Sketchbook: Just Another Noob Trying to Improve :) - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Just Another Noob Trying to Improve :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks Oushua-J if you think I work hard you should check out Mindcandyman and Algenpfleger lol

Did some perspective gridwork today. I'd kind of just draw a bunch of planes on the field, then erase, then draw a bunch of forms, rinse repeat. These are decent example I guess. There were about 15 more grids that got erased. It's just so tedious to stop working and take screenshots, etc. I think I'll set a goal or something like 50 3d environments maybe. Idk it's been difficult to work, not to whine about it but my eyes keep watering and my nose won't stop running :/. The reason I'm working on a grid is to try and internalize it at the moment. I can feel it starting to stick in my head. It's funny how you know the world is in 3d but never really think of it that way until making a concerted effort to see it as such. I've been noticing converging lines in my day to day life a lot more sense starting this whole thing.

Also I tried to make some color wheels by mixing primaries in Photoshop and it's nothing at all like acrylics(durr). This should've been obvious because I'm working in light, not pigment, but I still wanted to try and mix some stuff. I found that I could mix things like purples and oranges okay but if I tried to do greens or any subtractive primaries I just couldn't mix them; it'd come out gray :/.

This is probably a disappointing update. I'll be working more when I recover from this flu. I promise =D

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Beartankmaster; January 20th, 2013 at 04:02 AM. Reason: typo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update. More grid practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been a while since I posted in your sketchbook, so I just wanted to wish you well. Hope you get better quickly. And hey, don't feel bad about the perspective studies! They're not boring, at least not to me anyway. They all came out cool. I like the mecha body one the most though. Are you just working on cubes in perspective or are you actually doing ellipses too? Seems like the ellipses are off in the crane portion of the mecha body pic, but maybe that's just me. Regardless, good job bro! Man, I gotta do some grids like these.

Last edited by eroquii; January 21st, 2013 at 02:13 AM.
    Sketchbook -- Any feedback helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man appreciate it. The ellipses were thrown in carelessly. They're definitely off. I'll focus on making them better but the general purpose of this was to just do enough grid drawing to where it "sinks in" and then proceed to doing them without one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think these are great! How do you make the grids? I see they're even fading towards the horizon, nice touch.

(One thing: The people about to buy tacos are off on size. If they're of equal height, the heads should be along a line that ends on the horizon, which isn't the case now.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks nouge the grids are made from a psd on Matt Kohr's perspective DVD. If you drop me an email at the address I'll PM you I'll put em in a .zip and send them to you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Beartankmaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, awesome perspective studies! you've really gotten a strong knowledge of it. Always glad to see you improving

ĒI havenít failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē - Thomas Edison

My (currently) terrible sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forgot to take my camera to class today but I took a picture of the still life I'm working on with my cell phone. The quality is awful though the camera I have won't be much better :/ the teacher wanted us to put an emphasis on linework and try not to shade though she allowed hatching after the forms were set in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks also Thistleborn I feel like I'm still a beginner with perspective but I appreciate it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems like every time I start rendering by establishing any sort of midtone it comes out worse. I'm probably gonna do two other mannikin's on this page. While I was doing those perspective grid thingies I was listening to some Crimson Dagger interviews and I got bored with just drawing random boxes. I'm going to try to make my drawings tell some sort of story or have some sort of engagement from now on I think. I was gonna have this mannikin chasing after another one or something maybe. I'm not sure. I might try and put them in perspective even! =D I need to sleep first though.

Looking at the "finished image" I'm facepalming so fucking hard at those legs. I might scrap it. My homework assignment is to make three of these. You're gonna see me do nine; but the teacher won't.

edit: by the way I really wouldn't recommend a "Master's Touch" brand mannikin. Probably the stiffest I've ever used, and I heard cracking noises when attempting to put the thing into perfectly reasonable poses. For $8 what can you expect though eh? *shrug

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess perhaps the issue maybe because the paper itself is white. Try shading around the drawing to give it a back tone.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kamikazel33t that's probably a good idea. I might also give toned paper a shot in the future. thanks for the tip

I'm pretty sure these aren't in correct perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tryin to clean up my lines a bit with these in the later ones. These are some I've done in figure drawing so far. Some of them were done blind by the way. So if you see random looking scribbles that's what that is. They're on 18x24 newsprint. Some of them are like 2-3 minutes but most of them are 3. The last few are my favorite I think, but a lot of them came out really fuzzy :/ I'm a mediocre photographer lol. Also the camera isn't all that great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man oh man oh man, im so psyched for you entering any level of art instruction, dude work your ASS off i know you can get better! if youre working with grids why not use carapace? is the most amazing thing ever programmed for making perspective grids you can see how to use it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akBuqIdEp00 look it up on google its from epic games i think its in their blog haha those lates figures look alot more constructed than the ones before, work from simple to complex this is the ultimate lesson i have learned in all of my ventures in to the drawing shebang, anyways im gonna stop rambling now haha and btw dont apologize for making heavy text entries i fucking love those! im entering art school myself in a few months and i would love to read your expierence on it so you better dont stop! and come by my sb if im slacking i give you permission to kick my ass once in a while!

