Sketchbook: Just Another Noob Trying to Improve :) - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Just Another Noob Trying to Improve :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel it may be time to start mixing in your knowledge of perspective into life drawing. Try doing some of those exercises vilppu and hampton tell you to do before moving onto anatomy. Stick with that for a while and slowly learn to combine forms together, I also suggest you do tons of form studies to grasp this feeling of perspective in your observational sketches.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good perspective drawings, it's real important to get the feel of perspective so you start to apply it to your complete drawings - that's what gives drawings their third dimension

As always, it's nice to see you improving, and what's even better to see is that you're not afraid to go back to basics when you feel you need to, very nice work

ĒI havenít failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē - Thomas Edison

My (currently) terrible sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shit it's been like 6 days since I've updated. It's pretty much been more of the same. A lot of grids and schoolwork. I'm posting this from my little laptop because my desktop keeps crashing. My scanner is hooked up to it at the moment it's having issues with the spindle or something(I think that was what the error message said O_o lol).

I kind of feel like my classes are distracting from my education a bit. I know that sounds odd but a lot of the assignments kind of lose their usefulness when you move past the first stages I think. For example we did some negative space drawings(separate from the ones I posted) and we were supposed to shade the little patches of negative space in different ways for the sake of making the exercise look like a finished piece to be hung in the hallway. This took like 2 hours for both of them and while I wouldn't say it was a waste of time I don't think it'd be as constructive of a use of time as my own studies.

What it really boils down to is poor time management on my part though. I could handle both my studies and my schoolwork I think if I'm honest with myself. I just have a lot of superfluous bullshit that I need to sort out and I'm dealing with a break up. Excuses -_- I know.

I still haven't forgotten about those Bargue studies by the way.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Beartankmaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its all about finding your rithym i think, there will be weeks where you will do lots more but find a standard you can do that feels comfortable and also feels like you are pushing yourelf, this is so you dont have a burnout like most of us do at some point in the way, thats why so often we all say have fun dude have fun, don look at it like work, i know you dont but i just have to say it yknow? i believe that you evolve way faster when you are both learning and applying at the same time, if you do a study on say, dogs, find a way to do use that and do it without ref sometimes, make a funny character, or a small strip with 6 or 7 panels, whatever strikes your fancy, i normally do little characters and stuffs, its kind of frustrating when the extent of your abilities dont let you go as far as you want to but its also very envigorating to look at how much further you can go now that say, a year ago, have fun dude ALWAYS think hown you could be using what you learnes and what can you learn to do much much better things, keep it up!

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    where'd ya go?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I decided to come back. I'd left when the site was going through a wonky phase and because of some of the drama associated with this website I hadn't really wanted to be a part of it for a while. But I realized that it doesn't really affect me directly. Being on here was a positive thing for me and hopefully for others and to stop that over some trivial bullshit seems a shame to me.

Here's some new stuff. I have a midterm on the 8th but I'm going at this again. I hadn't stopped drawing but my workload wasn't nearly as large without this thread as a motivating factor. Skepticism is understandable concerning my consistencyName:  01.png
Views: 139
Size:  30.3 KBName:  09.png
Views: 143
Size:  275.6 KBName:  08.png
Views: 141
Size:  221.2 KBName:  07.png
Views: 137
Size:  425.7 KBName:  06.png
Views: 140
Size:  366.8 KBName:  05.png
Views: 143
Size:  295.7 KBName:  04.png
Size:  276.8 KBName:  03.png
Size:  221.8 KBName:  02.png
Views: 137
Size:  177.1 KBName:  10.png
Views: 136
Size:  211.5 KB.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more progress pics, this was supposed to be a shark-missile (bro friend requested it) in my head it was gonna have a Tron-type look to it. The execution was questionable

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There was a point where I realized this turtle was starting to look like the Sydney Opera House .___. I don't know if I'll return to it. This was done from imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some of the Bargue studies, I did them more sloppily than I probably should of but I feel like I don't learn much from them. The slow and meticulous copying of shapes, I find, doesn't teach me about structure so much as quick constructive drawings. Nonetheless here they are, as promised; I'm sorry they weren't timely, as promised.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing these have shown me is that me edge control is lacking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aand some more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some composition and color sketches. And here's my working area. I know it's not all that related but I kind of like it and wanna keep it as a memory. I have no desk =D just a bedframe with a sheet of plywood. It's actually kind of cool. It feels like one of those japanese floor-tables.

