Art: My logo design
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: My logo design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My logo design

Here is a logo design I made for class a few months ago. How is it? The business card design might be lacking and poor{I later worked for a graphic design place, and found that this original card I made woudn't be good for printing.

The logo itself is what I like though, and how it looks on the back of the card is quite interesting.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The logo itself, the symbol, is quite different and somewhat interesting. I am not sure how it really relates to freelance artist though? It is suggesting you are good at geometry and perhaps even technical work. Are you? You might want to consider either redesigning it so that it represents you and your style and what you do OR you can always emphasise the symbol, make it into decoration rather than a logo that is supposed to represent with you.

In an ideal world, if you're designing a logo in the form of a symbol, it must represent something, it must be relevant in the way that it reads and feels, almost like a character design. It represents you!

I would consider re-thinking your typography. Nothing lines up! And the typography is far too close to the edge of the card. A big no-no.
    When you type anything, you must always consider what is the most important, what do we want to see first?

The first thing that should be seen on a business card, in most cases, is the business name. Then your name and what you do. Contact info is important but it needs to be read last, as a conclusion.
    The sizes in your type are all fairly similar. Remember that a good printer can print around 9pt font sizes and sometimes even smaller, depending on the font of course!
    So really you need to stagger your types size as well as perhaps boldness, to make it stand out and read easily as well as look slick! Typography is art itself, never forget!

Quick typography rules to keep you in the loop;
    1. No more than 2 typefaces on one design
    2. No more than 2-3 font sizes in one design (body text, roughly speaking)
    3. It MUST line up somehow
    4. Space your letters out with the use of letter-spacing (this is called tracking) You don't always want to do this, but you'll find as soon as you manually control this and get into, you improove your typography by a mile.

Now I live in England so our addresses are slightly different, but I might consider putting the address all one 1 line separated with comma's. This should free up some line space.

Unless you want to keep your address and contact info in that format, then you desperately need to go vertical!

For example:

Name:  bcard 1.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  76.3 KB

Name:  bcard 2.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  110.9 KB

Now the awfully scribbly 'x's are where I am trying to illustrate where spacing should be equal to each other (it's not though, because I have done this very very quickly). You should map out your document, use your guides! Ensure that the negative space is complimenting each other just as much as the positive space. White space is good and you'd do well to make use of it. Spacing is so important, how much space you use to seperate your paragraphs, titles, words, letters... pretty much anything will effect your design. It's a good rule of thumb to try to go for an equal, balanced look. Of course all designs are different and you don't have to have everything equal. Dividing into thirds can be a nice way to design most documents!

This is my first time sort of 'critting' someone's work on here so I really hope I haven't come across offensively and I hope this is helpful!

I think your symbol is nice because of the way that it tilts and interacts with each others inner shapes. It's got something going for it and I like it. Does it really describe you is not a question I can answer however.

Thanks,

Katey x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KateyParr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by deleela1 View Post
    Creativity and not ordinary is how you want to go. Any graphics program can work even MS paint. I suggest you go to a local printing company and ask a designer. Some will offer to make a logo for you to your specs for a decent price and maybe on the side. Another thing you can do is join a forum and ask for a signature but don't tell them what it is for but give the creator credit.
    I personally don't think you should listen to this advice.

Members who have read this thread: 4