W.I.P What does this lack? i feel like it needs something else

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Question W.I.P What does this lack? i feel like it needs something else

Name:  trolls cave copy.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  345.3 KB

i feel like this miss something, note that im a noob in art so allot of suggestions concrerning pretty much anything about this image is helpfull!! i strive to get better!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    I think you may have a good idea and a decent subject but the design, composition, color choice and perspective are very uninspired. I look at this picture and see a troll or something with a blank stare, probably in deep thought about why he even exists in the first place. If comedy or satire is what you want to be conveyed then you are on the right track, however if this is trying to portray some semblance of realism, malice or monstrosity then you are no where near the mark.

If you want my opinion, and I am by no means a professional artist(a pretender at best,) then you should try doing smaller projects, focus on the little things and iron out your fundamentals (anatomy, composition etc...)

Sorry in advance if I was a bit too harsh.

thank you for the feedback, gave me a very good laugh when you wrote about the trolls mind, but anyway i see where you are heading and you are probably right, this project is way to big for me at my stage. i was planning to make a fire with some meat in front of the troll so he could look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by JOvictory View Post
    i was planning to make a fire with some meat in front of the troll so he could look at it.
    Yeah, you really should think about your story and how you show the story. I mean you've drawn the troll in front of a clear crossroad like he just came out of what looks like a tunnel, as if he was going somewhere but now he's all confused that there's two roads for him to choose and that's way too tasking to his brainpower, but your actual idea was to put a fire right in the middle of the road?

If this is supposed to be his home cave, make it look like it. I mean look at your own house/room and see what makes that the place you live in and use that for the trolls cave. I'm pretty sure you don't live in an empty, pristine place, but there's some misplaced clutter, decorations etc etc there, and I also suspect you don't have a habit of standing blankly in front of your own door for no reason.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Well, I don't know. Yes, you look to be at an early stage of your art studies, but you've managed to make a coherent little world here. This isn't bad. I mean, it shows promise.

How about a little bird on the green at the fork of the road, that woke him up by singing and made him so cross? A TinyBird, if you will.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

thank you for the comment, i know i am concidered a noob here in CA.org but i signed up here to learn and it seems to be allot of amazing help to get here!"

howerver, i choose to add some texture and props and leave the image done since i did not set up a story for it. i figured it will be better to start a new project with a story in it.

here is the final piece
    Name:  trolls cave concept.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  288.4 KB

There is definitely possibility here. Besides the story telling issues there are some more drawing problems as well.
    Your troll is not placed in the space he is occupying - there is no interaction between it and the environment it is in. The rocks have cast shadows, but he does not.
    Your light source seems to be kind of everywhere and nowhere. What time of day is it? What is the light in a forest like at that time of day?
    I have yet to see a forest floor that free of debris, with that much green grass. Do the leaves of deciduous trees in this land of yours never fall to the ground?
    Does the canopy formed by the trees not create any shadow on what is below?
    Right now you have a series of elements (sky, forest, character) that do not relate or interact with each other - there is no cohesion- they are all separate and unrelated.
    Think about where the light is coming from how would it travel through the space you have created. Find some ref. images of forest interiors at different times of day, or if you can go for a walk in a forest, and pay attention to how the light falls on objects.
    This will go a long way to unifying the elements you have created and placed in this image.
    Good work so far, but you are better than this - You have the potential to be better than this. Take the time to think things through: What is the structure behind him? What can you do to make that structure read as the type of structure you want it to be? Why is he standing there? What can you do to communicate the reason for his being there to us? Pay attention to lighting use it to tie all of the elements together.
    Don't stop here. Go back do the work then please post the results. We will be watching for them.

Edit: OP's last post made while I was typing so some comments may be moot.

ok, wow! thank you for all the info... allot makes sence and as you say i am better than this^^ xD i just tend to give up if it starts to go the wrong direction. but as you request i will put some more time into this artwork and take your advices to consideration and after that i will post the result for you to see

GOOD FOR YOU! I did a quickie Google img search for 'forest cave' (cus I think that is supposed to be a cave in your image) and found theseATTACH=CONFIG]1660338[/ATTACH]Name:  ArthursCaveForestofDeanHereford.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  159.9 KBName:  forest.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  180.2 KBName:  landscapes%20nature%20cave%20forest%20hermitage%20evening%202560x1600%20wallpaper_www_wallpaperh.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  523.9 KB They may be useful. You might also want to read through this thread, if you choose to use photo refs. http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ence-correctly

Last edited by Chas; December 14th, 2012 at 12:03 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.