Sketchbook: Just Another Noob Trying to Improve :) - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Just Another Noob Trying to Improve :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Read some Gurney and watched some Vilppu today I also did some 1 minute gesture drawings. I'm not really happy with them. I was thinking about the time limit too much. The ones where I slowed down and focused on my lines tended to be better. I think I'm just going to disregard the time limit and do as I please because I usually end up having to wait like 15 seconds after I'm done anyway. They get a little better as I go along but it's pretty bleh. I'll probably work up to 60 tonight then call it.

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    went up to 60. spent a few extra seconds on the harder poses when I felt like it. maybe it compensates for finishing early on the easier poses? lol these are probably better than the last ones but still shakey. it's hard to get my proportions right when going this fast sometimes. I'll get better at this.

Algenpfleger did 300 of these(though his were obviously better) pretty early on, I'll make that my minimum. I was using lovecastle's script; they've got some pretty cool photos, saved a few for future reference. I think I'll do studies of the harder poses later on, it was mostly horizontal poses that gave me trouble -_- lol These are a little bit darker in person. I feel like my scanner tends to make things lighter and like blue-er? I can't really describe it other than like a white-ish blue.

I think I read somewhere that the old masters used to kindof use white as blue because the pigment for blue was really expensive. Idk...I think it's interesting...anyone else?....guys?...=D lol

I had a lot of fun doing these though. It was relaxing but challenging...O_o I put on some music, got to work and before I knew it, it was 4:00am lol.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated thank you to everyone who's posted thus far. Your input is really valuable to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked up to 120. I feel like I'm missing something here. Maybe I just need more practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so uh...this is another one of those days where my posts will be embarrassing...lol. tried to do some stuff with pens from ccsears mentor thread and then some stuff from this packet my old art teacher had given me. I'm glad I saved it. These are awful but I feel better about using a pen now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I found this pretty cool pencil sharpener today. It attaches to flat surfaces with like a suction cup at the bottom. I was considering moving my workstation to like a library or something so I wouldn't have any distractions and thought it might be good to have.

I actually kind of ruined this drawing a bit it was better before I added a few lines. Still getting the Hang of the pen.

I think I might study some perspective before I do more still life type thingies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I'm gonna post more than this tonight but this is what I have so far since it's been a little bit since I've uploaded something. Pen is a lot harder than pencil for me. It's much more time consuming and cerebral at this point, if I zone out I mess up a lot more. It's discouraging but even though my drawings are awful I like the finished product pretty well. I think maybe it's just because I don't really have any pencils that can make a good black; or maybe that's just me. I don't even know.

If anyone has experience with this and feels like dropping some advice or critique I'd be grateful

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If we don't laugh at our mistakes then others will I suppose. This whole experience so far has been a pretty cool thing for me. I used to think of drawing as something I had to be "inspired to do"; like twice every year or something I'd spend like 3 hours sketching something because I was in the mood.

This has helped me realize that there's nothing really mystical about it. At least not yet O_o; right now it seems to be just a matter of hard work. Still not done for the night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats a good discovery. But blocks can still come. This is a good thing to listen to about being motivated to draw http://www.paperwingspodcast.com/201...reative-block/.
    Also for your gestures did you try to do any from imagination afterwords? Sometimes thats all we need for it to sink in. Test your new found knowledge

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm impressed by the number of gesture drawings you're doing! That's some real good motivation ya got there, also, I like the pen work, practising with the pen helps you be careful with your marks since you can't take them back

And also, I still see a deer, not a donkey So you did a better job than you think - but I also think you're right about the lines on the deer not connecting (from observation, not practice), and the far left cheek is dropped down a bit too low I think? But otherwise it's good! Keep going man! Cheering for you!

”I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

My (currently) terrible sketchbook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Thistlegorm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Wingal

Oh snap! It's you! lol I was checking out your sketchbook the other day, it really inspires me when I see people work as much as you have. I haven't really done any gesture drawings from my imagination also. I might try that. I'm getting tired of all the cross-legged female poses and the fetal position male poses on lovecastle lol. I have no idea why that guy always looks so sad haha. I did, however, do 60 more from reference.

Onwards to 300!

I'm currently listening to that podcast you sent me btw. I just started because I just saw it. I'll let you know if it helps

@Thistleborn

Thanks so much man. Your support really means a lot to me. Idk I guess the feedback helps keep me going or something. Part of the reason I started this sketchbook was so that I'd be publicly accountable and hopefully less likely to burn out. I think I'll be okay cause of people like you lol . Thanks for the critique also, we'll grow together into artists that will make the ground tremble with every step O___O or at least passable ones haha.

The gestures are pretty chill actually btw. I find them kind of cathartic. Like I just put on some music, set a timer and before I know it I've reached the number I aimed for. I'm tryin to do like 60 1 minute poses a day right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know what you mean about being publicly accountable, same reason I did a sketchbook here just hoping if I ever stop posting daily someone will scream "LOSER" and get me back on track; and hey, forget being passable, if we keep working at our pace, we'll be great someday

and this site might help when it comes to poses http://www.quickposes.com give it a timer, and it'll flip through models automatically at your pace, real cool acshully!

Last edited by Thistlegorm; December 18th, 2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo D:
    ”I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thistlegorm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah thanks man checked out that site.

