Exoplanet design: alien world.
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Exoplanet design: alien world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exoplanet design: alien world.

This was my first attempt on image compositing, building a city up on the dark side. Wanted to get a crit on the progress so far, and perhaps some tips to show it off some more.

Name:  Space city 3.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  425.9 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you really have to decide what you are doing this FOR. Concept design has its own rules, illustration, comics etc. It looks cool, but other than that I don't know what to tell you. It would be a fun loading screen. Artistically I'd like it to be a little more off center, the planet takes up roughly half the image space, which is kind of boring. The city on the dark side seems waaaay too bright. Darkening it would bad a lot of tonal variation, rather than having a lot of black and two bright spots. The multiple parallel lens flares screams Star Trek to me. Not bad necessarily, but a little too close for my taste. I'd also throw in some stars to liven up the background a little bit. You can play with their size/brightness/whatever to push them forward or push them back depending on what you want to do.

You should check out my site! Yes you!

www.mlharris.carbonmade.com

and the devarts...
    michaelharris.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought about what you said and made some changes, darkening/ adding some other elements to draw away from the planet taking it all up. This was ment to be a quick concept design. I haven't really done too many full planet scenes and this was my attempt. Thanks for your help!

Name:  Space city 4.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  445.4 KB

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry but lazy copypaste is lazy. The satellites don't fit the image naturally at all (both considering the environment and the context of the weird alien tribal marking planet), and I can't say that the added stars would improve the image either.
    If it's just a quick concept, then I suggest you keep doing more, with specific things in mind you want to show. Like yeah, it's an alien planet, but we don't know what this is supposed to show specifically (environment of the planet, how advanced the aliens are, is the planet supposed to come off as creepy or nice, etc) and so it's hard to say whether you succeeded on it or not.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It doesn't look like a city at all, more like markings which are not in the same perspective as the planet. Instead of satellites, I would put a space ship coming to or leaving the planet.

Home of the Killer Concept Art Tutorials
    www.conceptartmasters.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.