Struggling and need a prod in the right direction.
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Struggling and need a prod in the right direction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Struggling and need a prod in the right direction.

I'm starting to take my art very seriously, I've hit 30 and finally decided art is where I want to go, it eats away inside of me when I'm not doing something with art or graphics. However I've hit a wall, I know I need to improve...I just don't know what to tackle and really what to study. I think I'm struggling with form and perspective, but I'm not sure. I'll just include my deviant art gallery instead of posting tons of images, it has a good mix of things I've done. http://cluly.deviantart.com/

Tools I use:

- Wacom Bamboo Pen (Small) Is this a factor? I personally don't think it is...I like it.
    - MyPaint, Krita, GIMP (Linux user.)
    - Sketch Book and Pencils.

What I want to get out of my art:

I'm ok as a "draw what you see" artist, but I really want to pull things out of my head and understand what I'm drawing, wheather its for concept art/illustration or even 3d. I'm not sure if I want to do enviroments or characters or both. I do know I want to work on game related art, and it's a little dream of mine to work on a small highly polished indy game one day (when I'm good enough.)

I'd really value any advise from you guys, even if you don't consider yourself a brilliant artist; if you see something I'm missing please let me know.

Cluly

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya!
    If you're having doubts about form and perspective, then definitely practice that till you feel really strong at it. It seems to me you could also benefit a lot from really getting into form practice.

The main thing that stood out to me as needing work is balancing the values in your pieces. In my opinion far too many of them have strong blacks for shadows, making the images a bit too contrasty. I'm still very much learning the foundations too, but you said you want advice from anyone, so my advice would be to practice using a wider value range, and to avoid black except for occlusion shadows (which means small crevices where no light enters). Many of your images (such as the ones of ships in space, and many of the environments) have huge black areas which feel like they are "left out", rather than being used in some way that helps the whole image. Some of the city-scape backgrounds also felt very flat (the perspective you mentioned perhaps).

A good way to practice this would be doing lots of studies from life. Shadows are never black like that, so it'll help you figure out how do them. If working from photographs, convert them to greyscale first and do the studies in black and white.

A good practice to doing forms is to simply go ahead and do them. Pull things out of your head and attempt to represent them on paper in 3d, using simplified shapes, drawing through the form, etc, engage your mind and analyse, etc.

And it seems youre already on your way to doing games! Great work on some of those 3d assets

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aks9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ya,
    I think you should know which one do you like the most and focus on it first, then expand yourself to other sides. From what I can see on your gallery, I guess you like the robotic style, I think you need more practicing on based form, shadow and light source. Looking at the the robotic art/workflow of professional artist could also help you find out what your missing.

“The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams.”

Good luck man

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kinglucifer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluly View Post
    I'm starting to take my art very seriously, I've hit 30 and finally decided art is where I want to go, it eats away inside of me when I'm not doing something with art or graphics. However I've hit a wall, I know I need to improve...I just don't know what to tackle and really what to study. I think I'm struggling with form and perspective, but I'm not sure. I'll just include my deviant art gallery instead of posting tons of images, it has a good mix of things I've done. http://cluly.deviantart.com/

Tools I use:

- Wacom Bamboo Pen (Small) Is this a factor? I personally don't think it is...I like it.
    - MyPaint, Krita, GIMP (Linux user.)
    - Sketch Book and Pencils.

What I want to get out of my art:

I'm ok as a "draw what you see" artist, but I really want to pull things out of my head and understand what I'm drawing, wheather its for concept art/illustration or even 3d. I'm not sure if I want to do enviroments or characters or both. I do know I want to work on game related art, and it's a little dream of mine to work on a small highly polished indy game one day (when I'm good enough.)

I'd really value any advise from you guys, even if you don't consider yourself a brilliant artist; if you see something I'm missing please let me know.

Cluly
    Hello,

I just have one recommendation; if you have the time and the money, try looking for some private lessons from some one on your area that you know masters all of this. It will surprise you how many talented painters give private lessons on the afternoons.

Hope it helps,

Ion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol sounds like were both in exact same situation, im 29, and i'd say your ahead of me actually so take my advice with grain of rice so to say lol.

But we have the same thinking passion wise.

Only thing I can suggest is http://www.ctrlpaint.com/ and http://www.youtube.com/user/Sycra for free resources, and all scotts stuff I think for GREAT foundation http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto.../#.UMj73G-sh8E 40- 50 $ each tho.

For design sensibility http://fengzhudesign.com/tutorials.htm.

But if you really want a kick in the right direction try free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEU03Q5H5sU and buy: http://www.conceptdesignworkshop.com...carlovol2.html volume 2 he REALLY tells you about the business and gives a nice motivational kick

Cool deviantart gallery, you seem to have good grasp on 3d, probaby just need to trasform it into more form in your 2D, but I like the designs.

