Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Another Noob Trying to Improve :)

Thanks

Just Another Noob Trying to Improve :)

So I'm going to attempt to upload all the artwork that I've created in chronological order. Hopefully this'll showcase some development or something. I've lost or thrown away a lot of it :/ but this is what I have. I'll be embarrassed to upload some of it but I feel it'll be a disservice to viewers not to show any progress I make honestly. Many of these were drawn based off of the works of artists that I no longer remember :/ I'm not claiming any of these as my own work.

I'm trying to devote at least 2 hours a day to drawing in the hopes of one day making a living off of it. I've played guitar for 6 years, often for upwards of 4 hours a day, and I'll take the concepts of learning that I gained from it(consistency, diligence, etc.) and apply it to this. I've never really given this a consistent effort before. I'm excited.

I would appreciate any critique or advice and encourage anyone wishing to contribute such words to be as honest as possible. You won't hurt my feelings and I will appreciate it, I promise.

I consider myself a beginner and my plan at the moment is to familiarize myself with figure drawing to the point where I don't need a reference. I've been working through David Finch's Dynamic Figure Drawing DVD on the body in an attempt to do so and I think after that I'll move on to my Bridgman and Hogarth books.

If anyone has any books or changes to my study plan they'd like to recommend I'd be appreciative. I'm trying to set realistic, short-term goals at the moment as any long term goals I set will probably change due to my lack of knowledge.

I look forward to hearing from you all and hopefully contributing to the community when I've learned enough. This website is amazing. The amount of knowledge has me almost overwhelmed. I have like 20 threads open that I plan on reading haha .

I think I was in 6th grade when I drew this polar bear. I don't remember exactly though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Beartankmaster; October 3rd, 2013 at 02:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure this owl came next.
    Last edited by Beartankmaster; January 2nd, 2013 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks
    I'd drawn this dragon around the same time in English class. It was on notebook paper which is why I had turned the contrast down so much(or up? idk) when I'd scanned it.

Thanks
    I'd drawn the demon thing as a project in English class after we'd read Beowulf. It was supposed to be Grendel but he doesn't exactly fit the description in the book.

The googley eyed guy was a botched face attempt. I was struggling with the eyes so I hid behind the "HURR LOOK SO RANDUM" style. I was a freshman I think.

EDIT: found some of my old work from the same year nothing special but I'm trying to upload everything. They're from a high school art class where the teacher basically just had us copy her drawing or other peoples' and then she'd assign a grade based on how accurate it was. Wasn't a lot of room for creativity and we were forced to use blending sticks on printer paper =D lol
    Last edited by Beartankmaster; January 12th, 2013 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks
    I don't even know why I drew that frog. I think I wanted it to be a stylized representation of one but I need to focus more on fundamentals right now than style. I didn't realize that back then. This is one I'm embarrassed by.

The Gir fanart was also drawn when I was a freshman(in highschool) I believe. So original right? Heh.
    I think I had changed the colors to try and remove some of the smudginess :/

Thanks
    I really jacked up the shoulder on the Michaelangelo one. The hand is also too small.

The guy with the elvis-y hair was supposed to be an example of gesture practice from a book I had.

It should be obvious what the third is. It's not a good piece but I wish I had scanned it before it got all smudgy.

I don't really know what to say about the tree and the rock. I don't know how to render I guess.

Thanks
    I was kind of studying composition linework and value here. Didn't stick with it though.

Thanks
    I may have screwed up the whole chronological order thing. I think these were done roughly 2 years ago.

The brain is another one that isn't great but that I wish I had scanned before it got all smudged.

Thanks
    I think the proportion study was from Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy.

The funny-folk(that's what they're called in the book if you didn't know) were sloppily drawn from Loomis' Fun With The Pencil.

Thanks
    The first is of course a set of Loomis proportions.

The third one was an exercise from Drawing on The Right Side of the Brain. I don't know it might have been me just being cocky but I had considered that "look at things as values and angles" observation to be kind of common sense. I may revisit the book but I doubt it.

Thorton has no eyes. Let us pity him.

Thanks
    I should probably try and make these image sizes smaller. Takes a lot of time :/

This self portrait was done maybe just under 2 years ago? I'm not sure as I don't have it and I'd cropped out the date. I was under the impression then that "lol outlines are for beginners! i'm too 1337 for that." I was a beginner in the first place -_-, still am, but after a guy on /ic/ corrected it for me I decided that I was being stupid for making an outline. Live and learn *shrug

I really like the concept of this Chansey but not how it turned out. If I ever do a "Draw This Again" meme I think I might pick this one.

Thanks
    The cat was my first experiment with colored pencils. I'm not gonna worry about color until I understand grayscale in the future however.

A few of those were Bridgman poses I think. The one standing upright isn't and his torso is hilariously long compared to his legs lol, nonetheless I said I would upload the embarrassing art too -_-.

Everyone loves spidey right? Just not enough to finish him I guess.

Thanks
    With this portrait I think we'll be caught up with stuff I've done in the last week. It was done over a year ago.

The penguin was done a little over a week ago for me girlfriend. She doesn't draw and she likes penguins a lot so she thinks I'm like a superhero at this lol . It's cute.

The worgen was from(aside from WoW obviously) Matt Kohr's site, ctrlpaint.com. It's a great resource for beginners imo.

More proportions bleh

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast