only for a couple of years, and no where near this level).

Name:  Templar.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  191.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! I can see you're excited about art, which is great, but you need to slow down. Do some figure studies and pixel lovely and find a free copy of andrew loomis' books on the internet. Study from them, before you run into biger compositions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi. Thanks for your advice. It is indeed my intention to do studies after this picture is finished. I struggle most with the original sketch of the pose and face, so I'm just going to do pages and pages of stick figures and heads

I'll keep my Sketchbook updated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't get much done this week! I finally finished my Templar but I rushed the end. I felt like I was spending to much time on minor details and decided I needed to focus more on Anontmy studies. I did a few male side poses and this is the kind of work I'll be doing going forward.

Name:  Templar.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  210.5 KB

Name:  Man Side.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  83.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little more anatomy. I'm going to mainly focus on anatomy and poses before I undertake another "project".
    Name:  Anatomy.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  90.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomy is a tough one to wrap your mind around. The one thing that took me a long time, which I am really to terrible to be giving advice but here goes anyway, was understanding that I need to work in layers. I wanted to jump right into the small details and that does not work if you ever want to look realistic at all. The workflow I am seeing a lot, at least for pencil drawing, is basically, stick figure to determine pose and composition, then flesh that out into base shapes, refine the shapes, refine more, refine more, refine more until the parts are all in proportion and the composition feels right. Then you can start worrying about small details. Just my opinion of course. Keep up the great work and I am going to enjoy watching you improve!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you know about Andrew Loomis and George Bridgman books, try studying from them it helped me a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made the same mistake of jumping straight into digital and working on projects when I didnt have the right fundamentals. After awhile, I started to realize it and decided to put my tablet down and went to pencil and paper. I suggest you read Andrew loomis's books, which can be found on the internet. (I have all of them lol) or Norlings "Perspective made easy"

Not to be a "critique" but me and you are basically on the same boat. I struggle with all the fundamentals, and it looks as if you do aswell. When people see your work(normal people) they automatically see the problem because it's not appealing to the eye, it's not what they are used to seeing. Also draw and draw, over and over, practice practice practice. People tell me to draw from still life and draw alot. Anything thats in front of you. I think you rushed ahead just like I did. I think you should put down the tablet and start drawing on paper. This is the best advice I can give you, you dont have to take it because my work blows lol but I hope to see you post more and improve. We both got some work to do!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more studies. Jazzed it up a bit to make it a bit more presentable!

Thanks for the advice and kind words. So far I'm just sketching stick figures and padding them out with the the muscle. I'm getting much more comfortable at drawing quick figures now.
    Name:  More Anatomy.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  288.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start, it shows your motivation. I feel as though you need a little guidance though. Doing stick figures and simply "padding" them are going to make your figures end up looking like blobs and inflated dummies. I suggest you just stick with grinding pencil studies, study a lot from life and learn to draw what you see. You ain't going to learn a lot purely drawing from imagination so I suggest you go over to a site like http://artists.pixelovely.com and start doing tons of gestures from there(keep a routine of something like an hour of gestures a day, start at 30 seconds). Draw every day items, your own hand, self portraits etc., you will them learn to draw simply what you see and then you can evolve this to studying out of books by Andrew Loomis, Vilppu, bridgeman and other various books.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that's a great Website, thanks very much. I'll definitely start drawing from there. I'm currently getting my poses from an "Anime Video Game Characters book". As you can see, they are mainly combat focused and I don't really want to focus on Anime as it's not my style. In the image above, my latest sketches are the 3rd one from the left, and the one of the far right, so I feel like I'm improving.

I'll study from the website you linked me, perhaps that will shake me of my samey "manikin" look.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Heald, you, as I, have just started getting into digital painting from traditional but I must agree with everyone else. Anatomy is something really tough to get a hang of, I still struggle with it myself and probably will for a while. But yeah, doing studies from Loomis and Bridgman would be a good start. Also try to draw as much as you can and in multiple, like maybe -draw your hand in every pose you can think up of and more until you get the structure stuck in your head, the more you draw the more you'll get better, even if you think you aren't. Keep it up !

Last edited by Majinpower; December 29th, 2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!
    I see you're doing your studies with photoshop, personally i find it way easier to do such studies on a piece of paper.
    But that's just my opinion. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back again! I spent 100 minutes on http://artists.pixelovely.com/. I was doing 2 minute sessions of Life Drawings. At first I thought I was wasting my time, but I compiled everything I did and looked at the first, and the last. I feel it has been very beneficial and I'll be using this site a lot!

Name:  Life drawing compilation.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  171.4 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.