Sketchbook: Just Another Noob Trying to Improve :)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Just Another Noob Trying to Improve :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just Another Noob Trying to Improve :)

So I'm going to attempt to upload all the artwork that I've created in chronological order. Hopefully this'll showcase some development or something. I've lost or thrown away a lot of it :/ but this is what I have. I'll be embarrassed to upload some of it but I feel it'll be a disservice to viewers not to show any progress I make honestly. Many of these were drawn based off of the works of artists that I no longer remember :/ I'm not claiming any of these as my own work.

I'm trying to devote at least 2 hours a day to drawing in the hopes of one day making a living off of it. I've played guitar for 6 years, often for upwards of 4 hours a day, and I'll take the concepts of learning that I gained from it(consistency, diligence, etc.) and apply it to this. I've never really given this a consistent effort before. I'm excited.

I would appreciate any critique or advice and encourage anyone wishing to contribute such words to be as honest as possible. You won't hurt my feelings and I will appreciate it, I promise.

I consider myself a beginner and my plan at the moment is to familiarize myself with figure drawing to the point where I don't need a reference. I've been working through David Finch's Dynamic Figure Drawing DVD on the body in an attempt to do so and I think after that I'll move on to my Bridgman and Hogarth books.

If anyone has any books or changes to my study plan they'd like to recommend I'd be appreciative. I'm trying to set realistic, short-term goals at the moment as any long term goals I set will probably change due to my lack of knowledge.

I look forward to hearing from you all and hopefully contributing to the community when I've learned enough. This website is amazing. The amount of knowledge has me almost overwhelmed. I have like 20 threads open that I plan on reading haha .

I think I was in 6th grade when I drew this polar bear. I don't remember exactly though.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Beartankmaster; October 3rd, 2013 at 02:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty sure this owl came next.

Last edited by Beartankmaster; January 2nd, 2013 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd drawn this dragon around the same time in English class. It was on notebook paper which is why I had turned the contrast down so much(or up? idk) when I'd scanned it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd drawn the demon thing as a project in English class after we'd read Beowulf. It was supposed to be Grendel but he doesn't exactly fit the description in the book.

The googley eyed guy was a botched face attempt. I was struggling with the eyes so I hid behind the "HURR LOOK SO RANDUM" style. I was a freshman I think.

EDIT: found some of my old work from the same year nothing special but I'm trying to upload everything. They're from a high school art class where the teacher basically just had us copy her drawing or other peoples' and then she'd assign a grade based on how accurate it was. Wasn't a lot of room for creativity and we were forced to use blending sticks on printer paper =D lol

Last edited by Beartankmaster; January 12th, 2013 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't even know why I drew that frog. I think I wanted it to be a stylized representation of one but I need to focus more on fundamentals right now than style. I didn't realize that back then. This is one I'm embarrassed by.

The Gir fanart was also drawn when I was a freshman(in highschool) I believe. So original right? Heh.
    I think I had changed the colors to try and remove some of the smudginess :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really jacked up the shoulder on the Michaelangelo one. The hand is also too small.

The guy with the elvis-y hair was supposed to be an example of gesture practice from a book I had.

It should be obvious what the third is. It's not a good piece but I wish I had scanned it before it got all smudgy.

I don't really know what to say about the tree and the rock. I don't know how to render I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was kind of studying composition linework and value here. Didn't stick with it though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I may have screwed up the whole chronological order thing. I think these were done roughly 2 years ago.

The brain is another one that isn't great but that I wish I had scanned before it got all smudged.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the proportion study was from Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy.

The funny-folk(that's what they're called in the book if you didn't know) were sloppily drawn from Loomis' Fun With The Pencil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first is of course a set of Loomis proportions.

The third one was an exercise from Drawing on The Right Side of the Brain. I don't know it might have been me just being cocky but I had considered that "look at things as values and angles" observation to be kind of common sense. I may revisit the book but I doubt it.

Thorton has no eyes. Let us pity him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I should probably try and make these image sizes smaller. Takes a lot of time :/

This self portrait was done maybe just under 2 years ago? I'm not sure as I don't have it and I'd cropped out the date. I was under the impression then that "lol outlines are for beginners! i'm too 1337 for that." I was a beginner in the first place -_-, still am, but after a guy on /ic/ corrected it for me I decided that I was being stupid for making an outline. Live and learn *shrug

I really like the concept of this Chansey but not how it turned out. If I ever do a "Draw This Again" meme I think I might pick this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The cat was my first experiment with colored pencils. I'm not gonna worry about color until I understand grayscale in the future however.

A few of those were Bridgman poses I think. The one standing upright isn't and his torso is hilariously long compared to his legs lol, nonetheless I said I would upload the embarrassing art too -_-.

Everyone loves spidey right? Just not enough to finish him I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With this portrait I think we'll be caught up with stuff I've done in the last week. It was done over a year ago.

The penguin was done a little over a week ago for me girlfriend. She doesn't draw and she likes penguins a lot so she thinks I'm like a superhero at this lol . It's cute.

The worgen was from(aside from WoW obviously) Matt Kohr's site, ctrlpaint.com. It's a great resource for beginners imo.