I also seen you had a portrait of (Is that you son) if it is maybe you could give me some advice on how you find time to do your art and when/How lol im struggling being a dad and finding the space not to be disturbed. Also did you decide to stop work and dedicate yourself to art or are you still in the middle....? I myself am struggling with this decision. Hopefully we can motivate each other??

Just a suggestion Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    Lol sounds like were both in exact same situation, im 29, and i'd say your ahead of me actually so take my advice with grain of rice so to say lol.

But we have the same thinking passion wise.

Only thing I can suggest is http://www.ctrlpaint.com/ and http://www.youtube.com/user/Sycra for free resources, and all scotts stuff I think for GREAT foundation http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto.../#.UMj73G-sh8E 40- 50 $ each tho.

For design sensibility http://fengzhudesign.com/tutorials.htm.

But if you really want a kick in the right direction try free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEU03Q5H5sU and buy: http://www.conceptdesignworkshop.com...carlovol2.html volume 2 he REALLY tells you about the business and gives a nice motivational kick

Cool deviantart gallery, you seem to have good grasp on 3d, probaby just need to trasform it into more form in your 2D, but I like the designs.

I also seen you had a portrait of (Is that you son) if it is maybe you could give me some advice on how you find time to do your art and when/How lol im struggling being a dad and finding the space not to be disturbed. Also did you decide to stop work and dedicate yourself to art or are you still in the middle....? I myself am struggling with this decision. Hopefully we can motivate each other??

Just a suggestion Good luck!
    Thanks for the links, I've sat through most of them apart from that last one. you might like www.enliighten.com also. Yup that's my son, he's seven now and its a lot easier sitting drawing or painting as my computer is in the living room and he loves his xbox (this wasn't really possible when he was younger, kids tend to be suicidal, lol.)

As for other time, I have a fair bit even with a job and family life, I work nightshifts in a care home and I basicly get to sit down for 8 hours and learn/watch training videos (exactly why I took the job.) I'm also not a great sleeper and tend to be awake in bed reading for an hour or two. I also spend too much time watching these videos and put off practising (Anxiety/Scared of failing/general procrastination.) But once you watch everything you possibly can, there's not much excuse for not doing it I guess. Yeah I understand the 3D work quite well but I think it needs backed up with strong foundation skills to really make it work.

Mind If I see your work? It does sound like we're in the same position, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, Where did my post go...I just replied with a wall of text...lol.
    EDIT: There it is _

Last edited by Cluly; December 12th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ZubiForce View Post
    Hello,

I just have one recommendation; if you have the time and the money, try looking for some private lessons from some one on your area that you know masters all of this. It will surprise you how many talented painters give private lessons on the afternoons.

Hope it helps,

Ion
    Thanks! I never really gave that any thought...I doubt I would have the funds for this, however I shall look into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeh your right, I do end up procrastinating using the videos as an excuse :/ and have also realised theirs no excuse lol.

I do need get some stuff up but I am a bit like brad as he said in his vid not quite ready to post until I feel I have something worthwhile, I kinda just end up lurking around conceptart.org every now and again till the admins tell me to get to drawing or get a sketchbook up ( which I think is what I should be doing) .

I am trying to stop getting stuck in the getting the foundation down before I go to final but I seem to keep struggling with putting all the knowledge together in one piece rather than individual exercises.

Amazing how many excuses one can come up with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also spend too much time watching these videos and put off practising (Anxiety/Scared of failing/general procrastination.) But once you watch everything you possibly can, there's not much excuse for not doing it I guess.
    i think theres a danger in that. at least thats what happened to me. i learned a lot during one of my last gigs, but had no time to digest it through practise. here i am now with all that knowledge, im having a hard time applying and thats frustrating, because nothing i do meets the standards that have been introduced. fear of failing squared.

my advise is try to keep your knowlegde and practise levels close. doing art is a hard path and you might want to have moments where youre feeling successful every now and then, to recharge motivation and energy. feeling successful though (at least for me) only happens after youve applied something successfully, not after you learned a certain something. so after everything youve learned from those vidoes, tutorials, books, forums, etc... you should make sure you become able to apply it, before moving on to the next.

[edit] xopher beat me to it.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I never really gave that any thought...I doubt I would have the funds for this, however I shall look into it.
    If you find anything with a price that suits you, give it a try. I went to private lessons and It helped me a lot, you learn really fast. Theres nothing like a teacher to teach you, the name say it. Although you have a lot of material on the internet, is not the same.

I went 3 hours per week and it was 74€ the moth. It was indeed expensive, but I know of places that where cheaper(Is just that this lessons where right front of my house, I could see the room from my windows).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.