Need help with perspective
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need help with perspective

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need help with perspective

Hello,

I'm relatively new to digital arts. I've been messing around with perspective and on my new project I am stuck, because I don't know if it is right. It looks right, but not sure if it really is.
    The thing is, I started with a one-point perspective... then, for the houses on the left side I added another vanishing point, so it became a 2 point perspective. My problem now are the houses on the right side. For them I added the vaninshing point number 3. Both houses share the vanishing point number 2 in the middle of the pic.

If I want the houses to stand parallel to each other, do I have to use vanishing point number one also for the houses on the right hand side?

Here's a pic:

Name:  help.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  67.4 KB

Hope somebody can help me out.

Thanks in advance for help!

Cheers André

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To answer your question, yeah, use VP1 for the houses to stand parallel, at the moment the street would be a cone shape i think with VP3 being used. There's also a chance that VP1 & VP2 could be too close to each other but I'm not entirely sure. :X
    You could also use 1 point perspective if you wanted the classic western looking down the street view.

Perspective Made Easy by Ernest Norling is a good book for perspective understanding, or TAD do some good videos on it too if you need to brush up. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Kode; December 11th, 2012 at 05:42 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kode For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 398 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by a-k-m View Post
    Hello,
    If I want the houses to stand parallel to each other, do I have to use vanishing point number one also for the houses on the right hand side?
    Yes.

What you're actually doing is sort of fudging curvilinear perspective, like this:

You have three dimensions to work with. So if you're using one-point perspective, two of those dimensions will not have vanishing points—they will be parallel. In your case, the horizontals and verticals will all be parallel, verticals and horizontals, and all the lines going forward-and-back will go to the some vanishing point. Like this:
    Name:  helped.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  85.0 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Corlan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If want both row of houses to be parallel then each have to go to the same vanishing points. Whether it's one, two or three points. You don't split it up as you have done. I hope that makes sense.

Joining you in the ABCs of faith: Action, Belief and Confidence
    My web comics
    Just Create - my blog about how to create comic books
    YouTube Tutorials and stuff

Howard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello a-k-m:

Corlan above is correct. What you're drawing is in effect a fish-eye lens perspective. What I think what you're trying to do is just 2 point.
    Try removing the #3 and re-draw those right-hand buildings using #2 vp. What you're left with is a building much closer to the foreground, coming toward you (as if the camera is close to that right hand wall.

If you want to add a 3rd point, then it should be in the z-axis (vertical, as if the camera is tilting up a bit.) Your current horizon-line below the midpoint suggests a very mild perspective from a slight tilt-up.

It might help to look through a camera, or use 3d software to experiment and observe how camera position affects perspective.

* One thing to keep in mind: The closer vanishing point #1 is to the picture's center, the more extreme (and distorted) the perspective. The opposite is true as well. Try moving it further away (to the left in this case) to relax the image a bit.

Perspective can be very tricky, but keep trying. Hope these suggestions help.

Donovan Valdes
    Sr. Concept Artist
    Redstorm/Ubisoft

Portfolio: www.donovanvaldes.com
    Private tutoring: www.conceptcritique.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Corlan View Post
    What you're actually doing is sort of fudging curvilinear perspective
    Specifically, cylindrical perspective. There is a place for this (for example, in animation backgrounds for traveling shots), but not when you're first starting out.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the tips! Really helped me out and I learned some new stuff (distorted perspective with vp too close to other vp, etc.)

I started first with a 2 point perspective (added the vp 3 later). But it didn't seem right. Now I understand that the first house on the right hand side was just too close to the foreground.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.