More proportions bleh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaand we're up to date. I will unlock the secrets of the arm o____o

I think I might need to focus on being less messy. I had just learned how to draw from the shoulder/elbow and I was excited about the new-found freedom but I think I may have been going too fast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice SB! You're doing pretty much all the right things, except for drawing still lifes, do those regularly!

(I've subscribed, so you better keep posting!)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nouge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for being my first subscriber man I appreciate it. Ty for the advice. I'll integrate some still lifes =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So...I tried a still life...it ended in pain and tears. I think I probably shouldn't have tried something without this much black in it. This was a speaker on my desk. I think I'll do multiple objects next time.

My value control is awful. I think I need to get some actual drawing pencils. I used a #2 for the whole thing :/

Last edited by Beartankmaster; December 14th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good so far Draw, draw, draw!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tsabu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make sure your straight lines are straight! Draw full lines with confidence, don't scribble them back and forth. If you fuck up a line, leave it. Resist the urge to correct it, you would end up with a heavy line that will demand all the attention in your sketch.

You're doin well! Keep at it

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Grafguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job! I think the values are nice, but there is a perspective issue there, can you see it?

I'll give you a hint. The vanishing points of a cube in 2-point perspective (which your speaker is, in a way) are to the right and left of the cube, never both on the same side. Now, try to determine what general direction your two vanishing points are in by looking at where your parallel lines are converging, and see if they are correctly on the same horizon. (This is one of the chapters of Drawing on the right side of the brain! Basic perspective, but oh-so important.)

You can practice this stuff quicker by doing line drawings without values. Attack your weaknesses, you know

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nouge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys thanks again for all the advice. I'm gonna practice trying to draw straight lines.

As for the perspective problem...hmm....I think I made the top too long and my vanishing points aren't correct? I tried to draw out what I had in red and the corrections in green. I feel like I didn't catch something :/ all in all this still life was a very humbling experience. I think after I practice drawing some straight lines I'm going to do some contour drawings from life and then do some Bridgman.

Also seein The Hobbit today =D maybe that'll give me some inspiration I'm unreasonably excited about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I see it! I had two vanishing points on the right side of the speaker? the top-right red line goes off and does it's own thing. I'm gonna have to fix this -_- it'll bug me if I don't.

Let me know if I caught it when you get a chance please

Last edited by Beartankmaster; December 14th, 2012 at 06:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went and saw The Hobbit last night...errr...this morning. I loved it! The Dwarven weapons looked really cool. They were wide and angular kind of like a square-ish gladius. It made sense that a dwarf would use a weapon like that.

I got home at about 3 am and did some Bridgman as well as about 5 pages of trying to draw straight lines from the elbow. I think it may not have been very productive due to how tired I was though but I hadn't drawn that day...and I have to draw every day lol .

I drew the skeleton in profile without erasing any lines to try and avoid making mistakes but I did anyway. Idk I just don't really feel good about any of these. The next time I do a large figure drawing I think I need to make marks for where the head and feet will be so the figure ends up fitting on the page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You give a lot of attention and dedication to your studies, the only critique I can give is that sometimes your symmetry is just a very tiny bit off (post #23 the frontal drawing), but otherwise you seem to realize what went right and what went wrong straight away, so you know you can improve

Overall, I think you're pretty good and have a lot of potential, you really do show energy and spontaneity in your drawings, I love that!

Also, the talking penis in post #10 cracked me up! lol!

ĒI havenít failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē - Thomas Edison

My (currently) terrible sketchbook

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Thistlegorm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying a Character of the Week thingy there isn't really anything original about it but I'm having fun . I don't think I'll finish it though. This is I think the second drawing I've done on my tablet and I don't really know how to use it or how to paint in Photoshop. It's a WIP. I'm not sure if I should change the pose to have him reaching for his mancatcher or not. I feel like mancatchers aren't used enough in fantasy.

I don't really know if I want him to look somewhat playful or more sinister. Or possibly both? idk lol :/ this has some perspective issues I think. I'm not sure if I want to be looking up at the king so his gut is emphasized or to have kind-of a downlooking view to show the surface the goblin is sitting on.

It's not accident if the goblin king owes a lot to the one in The Hobbit given that I just saw it(as previously stated )

I might just scrap it and move on with Bridgman or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the post man glad I made someone laugh hah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doin some color swatches. I think I'll do some Hogarth afterwards. Repetition, repetition...just like guitar lol >_< I don't think the third one went as well. I did three of these in total, though it didn't occur to me to save them till the second.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did some Hogarth tonight. Everything about his drawings radiates power and intelligence to me. None of the muscles or lines just stop from what I've seen; they all flow into each other. I don't fully understand the diagrams he's drawn around some of his figures yet. I hope someday I can use color as effectively as he does.

I repeated some mistakes on my linework with this one :/ it's hard to focus on your lines when you're focusing on learning the anatomy. I think I may have to just repeat one or the other until it's automatic and I don't have to think about it. Lines would be easier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomy View Post
    I think I see it! I had two vanishing points on the right side of the speaker? the top-right red line goes off and does it's own thing.
    That's it! Good job with the correction and your studies

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 22