I find the color sketches incredibly difficult. They're supposed to be quick but inevitably they turn into an ordeal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some drawings from life and some other stuff.

didn't realize two of these were so big. Sorry bout that

Last edited by Beartankmaster; October 3rd, 2013 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A forlorn and unfinished head. I'm not going back and sketching the eye. Look at me. Such a rebel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Digging the bargue studies, especially the gansta-talking old men.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm gonna make a perspective tutorial, not because I think myself qualified to teach it but because I find that if I understand something well enough to break it down and convey it to someone else then I've learned it pretty thoroughly. These are some notes I've taken with a horrendous color sketch. The notes are in a rough format and much of the information I already know but I'm sifting through the resources I have and trying to accumulate the important or interesting bits, then I'll have to format them in a way that makes sense.

If you don't understand the notes that's normal I think. They're not even meant to be understood at this stage, they're just kind of bullet points I want to cover when I make the final tutorial. I'm posting them because I feel like I need to start posting everyday again and I spent like 4 hours studying the subject so my drawing time is more or less elapsed :l

These color sketches take me a very sad amount of time to finish and the results are less than adequate :l like I didn't really even finish this one so much as decide that I'd hit a point of diminishing returns on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! awesome to see you back , I was a little saddened when you stopped posting :0, but seeing your posts now really brightened my day! It's awesome to see that you were still drawing through that hiatus , I can see the improvement! Just to mention, with one point perspective sometimes it could really break things when you show too much of a the side plane, it's mentioned in one of loomis's books.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man good to hear from you. How'd the Sheridan thing turn out? Sorry I bummed you out also.

Before I decided that I didn't wanna kill people brown people for corporations I was considering joining the Marines, I was in a DEP program to get us more physically prepared for bootcamp. We'd go on runs together and it was always a huge morale blow when someone would break pace and start walking. I get that it can be depressing when someone drops out of something and it's not something I intend to do again

Last edited by Beartankmaster; October 5th, 2013 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies! Here are a couple comments.

For your color studies, use a hard, untextured brush, and don't worry about details. Block out the major color blotches of the composition. Do this by squinting so it just becomes a few big shapes. Pretend you have no idea what you're looking at, just try to mimic the things that make the biggest difference when you look at it while squinting. This could be a start, for instance, before squinting again and adding the next thing that makes the biggest difference.
    Name:  colorstudybear.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  19.5 KB

Here's a comment on the 90 degree cube/square:
    Name:  persstudybear.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  147.4 KB

Lastly, something drawn in 1-point perspective can't have multiple VPs. A scene can contain both objects drawn in 1-point and 2-point perspective, like in the study you made this comment/question. 1-point perspective occurs when one of the VPs is so far away that the lines will appear parallell anyway, and with the cube you constructed 45 degrees onto the 1-point perspective doesn't follow that rule anymore, as both VPs are close enough to make a difference to the composition.

Remember I'm no expert, though! Just doing like you, trying to think and learn by talking and teaching. Great studies, keep it up! It's good practice for me to talk about it too, and that circle rule for making 45 degree rotations I just learned from you right now, thanks for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the advice nouge I see what you mean now. I made the mistake of drawing a square from the point the viewer would be standing at(station point), I'll have to revise that in the final. Np on the circle plan also

Last edited by Beartankmaster; October 9th, 2013 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm learning a lot through this method. I'm not even through a portion of the material I wanted to cover and it's already added up to a pretty good deal. It'll probably be a big challenge to streamline all the material in a manner that makes sense. To a certain degree it's already been done by other people but I've been finding that I need to reformat the information that I've found into more streamlined concepts and review things multiple times before they make sense. It's an enjoying challenge.

Anyway that annoying reality I'm faced with is that I need to study for the midterm I have tomorrow so I must pull myself away from this :l only studied perspective a couple hours today. More notes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick little doodle from imagination

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I bought an intuos4 today. It doesn't work. :l found it on craigslist for $160(a large one) which was an awesome price so I was a bit wary, also it was in a town that was an hour drive from where I live. So I went there, and bought it. Turns out the pawn shop had no idea what it was and mistook it for a medium sized tablet and labeled the price lower for this reason. Wasn't able to test it out in the store as there weren't any computers with photoshop, etc. Anyway so I'm pretty pumped driving back. In my head I just ripped off a pawn shop =D normally it's the other way around.