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo just dropping by to give you info on Crimson Daggers - I saw you asking for info in Dave's sketchbook. Joining is simple - just sign up on the forums over there and start posting stuff: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/

Then stay on top of who is streaming here: http://livestreamstatuslist.appspot.com/

But the group itself isn't really that active these days as far as official challenges go - it's run by Dave and Dan Warren but both of them are way too swamped with work. So maybe check out the mentoring stuff and try to latch onto some of those mini groups.

Anyway, see you over there and keep up the hard work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dichotomy nice studies I think though you would benefit more from doing exact studies than loose sketches try doing a bargue study or a still life where you copy exactly what you see-it will train your eye and sharpen your perception.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lionheartGFX

thanks for the encouragement man that program looks pretty interesting. I don't know how long i'll be using the grid though. I eventually want to move to freehand. I've still got my goal of trying to do three times the homework also I've kept up with it on the quantifiable stuff I think, though I still have more mannikins to draw lol . But yeah I feel like I need to work harder all the time.

So far as art school experience goes I'm not really in an art school lol. I'm kind of just takin some art classes at my local community college. I think where I go to school will matter less than how hard I work though. But yeah it's been chill. My drawing teacher is having us move to negative space drawings and we're starting to get more geometric in figure drawing.

I had the craziest model yesterday. He was a retired airforce officer but looking at him you wouldn't guess it at all. He was probably in his late 40s, black and had a lot of tattoos and piercings. Also he had a purple goatee. He disrobed and he had body piercings like everywhere as well. He had what looked like wedding rings hanging from his penis lol. It made me wonder if that was all the times he'd been married or something and he kept them up there as some sort of trophy system.

But yeah he was actually a really good model and held some pretty difficult looking poses. I really appreciated the effort he put into it. I think I've spent too much time on the internet, I was too jaded to even blink when I saw his genital piercings but some other people gasped a bit. lol

Pierce

Thanks so much for the info dude! Kind of bummed to hear it's not very active but that's okay. Maybe it just needs new people or a spark of energy =D!

GrayPersona

YOU WANT A BARGUE STUDY!? YOU'RE GONNA GET A BARGUE STUDY! I'll probably have it up in the next couple of days =D thanks for droppin by and giving some advice man

In the meantime here's another mannikin still life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not happy with this one. I think I didn't push the values enough in graphite and it reads all blurry as a result. Compressed charcoal is Jesus also.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome Perspective studies!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Izene

quick update: my computer is being kind of retarded and not connected to my printer so I'm not able to scan anything right now. I've been trying to fix it the last couple of days. I could also take pictures I guess but I can't find my camera and the quality on my phone is pretty terrible.

I'll be posting soon though, just letting you guys know I haven't died.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more gestures from figure drawing. gonna post more today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some negative space drawings. That Bargue study is gonna be commin up in a bit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketch book man!

"The remarkable thing about going through a disheartening session is that the student is very often on the threshold of marvelous discovery" - Jack Hamm
    >>SKYPE! "xNusku"
    >>SketchBook HERE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Nusku

some quick hands for class

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomy View Post
    Thanks Nusku

some quick hands for class
    Looks awesome! Good job!

"The remarkable thing about going through a disheartening session is that the student is very often on the threshold of marvelous discovery" - Jack Hamm
    >>SKYPE! "xNusku"
    >>SketchBook HERE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see that you're mixing your studies up! It's good that you're thinking about the hands in terms of construction too. Were these from life or photo?

Sketchbook -- Any feedback helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey eroquii these are from a hogarth handout my figure drawing teacher passed out lol. she wants us to draw those and a couple of others including the skeletal structure of the hand before drawing hands from life *shrug

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Removing the description of a nightmare I had as it doesn't really have anything to do with art or my development. Still wanna paint that scene though

on a side note I haven't stopped drawing . it's been mostly schoolwork. I'll upload it soon.

Last edited by Beartankmaster; August 11th, 2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been a while since I updated. This isn't everything. There's been a bit of schoolwork as well that I haven't gotten around to photographing. It's a lot of negative space drawings and gestures from figure drawing. Pretty much the same stuff you've been seeing but a bit bigger.

I feel like I'm getting better at perspective but establishing the depth of the cube from the midline seems kind of arbitrary for me. I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I know I'm not in the first few examples.

The method is on page 36 of Successful Drawing if anyone knows what I'm talking about and can explain it. That'd be awesome lol. also the full circle plan on page 33 O_O it's a bit of a mindbender.

I don't even know how clearly these read. I was trying to use differently colored pens to kind of help with it but it's still a bit convoluted. I think I want to try and be as efficient as I can with my construction lines now.

Drawing from 2d feels so weird now after drawing from life for a while. I don't really like it honestly. I feel like it's not challenging so much as tedious anymore. It's nice to see how other artists have represented things though.

That Bargue study is coming up. I know I said this already but I'm serial .__. lol

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 22