THEY USE THE SAME GUY O_O who is this guy?! lol. at least he's in some different poses on this site. Pretty much all of the ones I got of him on lovecastle had him like curled up into a ball. It got old fast lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's Marcus J. Ranum, his stuff is very well done and very recognizable. http://www.ranum.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingal View Post
    Thats a good discovery. But blocks can still come. This is a good thing to listen to about being motivated to draw http://www.paperwingspodcast.com/201...reative-block/.
    Also for your gestures did you try to do any from imagination afterwords? Sometimes thats all we need for it to sink in. Test your new found knowledge
    Thanks for sending me that man! I'm like 22 minutes in and this makes a lot of sense. Like I remember trying to play a piece on guitar over and over and getting less effective at it the more I burned myself out. The walking away bit also makes a lot of sense. It made me think of Jeff Beck; he apparently spends most of the year fixing up old hotrods.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those gesture studies are very important, don't stop doing them, how big are they if I may ask?
    I still do them overlaping eachother quite often to save up space and time, when the page fills up completly i switch, focus on the image itself and not too much on the time and lines.
    Remember to do strong and confident lines, the body has motion to it and force to certain parts of itself focus on capturing those pasts best!
    Good stuff, keep going.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Caspćo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you my linework is one of my major weakpoints :/ the gesture drawings are done on regular printer paper. It's like 8.5x11. Should they be bigger?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I feel like stippling isn't a good choice for beginners. It's really time consuming and I feel like I could be learning more if I were working faster .___.

I might come back to it when I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright so today was pretty frustrating. Ended up snapping a few pencils. I feel like all of these gesture drawings are really bad. I thought if I worked through the kink it'd kind of go away but it didn't feel like it did. Went up to 300, which was the minimum I'd set for myself. Eventually I want to go up to 1,000. Also did some perspective attempts. Probably did about 5 pages of those though they're pretty much the same as what I'm uploading.

Also I gave myself a challenge to draw 12 straight, consecutive and parallel lines. That took a few pages but I kind of, sort of did it lol.

Idk I feel like I'm in a rut. I'm really irritable right now; everything itches -_- lol. I recognize the frustration though. I've felt it when trying to work out difficult guitar pieces in the past. It usually helps if I just back off of whatever is giving me trouble for a few days and focus on stuff I'm good at. I usually get it after I do that. I just want to be able to create art that doesn't suck.

I'm not done for today though. I still have shit I want to get accomplished. I'm sure the feeling of the grind will go away after a while. I've accumulated some pretty cool reference images. I might try my hand at painting digitally. I just don't really know where to start.

I realized today that I'm kind of jumping around though. It might be better to just pick something and work at it till I have it down. I made a "to do" list.

Gestures
    Flamingo(I promised a friend I'd draw her one)
    Perspective
    Figure Drawing
    Pen Studies
    Still Life
    Self Portraits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, the gestures are just there to capture the pose and give you a bigger visual library, they're not meant to look very good, but I'm sure if you tried to think of a pose, you now have some mental reference to give you a better idea

And hey, about that mental rut, keep in mind what you're doing right now is training, so why not take a day or two where you're just drawing for fun? It might get you motivated to move beyond your rut

P.s. congratulations on the 300 gesture mark!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Thistlegorm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the congratulations and the encouragement man. I really appreciate it. I think I might follow your suggestion; like maybe take some pictures from my inspiration folder that I think are cool and try to copy them, or maybe draw something from my imagination. I feel like my library isn't big enough for that to turn out well though lol :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, great job on doing so many gestures! To make even more progress, you should try out different things while doing them. Perhaps with some you use the side of your pencil and use large sweeping lines to capture the gesture. Don't worry if you're missing a limb or two, and just concentrate on the movement. Also vary the times a little?

Keep going you're doing great!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Whimsnicole For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the encouragement . I've been doing 60 second poses but I might switch it up later. Though I feel like it may be good to try and do some actual studies at this point to give things time to sink in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good going with the mileage.....the number of gesture studies you do inspires me to do more
    keep up the good work

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Xcarbon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcarbon View Post
    good going with the mileage.....the number of gesture studies you do inspires me to do more
    keep up the good work
    thanks man i'm glad I can be of some inspiration at least

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some very basic heads. they're pretty shitty at the moment. I'll be posting more though. I'm gonna try and draw 100 heads after I get the hang of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some eyes off of a David Finch video. They're kind of comic-book-y. I'll probably post some more tonight but I've gotta get ready for something tonight so it might be a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. I tried to give you feedback a day or two ago(it was pretty in depth too!) but I pressed some key accidentally which closed the window and I was not able to recover anything I typed so I was to frustrated to type everything on the same day.

Anyway here are some suggestions in what to practice.

I don't think you should give yourself a number of gestures to do instead make a schedule of doing gestures everyday. I also suggest to ditch anatomy till you are able to draw forms properly. The reason why your head studies are failing is because you can't really draw the forms properly. I suggest you study perspective as well as do tons of form studies that way you can accurately draw the simplified shapes you find that make up any anatomical part of the body(I am saying this because I made this mistake of doing anatomy before learning to draw forms correctly). I also suggest you do tons of drawings from life instead of just photo reference. Also try not to spend so much time on rendering styles just study use of values instead as well as structure.

Good job and keep it up! I will keep tracking your progress and hopefully we can improve together.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

36. The Following User Says Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man thanks to you as well. You're right I hadn't ever really drawn basic shapes before, let alone in perspective. Another poster had suggested that in a CHOW thread. I'm not really sure how to go about the form studies. I guess I could try to find random shapes in regular objects? Would photo reference be okay for basic shapes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used my tissue box for cubes and a cup for a cylinder. You can also try drawing the form of an egg as well as any other simple object. For form studies you normally try to get a feel of the form by drawing in the wrapping contours of the form. Normally it is preferable not to use photo reference since photos are flat images so you won't be able to see the full three dimensional form compared to drawing it from life. For example you can go ahead now and try to draw from life and you will feel that it is a lot different to drawing from a photo because you are trying to capture the three dimensional form onto a two dimensional medium. The more you draw from life the better and you will see more rapid improvement.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

39. The Following User Says Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 22