Identifying colors
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Identifying colors

Hello, beginner here. I'm trying to paint digitally for the first time, and I don't know how to match colors from a visual reference to the palette. For example, while attempting to paint an apple, I haven't a clue which color to start with, or how to select colors for highlights. Does anyone simply start with primary colors and mix as if one was working with real paint? Or do most find the exact color of interest from the palette?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,889 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I use real paints but it might help to decide which primary you think the color is. From there place your color note and then compare to the thing you are trying to copy. You can then adjust the idea of the color based on the comparison you make. So say you start with a red apple, pick a color of red you think it is close to and paint with it then compare what you've painted to the real thing. Decide if it needs to be lighter darker or needs more saturation or less. Keep doing that for all the colors you see.

Bumskee used to have a painting apple an tutorial on here but the image links are broken to the one I have bookmarked. Maybe someone else has the image steps saved

Last edited by dpaint; December 10th, 2012 at 09:33 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In addition to dpaint's suggestion, don't just focus on the apple, but also on the table, the background, the highlights and the shadows, Keep comparing colors, answering questions like "Is the apple really so much more red/dark/whatever than the table?" As an exercise, focus on colours, do little swatches at the right place, and forget about blending"

Grinnikend door het leven...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eezacque@xs4all.nl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an updated version of the Bumskee Apple Thread, complete with images as far as I can tell from a quick look:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...inting-In-PS-2

That was a good thread...

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 319 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The key to this is to think of colours in terms of dimensions of hue, value and chroma, and more than half the battle is to learn to judge value.
    http://www.huevaluechroma.com/011.php

You can think of hue and chroma in relative terms, but it is extremely useful to learn to think of value in terms of an absolute scale.

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy@ashtons View Post
    1. Buy, or better still make a greyscale of nine perfectly evenly spaced and numbered steps (or seven or eleven steps - the odd number is important so that you have a middle grey).

2. Practice analyzing scenes in terms of those values. Decide what component of the scene needs to be near-white and what needs to be near-black, and then what component would you want to make a middle or number 5 grey, and then a number 7 grey, so on. Squint!

3. Mix up pools of paint of each of the greys (or a greyscale palette if you work digitally) and then test and if necessary correct your decisions by making a thumbnail sketch.

4. Repeat until you can confidently see scenes in terms of these value steps.
    Then begin painting in full colour, still thinking about value 100% as much as when you were painting in greyscale. Focus on the most important nine or so colours in the whole scene, and see how your mixtures look in a miniature thumbnail without blending, as eezacque@xs4all.nl said. Try to get the effect of light from just those nine colours.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to briggsy@ashtons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could try the color picking game. You look at a spot and try to find the color that matches it. You make a spot of that color and then color pick the spot and compare. Do it for a whole image and see if you are better in the end than at the beginning. Surrounding the spot with neutral gray helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Here's an updated version of the Bumskee Apple Thread, complete with images as far as I can tell from a quick look:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...inting-In-PS-2

That was a good thread...
    That thread is what made me create an account here and become involved! Great thread.

Whatever happened to Bumskee?

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.