But yeah it doesn't work .___. tried both USB inputs, tried USB ports on my comp that I know are working, tried multiple cables, installed drivers before plugging it in, yadda yadda.

The point of all this is that I wasted 2 hours driving there and back, and another hour getting it to work. aaaaand I have another midterm tomorrow so I'm gonna go get 3 hours of sleep for the second night in a row and have a cramp session when I wake up =D.

I should probably adopt a more consistent lifestyle....nah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was recently exposed to Ernest Watson's idea that the process of learning something should encompass 50 instances of practice for every 1 instance of learning or theory. Study without application is kind of pointless so I'll need to start implementing practice along with these notes.

Btw nouge idk if you know this but what I previously said about the circle plan working in perspective on ellipses is only kind of true, as I found out today :l, I'll have to edit that bit out so no one reads it and becomes misinformed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up your studies! Soon you will be a noob no longer!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks aburnier

so i did some sketching from imagination for about an hour after studying perspective. i'm not gonna upload them. not because I'm embarrassed by them, though my work from imagination is always worse than my work from reference, but because the thought that I mean to upload EVERYTHING is a bit constrictive to me.

it was liberating to sketch out some things that I knew no one would see. I drew on paper for the first time in a while, in ink. Made a lot of choices that I might not have had I decided beforehand that other people were going to see it. If I made a mistake, I left it, which is something I have more trouble doing when I know I'm going to upload something but it's also something that you should do when working in pen as more ink only highlights the mistake.

I had a dream last night about a really sickening creature that the people in my dream called a wewt frog. It was pretty much a cross between a dog, a pig, and a frog and it had a series of eyestalks on it's back growing like fungus. I remember him being pretty repulsive but he was nice enough when we hung out.

Anyway I drew him. It actually came out fairly accurately. As I said before I'm not going to upload it but I might paint it later on down the road.

I played around with facial proportions a bit. Drew a few goblins, a few caricatures, etc. I found it to be a bit frustrating because I was trying to come up with something I hadn't seen before but regardless of what bone structure or feature I'd exaggerate it'd bear a resemblance to something I'd seen illustrated previously. This is to be expected given how long people have been drawing faces I suppose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies as always, but this one isn't entirely correct:

Name:  dichtellipse.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  156.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for pointing that out nouge i'm kind of bummed that it doesn't work cause it'd be so handy but yeah I should've noticed that. It doesn't make sense when you think about it mathematically.

so I was playing around in my head today. Not gonna upload all of it but I'll give you guys an idea of what I was doing. I find that I'm able to very easily visualize different scenes in my head when I close my eyes. Sometimes they morph into other scenes and sometimes they're a conglomeration of things I've seen. Their changing nature makes it difficult to capture them so what I do is close my eyes, after giving myself a starting point on the screen, and trying to get as much of it as I can before it changes.

They're kind of like blind thumbnail sketches I guess. I actually liked the composition in a lot of them. Some of them played out a little bit like a storyboard given that the scenes would morph based on things associated with it sometimes.

I really like this exercise. It's easy to sink time into it and helps with some of the neurotic anxiety that can creep up when I work from imagination. I have to fight myself in making myself do things like this. I have some weird voice in the back of my head that says if I'm not studying I'm wasting time. His reasoning seems to be that instead of working from imagination I should study so I'll be done with the material more quickly and I can produce better work from imagination in the future. If I follow this line of reasoning however there will ALWAYS be more material to learn.

I've accumulated a ridiculous amount of learning material concerning art, 80 gigabytes of books alone, there's no way I can work from that model. I also have a notepad document full of ideas for images or stories. I was saving them for "when I get better" but, again, I'll never be as good as I want to be so it seems a shame to me to let them stagnate. New ideas are popping into my head all the time at any rate. They usually come to me when I'm doing things totally unrelated to art. It's odd because while I've had ideas here and there I haven't had a consistent stream of them until recently.

I think I'm finally starting to get a glimpse into what artists mean when they say they see the world differently also. Ellipses are everywhere, converging lines are everywhere. I have a roommate with very atypical facial architecture and I didn't notice it until recently. I almost drove into the curb today because I was looking at the subsurface scattering on the leaves hanging over the street while thinking "Oh hey I read about that."; aside from the near crash it was a really great experience. The little "clicks" are coming more frequently.

Anyway I'll probably be on again in a couple hours, my sleep schedule is really odd right now given my midterm cramming sessions. Didn't do much perspective today, had a lot of fun though.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 22